AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a formula that home theater enthusiasts use in determining the optimal viewing distance?

For example, if I'm viewing a 50" screen, how far away should my sofa be from the TV in order to maximize the viewing??

What about a 65" screen?

I'm trying to decide between the two. I thought bigger the better, but I don't want to throw away money if its not going to do me much.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
UMFanatic:

Unfortunately, there is no single forumula for all technologies/situations. It depends on what display technology you are using and what kind of content you are watching. For example, I have a 50" DLP that for standard definition digital TV looks fine at 8 feet (two times the diagonal distance). However, for DVDs and certainly for HD, we can put another chair between our primary seats and still get a great image (viewing distance is about five feet). I know this may sound like a cop-out but the "real" answer is get as close as you can to approach a cinematic breadth of field but not so close as to allow the image to break up.

Note also that you have audio and soundfield issues (e.g., speaker placement) to consider so it rarely is merely a question of viewing distance...

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I watch our 123" diagonal picture from an HD2 projector from about 13 feet away and love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Optimal viewing distance is more of a personal preference. The main thing to be concerned about is minimal viewing distance. At the standard 480i (4x3) screen the minimal is 2 x the height of the screen. I don't have the rest of the conversions in front of me but I believe 720 lines of res. is calculated at 1.33 x the height of the screen. You should look these up on the web before you apply them. The reason for these is to keep the people sitting in the front row from seeing each individual pixel (screen door). This said there are calculations out there for optimal viewing distance. I would use these as more of a place to start then to use it as a rule. If you go to theater you will see people who sit way up front and those who sit way in the back of an almost empty theater. My personal preference is to go to a theater with stadium seating and sit where my head is located to the center of the screen. I have included a link to one of the best sights I have found for calculating optimal viewing distance. myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Good luck with your Theater and keep us informed of how it is going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just noticed Beth put in the same link so I'd guess you already followed her link. Guess I'll have to pay more attention next time.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
the optimal viewing distance would be equal to the distance you are happy with...not the distance recommended by this forum. Don't get me wrong, there is a wealth of valuable information here, but don't let it dictate your "personal" setup. I find that 50% of the time I'm happiest with something that is not the majority opinion here. The fun is in the experimenting! On the other hand, I owe 90% of what I do know to this forum! Go figure...

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
I'm in the minority but I sit just over one screen width back. ( about 10-11' from a 9' wide screen). I think with good scaled DVD or HD on a CRT this is great. I think ones preference for distance from the screen at a commercial theater comes into play as well. If you like to sit close at the local theater ( I like to sit within the front third usually, but not right in front) you may not be satisfied with sitting 2+ screen widths back at home, I'm not. Granted this isn't great with poorer quality sources.

Art

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.