AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Mits 57831 DLP TV. Very happy with it so far, but I was surprised to see there was no optical audio input on the back panel. I have a Motorola cable HDTV STB that outputs component video and digital optical audio out (as well as standard video and audio out, but those are being used by Replay TV). Currently I have the optical out going directly to my receiver, but for various reasons (mostly having to do with watching PIP split-screen) I would like to run the digital audio out through the TV. The only thing I can figure is to try to find a Y-adapter that will convert digital optical audio to RCA L/R audio, but apparently that would require a digital-to-analog encoder of some kind. Can anybody help me figure out how to convert digital optical to RCA analog? I tried a couple of cable companies and Radio Shack but no dice. Note that the STB also has SPDIF out, but that would involve the same problem as optical. Thanks!

Roy

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
There is no easy way to convert the digital signal to analog, nor is there really any reason to do it. Just put a couple of "y" adapters on the analog outputs on the STB and run 'em to the tv and the Replay.

While not quite optimum, it is more than good enough for your set up.

(btw-not many sets do have digital inputs as there is very little need for them)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.