AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize the optimal height is for the vertical center of the TV to be at the eye level where I will be viewing the TV. But my favorite 2 TV stands force me to choose a stand that will put the TV's just a few inches (2-3 inches) above or below my eye level. Which is better from an ergonomic & performance point of view?

My gut feel is a little lower is better than higher, because it seems easier on my neck to look a little down than up. Plus, putting it lower biases for a better viewing angle when someone is lying on the floor (which I expect to be somewhat common). Maybe I'm splitting hairs and a couple inches won't make that much difference. The TV is the Sony GW IV KDF-55XS955 (on order, should arrive within a week) which appears to be a decent viewing angle already. Thanks!

· Registered
193 Posts
Don't sweat 2-3 inches... seriously, this is one of those things that you would never notice unless you forced yourself to notice, I think. Get the stand you like and enjoy it. 2-3 inches is the difference between sitting up straight or slouching - you can't measure that.

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlee92

...My gut feel is a little lower is better than higher, because it seems easier on my neck to look a little down than up.
Your gut feeling is correct. I remember reading a few years back a study that concluded that an image viewed slightly below eye level resulted in minimal strain to both neck an eyes. I believe it was in a SMPTE (Society of Motion Pictures and Television Engineers) journal.

Second best was straight on and worst was then image above eye level.

· Registered
69 Posts
I'd offer the observation that if you're a tall person, you might take into account any other people that might be sitting next to you in the room as well -- since everyone's head might be at a different elevation... :)

Basically, "what Lodey said" -- it's a 55" TV, ferchrissakes!

· Registered
574 Posts
I'd vote higher for three reasons:

1) Instinctively, I think looking slightly higher would result in slightly better (read: ergonomic) posture.

2) Higher means more room in the stand for components.

3) You'll be able to see over your feet when they're on the coffee table. ;)

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quill
I'd vote higher for three reasons:

1) Instinctively, I think looking slightly higher would result in slightly better (read: ergonomic) posture.

The study showed higher will strain your neck and eyes. I doubt higher will improve your posture, but I would vote for comfort over posture anytime.

· Registered
203 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. The stand I've picked for my yet-to-be-delivered 60WF is almost 23 inches high. That'll put the screen center about 3 -4 inches above eye level. But it also has more shelf height and puts my center channel higher as well. Maybe I'll just stick some books under the couch feet.:D

Jeff

· Registered
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John F. Palacio
The study showed higher will strain your neck and eyes. I doubt higher will improve your posture, but I would vote for comfort over posture anytime.
Makes sense, since office ergonomics dictate the top of the PC monitor--as opposed to the center--should be close to eye level.

But having the tips of your size 12's on the screen just isn't right! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.