AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys.

Sorry if this is a noob question. I'm wondering what the consensus is on the BEST way to stream Netflix, or streaming video, at home?

I know there are many options:
-Smart TV itself
-Playstation 3, 4
-Xbox One
-Bluray player with wifi
-Streaming media player, etc.

I am running a 52" 1080p HDTV, connected to a Playstation 3, and I use the PS3 to stream all my Netflix and video content. I have AT&T U-verse internet @ 12mbps, and I stream it wirelessly from my wifi modem.

Question:
What's considered the "best" way to stream Netflix, and why?

The reason I want to know, is because I will be adding more TVs to my house, and I'd like to know the best way to optimize streaming speed, picture and sound quality, reliability, etc in these other rooms. Right now, I'm only streaming it to the HDTV in my living room, connected to the PS3. I'd like to add at least 1 or 2 more TVs in the house. I'd also like to keep using my wifi, if possible. I can pay to increase the speed if needed, but I'd like to avoid running ethernet cables in the walls.

(I know that I tried streaming Netflix once on a Samsung bluray player, and the Netflix interface was very "laggy" and slow to load. :( I have never tried using a Smart TV, or other media devices aside from desktop PC)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well bottle neck is usually poor ISP and internet connection and if i was doing it I would make sure my netflix device has wired connection, never wireless. Regarding streaming devices I cannot really help but most of those you mentioned, especially newest models shouldn't have any problems. It would be a sad day for mankind if they do.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If Netflix is all you care about, it really doesn't matter. If you are talking about streaming in general, the Roku platform supports the most services and has a very simple interface.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well. I'd like Netflix, Amazon prime, and also the new HBO NOW app, if possible. I'm not clear how to get the new HBO now either.

Aside from services, I want good interface, speed, and quality.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
The dual band Roku 3 is probably the best bet for streaming on a multitude of sights, especially if you are using WiFi. Consider using a quality dual band router like those offered by Netgear, Asus, Linksys and Trendnet. I also recommend the 5G band. Even though it has slightly less range, it is less prone to interference, offers more bandwidth and better performance. If you are running several devices on your network at the same time, you might want to consider a faster download plan. The FCC has recently classified 25 mbps or higher as true broadband.

Ian

·
Registered
536 Posts
My personal experience with devices on Uverse 20mbps wifi -

1. Roku 3 (kicks major arse)
2. Roku stick (very nice, cheaper than, but not quite as fast as its big brother Roku3)
3. WD TV Live
4. Vizio smart tv
Last. Samsung bluray player :)

The last I heard, Apple TV is the only device that has an HBO Now app, and HBO is not letting on what other devices might have it in the future. I know nothing about Apple TV (or Airplay or iTunes).

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I had a Samsung BDD6100 in the bedroom setup that was horrible in all respects...it died on discs altogether. I've used my PS3 mostly in the main system, but added a Sony S5100 to both the bedroom and garage and it is great with Netflix/Amazon via wifi but not sure about HBO stuff, don't use it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well. I'd like Netflix, Amazon prime, and also the new HBO NOW app, if possible. I'm not clear how to get the new HBO now either.

Aside from services, I want good interface, speed, and quality.
HBO Now is exclusive to Apple TV for the first three months, then it will become available on other platforms. Roku is the best streaming platform because it is not tied to any particular ecosystem. Amazon Instant Video, Google Play Video, Vudu, M-Go, Flixster, Netflix, Hulu Plus, SlingTV, Pandora, Spotify and literally a couple thousand other sources are all available on Roku.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I've streamed Netflix via PS3, a Samsung Blu Ray player, Chromecast, Chromebox, and a Roku Stick. I've got a static IP 50 mbps symmetrical fiber connection with an enterprise-level AP for wifi (I forget the model). Gigabit ethernet is wired throughout the house. We often run two HD streams wirelessly sans problem.

I liked the PS3 best when it would allow you to add a movie to your disc queue if it wasn't available streaming, but that feature has been gone a few years now. And the PS3 can be noisy. And the wife wouldn't turn it on, even with a Harmony remote + dongle. I don't know how well it streams wirelessly, as I've only ever used it via ethernet.

Chromecasts are nice in that the Netflix app on Android seems to show more movies than any other app. The wife refuses to learn to cast from her phone, however. And one of mine can be slow to load a movie, failing often (maybe 20% of the time), requiring a reboot. Of course the Chromecast that sometimes fails to load a movie is at the farthest end of our house from the AP, so I'm not blaming it. My son's Chromecast is much closer to the AP, and doesn't have this problem.

I noticed the same issue with the Samsung Blu Ray player that the OP did, in that the app was very slow, and movies were also rather slow to start. Like the PS3, I only used this via ethernet.

The Chromebox worked very well for the short time I used it with Chrome OS; it's now running OpenElec and Kodi. If Netflix ran on OpenElec integrated into Kodi, I'd put this one on top.

