AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference in quality between an optical cable out from the PS3 to the receiver vs. using the HDMI cable for audio also? I am currently using the HDMI cable for audio & video (passed through the receiver) and my new Denon receiver only seems to be receiving a "5 CH Stereo" audio signal.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Can you elaborate? First off you need to tell us what's the model number.

Then what does it sound like.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I have the 3800ci and I know you have to set the audio in as Direct to get dolby digital otherwise if you have it det to 5ch it will overide it.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I used to have my PS3 connected to my receiver via optical but now it's HDMI. Only keep the Optical for PS2 game, if i recall correctly i read somewhere that you can only get surround sound from PS2 game on BC PS3 from Optical.. haven't tried it yet.

Also, I don't remember which audio signal is the top-notch Bluray but it can only be delivered via HDMI. So I'd go with HDMI if you really want to get the best audio signal

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard /forum/post/15563000

Only keep the Optical for PS2 game, if i recall correctly i read somewhere that you can only get surround sound from PS2 game on BC PS3 from Optical.. haven't tried it yet.

Not true. Over HDMI you have to uncheck the sound output options beyond 2-channel to get surround from a 2-channel source (like PS2 games or CDs).

The difference is in how the PS3 outputs audio data via HDMI v. optical. The sound quality is exactly the same, but HDMI lets you also get the HD audio codecs.

But for some odd reason, when the PS3 outputs multichannel PCM over HDMI, it will always send audio at the maximum channel output you have selected in the XMB. So if you have your PS3 configured for 5.1 and you're playing a 2-channel source, you will only ever hear 2 channels of audio (the other channels are sent blank). Likewise if you have the PS3 configured for 7.1 and you're playing a 5.1 source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts