Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got an Harman/Kardon AVR130, and I'm curious as to whether or not I'd get the best sound performance by using either the Optical Input OR using the 5 Channel Direct Inputs. Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks !

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo
Hi,

I've got an Harman/Kardon AVR130, and I'm curious as to whether or not I'd get the best sound performance by using either the Optical Input OR using the 5 Channel Direct Inputs. Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks !
always use the 5.1 if it's practical- that way you are set up for SACD/DVD-A. it also frees up an optical input for another source.

·
Registered
334 Posts
For SACD/DVD-A use the 5.1 analogue connections.

For CD, if both your player & amp have dedicated L&R connections, use those to get true stereo.

For DVD-V use the Coax/Optical if the DACs in the amp are better than those in the player OR the 5.1 if the DACs in the player are better than those in the amp.

(only you ears will tell you the correct choice for this one)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I just wanted some feedback before pouring in some serious cash to buying the 5.1 cables.

When playing a DVD on a high-quality machine, will the sound be better/worse/same using the 5.1 direct inputs rather than optical ?

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just wanted some feedback before pouring in some serious cash to buying the 5.1 cables.

When playing a DVD on a high-quality machine, will the sound be better/worse/same using the 5.1 direct inputs rather than optical ?
Wait up. What kind of DVD player are you using? If it does not play SACD and/or DVD-A or you do not have any of these discs, all you need is the optical connection.

Kal

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
Wait up. What kind of DVD player are you using? If it does not play SACD and/or DVD-A or you do not have any of these discs, all you need is the optical connection.

Kal
Listen to Kal.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:

For DVD-V depends on the DACs, I use the Coax/Optical and let the amp do the DD/DTS decoding, seems to sound better than the 5.1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.