AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and it comes with a built-in coax SPDIF output. There is also an on-board 5-pin rectangular electrical SPDIF connector that I imagine could be used to connect to another SPDIF output.

It's arranged like this:

Are there any inexpensive adapters to convert from this format to an optical SPDIF output? It would make my life a little easier.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not familiar with the 5-pin connector, but Parts Express sells a coaxial to Toslink converter for less than $20.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same board. I think Asus is supose to come up with a advanced sound riser akin to the serial, firewire, midi and USB risers that came with the board. Word is that if you watch the ASUS page as they release it, you write them an e-mail, and to keep your business, they'll send you one. We'll see.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just wondering why you'd like optical instead? I have the opposite problem, have optical and would rather have coax! Figures huh... coax is cheaper to run any distance. You can use a standard yellow composite video cable, it will work great. Optical cables are a lot more money.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
That onboard connection uses the same adapter that my Asus P4B266 uses, it is not optical, but is coax. The adapter has a spdif IN and SPDIF out on it. There are many coax to optical adapters on the market, do a google search if that is all you need.

Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got an Asus a7n266-vm (not the latest hey but i'm a student and it's damn cheap for what it does) and it has a similar header, i guess different as there's no digi in on this board.. I just made a co-axial connector from a chassis phono/RCA socket put into a hole i drill in a PCI slot cover, and an old CD drive audio lead. The plug on the end fits perfectly onto the header, and just solder the S/PDIF out on the header to the center pin, and the 0V to the socket ground. Works great! Cost? 55p for gold plated socket.

·
Registered
697 Posts
i got my optical cables from parts express very very cheap. $4 for 3" and $6 for 6".

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Want1394
NewEgg
The newegg picture shows a different module than the one on Asus' site. The Asus site one has the appropriate 5-pin connector and the one at newegg only seems to have a flat 4-pin interface.

I can't seem to find the one shown at the asus website, but I guess I could try emailing them and hope they get back to me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xkode2002
The newegg picture shows a different module than the one on Asus' site. The Asus site one has the appropriate 5-pin connector and the one at newegg only seems to have a flat 4-pin interface.

I can't seem to find the one shown at the asus website, but I guess I could try emailing them and hope they get back to me.
I've ordered this exact module from Newegg (except it was dual-coax digital out, not optical digital out) for my Asus motherboard, and it is indeed the 5-pin connector.

Newegg shipped it quickly and I got it cheap, so I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
That Newegg page has two Asus modules listed. The 'coax out and optical out' one does have only a single-row connector as in its picture. The 'coax in and coax out' one has the dual-row connector (also as in its picture), and it will work fine on the A7N8X Deluxe. When you install it, you can use 'either' coaxial output (on the bracket, or on the motherboard). You do not have to change any settings to choose. If you try to connect both outputs, I do not know what would happen. Parts Express (an AVS Forum advertiser-there is a link for them on this page) sells a coaxial-to-optical converter for less than US$20.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It already has a coax output... so really all I need is optical. I'd prefer to just use the Asus one rather than buy a converter if possible. Anybody find one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.