AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Astro Gaming A40 headset and MixAmp for gaming with my Xbox 360. The Xbox is first gen and connects to my amp using component video and toslink optical audio. I then have an optical audio cable coming out of my AVR to the A40 MixAmp. This works great for Dolby Headphone technology. I just bought a PS3 and connected it to my AVR using HDMI. I cannot get PS3 audio using the optical out cable going to my A40 MixAmp. Is there anyway to get the PS3 to send audio through the optical outup of my AVR? My AVR is a Denon AVR-890. I thought about running an optical audio cable from the PS3 to the AVR, but both of the optical inputs on the AVR are being used by the Xbox and my older PVR.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
If it has coax connections use that. Its the same thing as optical - both are spdif.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The PS3 doesn't have coaxial audio out, only toslink optical. Is there a PS3 cable I can purchase that will do coaxial audio?

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the jist of the issue is that audio input into an AVR via HDMI cannot be output from the AVR through an optical cable. The only way to do this is to also feed in audio to either optical or coaxial audio inputs.

I guess a follow-on question is that if I configure the PS3 to distribute audio from both HDMI and from Optical, will it prevent the PS3 from passing newer BD lossless formats due to the lower standard of having optical enabled?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Does your PVR have coax? As Knucklehead said it is the same as optical. I know the 360/PS3 are optical only. Most DVD, Blu-Ray, Cable Boxes, etc have both types of connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts