AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought a new PC this afternoon to hook up to my TV. It has a blu ray drive and HDMI out as well as an optical out. So far as I can tell I can only get 2 channel audio out of the HDMI (unless I am missing something, feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

I wanted to have digital surround so I tried to plug an optical cable into the PC...problem is the cable will not click in. I believe the metal of the rear case prevents it from securing in. Has anyone had this issue before? if so, any remedies or different cables?

Thanks

Also, if anyone who knows more about this and can help me get 5.1 from the HDMI, that would be great...

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Which GPU are you using?

Metal? Do you mean the I/O Shield? Can't you cut it a little bit if it blocks the optical port?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a radeon hd 3450.

Basically, the cut out in the back panel for the optical out is not big enough and will not allow the cable to connect properly. I am thinking I may try and shave a bit off of the optical cable.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
HDMI audio from HD 3450 supports 2 ch LPCM, DD and DTS. So you get 5.1 sound over HDMI only in DD and DTS.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so here is the dumb question...how do I get it to output 5.1? My receiver (Pioneer 1018) is showing that it is getting stereo so I have been putting it into DPL.

Where in the settings do I have it put out 5.1?

Thanks for the help, I have never had a pc able to do this kind of stuff so I imagine there may be a bit of a learning curve...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the bump, but I was hoping to watch the Dark Knight on BR tonight...anyone have any input?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Use DD or DTS. DVD movies are no problem. Some BD movies have DD or DTS tracks, so no problem. Some BD movies lack DD/DTS tracks; in this case use the DD/DTS encoder built in PowerDVD/TMT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts