Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is as follows.

Assume you use a 16:9 portion of the face of the crt tubes.

How many lines can the following projectors display optimally, that is without visible lines and without lines overlapping. Remember optimallly within a 16:9 portion of the tube.

I will put them in categories

9 inch models

Sony G90 / Marguee 9500lc

8 inch models

Barco 808 / Nec xg 110

7 inch models

Nec pg-6 / ECP 4000

Entry level performance

Sony 10xx series

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
A big part of this has to do with how well set up the projector is, but assuming a properly set up projector:

Sony G90 / Marguee 9500lc : 960 lines

Barco 808 / Nec xg 110 : 720-800 lines

Nec pg-6 : 720 lines

ECP 4000 : 600-720 lines

Sony 10xx series 500-600 lines

These are just starting points of course. YMMV.

Kal

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Other factors involved are raster useage, beam spot size, EM focus vs ES focus, contrast setting and most importantly, the person who set it up...

Chip S.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some parameters with crts confuse me.

The horizontal scan rate determines with what signal the projector is compatible with right ?

Sometimes a crt is said to have 2000 tv-lines of resolution. I have asked representative of Barco about this. I did that since I saw a figure about a crt compatible with 1024x768, but with 1000 tv-lines. This was conflicting data to me.

Tv-lines reffered to optical resolution.

My new questions are?

1Upper range of number of scanning lines for variours crts as above.

2 How is tv-lines different from the specification of number of liine pairs per mm. Do they both measure optical resolution?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ohlson
My question is as follows.

Assume you use a 16:9 portion of the face of the crt tubes.

How many lines can the following projectors display optimally, that is without visible lines and without lines overlapping. Remember optimallly within a 16:9 portion of the tube.

I will put them in categories

9 inch models

Sony G90 / Marguee 9500lc

8 inch models

Barco 808 / Nec xg 110

7 inch models

Nec pg-6 / ECP 4000

Entry level performance

Sony 10xx series
For 8 inch models, don't forget SONY G70.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
My personal experiences on the sweet spots for these projectors in 16:9 are:

XG110LC/135LC and non LC, Sony G70 - 860 lines

Barco 808, 1208, ECP8000, 8500 - 720 lines but will work at 860. Picture just looks very good at 720P

Sony 12xx series - 600 lines

Marquee 9500, Barco 1209 - 960 lines.

Mattias - The difference in the specs you are talking about has to do with first what the unit will accept as an input electronically, and then second how many lines the unit is capable of scanning.

Most manufacturers will tell you spec wise that the unit will take in a much higher resolution that it can actually accurately dispay on the CRT face.

It comes down to what kind of shape the tube is in, how small the spot size can be made so that when scanning the lines they don't overlap. Overlap will start to make the picture a bit softer in appearance.

So you can see, that if you can make the spot size the same on say an 8" and a 9" CRT there is more physical space on the 9" so it can scan more lnes before overlap begins to occur.

The reality of it is also that the higher end newer units like the G90, and 9500 have better beam control over the tubes which allow for a very small spot to be produced. As am example of this, I have an internal Sony document that said that the spot size of a G-70 is 25% smaller than the spot size for the 1292.

Terry

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Terry,

Sense I spend 99% of my time on NEC's you pretty much hit what I think also, 860 as all around sweet spot for the XG. This has so much to do with set up and the room environment.

I do notice there is a big variable for the 'sweet spot' of the eye between end users and what they feel is a comfortable image.

Have you ever noticed that the wife likes it under what its capable of doing while the guys need it maxed?

I think on this all the time so on some Ill shoot for the middle so they are both happy. It takes awhile to adjust to a new 'thing'.

50Hz troubles me when I first see it but this is only because my brain is accustomed to 60 Hz in line voltage (lighting).

I respect what the wife says and I listen, shes half the end user (I dont have one so no big deal) I get a kick out of hearing the conversations in the back ground but I will show a higher resolution first then a lower one, 8 out of 10 times the wife will like the lower BUT the guys likes the highest I can tweak out of it.

I do have a few running 1200P that use the MSB converted Sony DVD, I know it cant all be resolved but its what they like and they do look pretty good, Id say 1050 is tops but they do a lot of film viewing.

PG series:

6-9000 700P

6-9100 720P

6-9200 768p

Sweet spot is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I wish we had more females on the forum that post opinions other then we spend way to much time and money on our hobby.

Womens auxiliary category? Im just stirring the pot but it might be fun reading and we might learn something we are not familiar with. Doug

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf

Most manufacturers will tell you spec wise that the unit will take in a much higher resolution that it can actually accurately dispay on the CRT face.

Terry
This is so true. And that's why the tubes that are used in the Marquee 8000, 8500 are true 8" CRT's. The 8500 and the 9500 has the exact same electronics. They both are using the same high resolution tubes from Panasonic (different pinout), that are found in both Barco and Marquee projectors. The Marquee 8500 will do 860 lines very well, in fact it would do much higher, because the MEC tubes have the largest raster area of any of the other 8" CRT projectors.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Doug,

And the guys all want 9" crt's....but the girls are just as satisfied with the 8" or even 7" variety.....lol

Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.