AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding between a 42" and 50" display.

What's the optimal viewing distance for a 50" display, in other words how big does the room have to be?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check out the FAQ section under the question:

How big of a plasma do I need (I have XXX feet between me & the screen).

"Hi-definition" 42" displays: 5'+

"Low-definition" 42" displays: 7'+

50": 7'+

The FAQ section contains some very helpful information.

Pete...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have done some independent research on this and am not comfortable with the FAQ's answer here. As I read it, the FAQ is giving the minimum distance so that you do not see see the pixels on the screen. However, you also should consider the minimum distance for a 50" or 42" widescreen TV, regardless of whether it is plasma.

After doing some hunting around on the web, it seems that you divide the screen size by .4. So for 50", a minimum viewing distance would be 120", or 10 feet from the screen. For a 42", it looks like 8 feet.

If you are within the above distance and the distances from the FAQ page, I suspect that you will still be far enough away so that the pixels are not discernible, but the picture may be overwhelming for that distance.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is one correct answer: You need to decide what size is right for your room and your couch and your eyes and your brain. I like a smaller display than most for a given distance, but that doesn't make me right -- or make them right either.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.