AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there AVS Pros!

Total and complete AVS-brainless noob here, with a question you'll surely think proves what I just wrote! :)

I have an LG 60LB7100 TV I bought for Christmas. Other than it's internal speakers, the TV appears to have just one audio output, which is optical, which I have plugged into a sound bar, which works fine. The sound bar has a variety of input options, but no outputs.

I want to use wireless headphones so as not to disturb others. Like an idiot, I went ahead and bought a pair, thinking they'd work one way or another. They are the Sennheiser RS120 model which has an RCA input on the transmitter. Now that I have them, I see there's no place for me to plug them in.

What I would like to do is use a device that will allow me to plug the optical cable from the TV's audio output into it, and then get another optical out of that device as a sort of optical pass-through that will plug into the sound bar as it currently does, PLUS provide RCA jacks to also plug in the headphones.

I figure I can switch between sound bar and headphones by simply choosing which one is on and being used at any given time.

What device(s) am I looking for to achieve that split/switch/adaptation? Feel free to recommend certain brands or models that have better quality, features, etc.

By the way, this is a HUGE forum with LOTS of areas, so if I'm in the wrong place, please accept my apologies and feel free to move it or point me in the right direction! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From what I'm seeing in my noobiness hunting and pecking, I'm thinking maybe I could use an Optical 1x3 splitter like a

(ViewHD Toslink Optical Audio Splitter 1x3 | One Input to Three Outputs | VHD-TS1X3)

as the "pass-through" device, then use an optical cable from a second output on it to one a Digital to Analog converter like a

(FiiO D3 (D03K) Digital to Analog Audio Converter With Micca 6ft Optical Toslink Cable - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC).

(I haven't been here long enough to post links yet, so just used the Amazon descriptions - sorry)

Does that seem like a viable solution that will work and be cost effective?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I decided to take the plunge and hope for the best, and it all worked out great, just as I'd hoped.

I put a fiber between the TV optical audio output and the fiber splitter, then one between the splitter and the sound bar, and another between the splitter and a digital to analog converter, and plugged the headphone transmitter unit into the RCA jacks on the converter, and it all lit up just perfect, just the way I'd hoped.

Thought I'd go ahead and update so nobody feels a big need to respond, and anyone doing a search on it in the future will be able to see that it does work.

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts