AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally tired of manually switching my audio and video cables, but I can't seem to find any products that will do what I am looking for. To help with the explanation, I've included a diagram of my setup. I'm leaving out the multiple audio outputs and multiple monitors/TVs for now, which narrows my needs down to this diagram.

Attachment 191821

My first attempt at solving this was a receiver, but I could not find any with an optical out.

My second approach lead me to eliminating the PS2 which narrows the requirements even further to HDMI/optical ins and HDMI/optical outs. With this in mind, and the fact that each system has an optical out, I could have a video switch and audio switch. I found HDCP compliant HDMI switches, but oddly enough, could not find optical audio switches.

After reading through numerous forums (including here), I found some people mention preamp processors. This makes sense because I don't need an amplifier in my solution, but these seem to start in the $2000+ range.

At this point I am open to suggestions to solving this setup issue. I would like to find a solution that is relatively cheap (4-5 HDMI input receiver range) as most receivers already do what I'm trying to accomplish, but send the audio to their internal amp instead of supplying a digital output. Ultimately, I would like to avoid breaking out the breadboard.

I know this question will probably come up as it would seem that it's not the norm. My optical audio output requirement is based on my headphones as one of my audio outputs. And although some devices split the audio out of the HDMI (like my TV), they only do so in stereo where i need 5.1 surround.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
The problem you will face is that HDMI sources often do not permit the audio to be output in digital form over unencrypted links like S/PDIF (optical or coax). You can still get 5.1 by feeding the source audio as S/PDIF into the switching system.

And while there a lot of AV switchers out there, they handle S/PDIF as coax, not optical. That can still work but then you'd presumably still need a coax to optical converter to feed the HTIB, which work nicely.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
A decent used processor may do what you want. I have one of these (I'm no longer using - replaced with a receiver):

http://www.keydigital.com/IW_Product...RO&Company=KEY

It has optical out, but only 2 hdmi inputs. I used it for what you seem to need: I fed it to a htib system (although I only went stereo analog out).

Also, I never ran audio over hdmi through it, so I don't know how well it would handle that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.