I wasn't in the market for the Roku Stick; it came with a 48" tv we bought for the family room last fall. My wife can use it all by herself. While that alone would put it on top for me, when you add in that it also does Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, and a host of other services (and I'm sure will be getting HBO's stand-alone), I can't see how any of the others could be better.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I don't watch Netflix (or do much streaming at all, really). Probably a combination of the fact that I watch a good bit of live sports (making satellite TV a necessity) and my poor landline Internet connection. But, I do have very good 4G/LTE coverage in my area and a mobile plan with unlimited data. Now, I would never recommend watching a movie on a small mobile device screen as the optimal way to stream video. However, if you're like me and your landline internet sucks compared to your mobile internet and you've got unlimited data, then the best way to stream Netflix to your TV's might just be a 16:9 1080p mobile device with HDMI out to your TV. I hear the Windows 8 app for Netflix is good. Note: I recommend that the mobile device's screen be 16:9 1080p to avoid any scaling/aspect ratio issues as a result of a mismatch with your TV.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I just (yesterday) signed up for Netflix streaming so I'm getting used to it. I'm currently doing it on my Apple TV and XBOX One. I do see the HBO now app on the Apple TV. I can't disagree with others regarding the Roku but I already have an ATV and it's working fine. I will also agree with other your experience will be directly tied to the bandwidth you have with your ISP.

·
Registered
589 Posts
+1 for Roku 3. However, since you're looking for the best quality you really want to upgrade your internet plan and run over wired connections in your house. Look into Ethernet over powerline and coax if you don't want to run Cat5e. You can certainly start with wireless and it may be perfectly acceptable - but since you asked for the best, that is absolutely going to be video streaming over wired connections no matter what the device.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
+1 for Roku 3. However, since you're looking for the best quality you really want to upgrade your internet plan and run over wired connections in your house. Look into Ethernet over powerline and coax if you don't want to run Cat5e. You can certainly start with wireless and it may be perfectly acceptable - but since you asked for the best, that is absolutely going to be video streaming over wired connections no matter what the device.
Depends on your home network environment and ISP. I have Cablevision, a Netflix Open Connect partner. I started with the basic 15 meg plan (I was actually getting closer to 19) and now they bumped me up to 50. I only use WIFI via a dual band Netgear router, and even when on the basic plan, I've been able to stream Netflix 5800 kps 1080p content, with all my streaming devices, (Panasonic DMP85 BD player, Panasonic S60 plasma TV, Roku 2, Windows PC, and Macbook) flawlessly.

Ian

·
Registered
693 Posts
I use a mix of hard wired Ethernet, Power Line Network and WiFi in my house. If you have a good quality high capacity wireless router, you should not have any troubles as long as you keep the number of streaming devices to some kind of reasonable limit.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Roku 3 or Apple TV. You're at the mercy of the TV and BR player manufacturers for software updates on other devices. I've already seen Samsung break Netflix twice on our bedroom TV.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I stream Netflix wirelessly through my Sony 55W900, Sony 40W600, Oppo 105D and Roku Stick. The TV's provide the best experience followed closely by the Oppo and finally the Roku. However, the Roku is certainly watchable/enjoyable and there is not any lag. Comcast Blast, I think is the internet service. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For me in this order

1- PS3 - Kills it (Netflix, Amazon)
2 -Roku 3 - very good (Netflix, Amazon, HBO)
3- Apple TV - ok good picture - (HBO - don't recall if Netflix is on it)
4- Tivo series 4 - sucks (Netfix is very very slow to load, I haven't tried Amazon on it) Love it for recording and watching TV.

iPad - Rocks (Netflix, Amazon, HBO)

Also, as some have said you need a good bandwidth from you ISP. On my network if there someone in the household video streaming to a computer I'll notice artifices on my 120" projection system on both the PS3, Roku or AppleTV. Doesn't matter what service I'm watching, I think Verizon Fios might be doing something funny, I pay for 50mb up/down.

Hope this helps
c

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Well bottle neck is usually poor ISP and internet connection and if i was doing it I would make sure my netflix device has wired connection, never wireless. Regarding streaming devices I cannot really help but most of those you mentioned, especially newest models shouldn't have any problems. It would be a sad day for mankind if they do.
Wires are so things of the past now. :) ...Wireless is the way to go, I think. ...I wish I could watch my Blu-rays wirelessly, but they don't have invented such a player yet. ...We still live in the dinosaur's age.

I'm not talking movie servers here, I'm talking Blu-ray players. ...Netflix included, @ 1080p, 4K, 3D, and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and DTS:X and Dolby Atmos (all Wi-Fi).

* One last thing; with Netflix streaming we are all @ the mercy of our service communication provider, and that, is where the problems are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts