AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/V receiver has 3 optical audio inputs, and 1 coax audio input. I will be connecting a DirecTV HD DVR and an upconverting DVD player. The DVD and the DVR both have optical and coax outputs.

From what I can find, there is no quality difference between optical and coax - so, would it matter which connection I use for each? Is it correct that the quality is the same between them?

·
Read the FAQ!
36,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy /forum/post/0

My A/V receiver has 3 optical audio inputs, and 1 coax audio input. I will be connecting a DirecTV HD DVR and an upconverting DVD player. The DVD and the DVR both have optical and coax outputs.

From what I can find, there is no quality difference between optical and coax - so, would it matter which connection I use for each? Is it correct that the quality is the same between them?

For all practical purposes they are identical in function, quality, and limitations. You can use them interchangeably as seems best to you.

--Bob

·
Registered
829 Posts
Theoritically speaking, the optical cable can be considered a better connection because the type of signal is not prone to the same types of noise (RF & EM) that can enter a coax cable. However, I've found that this rarely has any type of an impact, hence the theoretical proposal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.