AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Actually, no, in that optical cannot carry the HD audio codecs like DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD. It can only carry the bitstreamed legacy DD and DTS or 2-channel PCM. Now whether you'll hear a difference between the HD and legacy codecs is a matter of debate. It's going to depend on your hearing and the quality of your HT sound system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In order to get the full effect of 3D I need to get a reciever that supports 1.4 Audio. What I was thinking is wiring my PS3, Sbox 360 and my DVR with HDMI 1.4 to get the full visual affect and wire optical audio to my Harmon Kardon 347 becausethat reciever does not support 1.4HDMI. If you know a better way of doing this please, please let me know. My TV is a WD-82838 Mitsubishi 82" TV that is 3D and Internet ready. The TV has an ethernet port but if I could get the internet through the HDMI 1.4 cables this would be a lot easier then running an thernet 100feet to my TV. My PS3 and Xbox are both linked to the internet through Wirless. Thanks in advance take care. Jonathan.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Well, you have nothing that can do lossless audio and 3D at the same time, so why do you care?

Run tos-link to the receiver and HDMI to the TV and you are done.

Unless you replace the PS3 with a real BD player, you don't have a problem? So again...

With the PS3 you don't have any problems to begin with.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20834296

Well, you have nothing that can do lossless audio and 3D at the same time, so why do you care?

Unless you replace the PS3 with a real BD player, you don't have a problem? So again...

The PS3 is still one of the best Blu-ray players out there, and it can do lossless since firmware update 3.70.

Firmware 3.70

3D playback* of Blu-ray Java™ ("BD-J") content is now supported.

DTS-HD audio output is now supported while playing Blu-ray 3D™ content

http://us.playstation.com/support/sy.../ps3/index.htm

(Dolby TruHD not supported yet, but hey)

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigger212003 /forum/post/20828344

Can I get the same sound from an optical cable connected to my reciever as I would HDMI 1.4 cable?? Please Help

If your AVR has Dolby Prologic IIx or IIz, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be able to tell the difference in sound when using a TOSLINK and setting the AVR to IIx or IIz. When you hear all the sounds coming from the 7+1 speakers, you won't even trip - except on how good it sounds.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/unders...logic-iix.html

·
Registered
184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20834296

I am in the exact same situation as OP. I have an Onkyo receiver (7.1 HTIB) i got last year, it is 1.3 and cost too much to replace already (unless i could sell it for a decent price). If i were to get a 3D TV i would have to hook every 3D device up to the TV directly for the video (3D), and optical to my receiver. I would use my PS3 for 3D blu-ray, i have an x360 and a cable box (also hdmi but not dvr). I also have a stand alone blu-ray player, but it's not 3D, so i will play all non 3D blu-rays on it and still have my hdmi sound. Is that it, i'm set? If schan is correct, my devices that would be optical get no benefit from hdmi sound anyway, so i'm home free?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just recently got a receiver that can do hdmi audio. Before I couldn't do the master or hd tracks and just was running the core audio over optical. The only thing I can notice a difference with is the dialog of movies seems more clear. Everything else is about the same. Marginal at best

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok, i'm replying to myself, according to Auger the PS3 can do dts hd, which i'm assuming means dts hd master audio, so i'd be losing that. Bishop says that Prologic IIz and IIx will sound just as good, i know my receiver does those. I don't know anymore. I guess this is up for discussion still?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord /forum/post/20857848

If your AVR has Dolby Prologic IIx or IIz, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be able to tell the difference in sound when using a TOSLINK and setting the AVR to IIx or IIz. When you hear all the sounds coming from the 7+1 speakers, you won't even trip - except on how good it sounds.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/unders...logic-iix.html

I agree 100%! Onkyo 607 (1.3) receiver with audio from 3D player hooked up via optical. Sounds great to me and I can't see any difference from HD audio. 7.2 speakers (2 subs). JMHO

Ed

·
Registered
67 Posts
The other big unknown is what would happen if you routed a "1.4" 3D signal (including the 3D output of the PS3 here) through an HDMI 1.3 receiver on its way to the TV or display. Chances are that if your receiver is acting as a blind switch box, it would all work as the receiver wouldn't be manipulating the signal in any real way. But if the receiver is pulling out the audio stream for sound, as would usually be the case, it may not work with preserving the 3D bcs it has to un-pack and re-pack the bitstreams and might not know how to repack the 3D on its way back to your 3D TV.

Unless the ps3 can now decode the new codecs,as well as 3d still technically a 1.3 chipset,as far as the amp is concerned.The ps3 can almost trick my onkyo 605 into thinking i'ts getting a normal signal.

I have both versions,bitstreamed and internal decoding ps3's.Guess i'll actually have to try this.HUGE hassle,unless someone is 100%sure this AIN'T gonna work!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Exactly Sod! The whole thing is aggrivating! 3D demands HDMI 1.4. Forget that every 3D device i have is 1.3, i still have to bow to the 1.4 gods. Why, because my receiver is 1.3 and gives me Dolby TruHD, DTS HD master, etc.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a Panasonic TC-P65GT30, a 60gb PS3 and an Onkyo TX-SR606.

I just picked up a Rocketfish HDMI Splitter (RF-G1182) and it seems to work well.

My issue like most others here, is the PS3 and it's handling of 3D video and lossless audio, especially with an HDMI 1.3 receiver.

I have my PS3 running through the splitter and one output is going to the Panasonic display. The other to my 1.3 compliant Onkyo TX-SR606 after the Rocketfish HDMI Splitter (RF-G1182).

I let the PS3 kick everything down to 2 channel PCM, the problem now is I get audio during DVD playback, the Playstation menus and PSN store, but not during 3D blu-ray playback.

I have tried a few different settings to no avail. Do I need to run a Toslink cable because of the 1.4 3D to 1.3 HDMI encoding issue?

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/20834903

The PS3 is still one of the best Blu-ray players out there, and it can do lossless since firmware update 3.70.

Firmware 3.70

3D playback* of Blu-ray Java™ ("BD-J") content is now supported.

DTS-HD audio output is now supported while playing Blu-ray 3D™ content

http://us.playstation.com/support/sy.../ps3/index.htm

(Dolby TruHD not supported yet, but hey)

I love how "The PS3 can't do lossless audio" keeps getting repeated like the gospel, even though the PS3 actually can.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another consideration is lag between the audio and the video. If you have a TV that does smoothness interpolation, for example, the TV will delay the video signal. If you are playing through the TV speakers or through the HDMI return channel or another output from the TV, then that may add delay to the audio so they match up again -- YMMV, different sets have different characteristics in this department.

Going straight optical to the receiver won't do this correction, unless the receiver has a manual delay tuning option, and even in that case, that won't happen dynamically when you change which enhancement effects your are using.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.