AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a home theater with a 9' diagonal (probably) 16x9 screen (about a 53" screen height). There will be two rows of seats, with a one foot riser for the second row. The ceilings in the room are 9' high (the rest of the room is 30' long by 16' high).

I am wondering how high to place the screen on the wall?

What is considered the optimal vertical % of the screen for one's eyes to be at. How off that can one go (the point being I might go a little low on the front row to make the back row less off)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

·
Registered
711 Posts
From the THX specifications for theaters:

Quote:
The vertical viewing angle is measured at seated eye height from the front row center seat to the top of the tallest projected image. SMPTE standard EG-18-1994 notes that:

"for most viewers physical discomfort begins when this angle exceeds 35 degrees. We strongly recommend that the layout of the auditorium adheres to this engineering guideline.
This guideline would be difficult to exceed in a home theater, with most vertical viewing angles in the 15-20 degree range. See diagram below for an example:

http://www.cmcpics.homestead.com/theater_side.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mysphyt
From the THX specifications for theaters:

This guideline would be difficult to exceed in a home theater, with most vertical viewing angles in the 15-20 degree range. See diagram below for an example:

http://www.cmcpics.homestead.com/theater_side.jpg

That is amazingly helpful, thank you.

Does THX have a view on what's best?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I could find no references to a "best" or "optimal" vertical viewing angle in the THX recommendations.

However, normal human vision's optimal cone of vision has a radius of approximately 15 degrees. From this I'd suggest that anything in the range of 10-20 degrees would be good. With larger values causing increased strain. Referenence

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I mounted my 123" 16:9 screen at 32" from the floor. This allowed all 3 rows to see the whole screen from each 14" riser. Also allows the front row to fully recline and not have their feet get in the way of the bottom of the screen. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
I mounted my 123" 16:9 screen at 32" from the floor. This allowed all 3 rows to see the whole screen from each 14" riser. Also allows the front row to fully recline and not have their feet get in the way of the bottom of the screen. ;)
Thank. Is that 123" width or diagonal? What type of screen? What PJ you using for that monster? Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
123" diagonal Stewart Studiotek 130. I am using the DWIN TV3 mounted 2 feet down from a 12 foot ceiling and about 18 feet from the front wall.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Oh yeah, I wasn't real impressed with the Stewart screen mount. It looks great once it is up, but if you need to adjust it even a tiny inch, you have to take the whole thing down. I could design a better way to mount and adjust it. I don't need to adjust mine, but I would think they would realize and fix the problems with it by now for those that do need to adjust theirs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.