AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just switched to D*, got two Sony W60 UTV's...

Tried to connect one of them to my Sony STR-DE835.. no sound.

I'm used to a dish 501 that always used that same optical port, so I'm wondering if the port goes unused if there isn't a DD signal, or..

W60 had the factory software build... was the optical port active with that software, or..

Is there some hidden menu that I haven't seen to turn it on...?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Try home>settings>screen audio>digital audio for starters... :)

DD is defaulted to off so you don't damage speakers if your A/V is not DD ready....

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had 2 selections there, pcm or dd when available, and neither setting works... my 835 handles pcm or dd, but this setting just didn't do anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this happen and it turned out the optical plug wasnt plug into the UTV box, the UTV box didnt hold the plug was well as the dishplayer did and it kind of popped out. It took me a few minutes to figure this out.

dave

half the messages i post on here are for problems i had that just turned out to be something not plugged in.

·
Registered
524 Posts
neilster73:

You getting a red light out the back? If so how about at the end of your optical cable?

What happens when you remove the analog audio cables? No sound? If you get PCM then the DD should work if Direct is feeding it... Check t he first 5 minus of a PPV movie that is DD ... works for me... chan 134 A.I.

Be sure you turn on DD in setting otherwise UTV will transmit the sound track even though it records it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've also had the soud cut out of my optical cable after some weird glitch skipping/rewinding an HBO show in 2/0 Dolby digital. Had to unplug the box for a minute to get it to reset the sound. Happened twice within a week, but not since then. weird.

check the analog plugs. rule out things. good luck.

-Mortt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.