Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question on resolutions

Ok, I am new to this whole Home Theater/Display thing. I am sure I have already made some bad mistakes, BUT I would like to do my best to fix them.

First I bought a Sony Home-Theater-In-A-Box with Progressive Scan DVD player (NOT integrated into Receiver). I know, it is probably one of the seven deadly sins around this forum. I bought it a year ago knowing I would be getting an HDTV.

I recently purchased a Sony 32HS510. I think this was a smarter choice than the HTIB system. Anyway, I currently have the DVD player set to Progressive. My understanding is that this send a 480p signal to the tv which displays it unchanged. Is this a fact? or does it convert it? I am connecting DVD to TV by component Video cables.

Would it be better to set the DVD player to Interlace and let the TV convert it to 1080i (I believe this is the TV's native format)? Would the TV do this convertion or just display 480p anyway? There was a thread on this forum that mentioned some DVD players do this converting better than TV's. It isn't any of the fancy DVD players listed there. As I mentioned it is a Sony DVD w/ Progressive Scan. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd model from their top of the line a year ago.

Sorry for the length of this message, thanks for any help

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yes, a 480p signal will be unchanged by the TV (not converted). 480i's are always upconverted to 480p automatically by HDTV's.

Its better to let the DVD progressive scan the image instead of the TV regardless of what TV or progressive scan DVD player you have.

Though a TV's native resolution might be 1080i, it only upconverts 480i sources to 480p, not 1080i. Currently, only some dvd players (like samsung 931) can upconvert 480i to 1080i or 720p. In short, the only thing your TV can display in 1080i is an incoming 1080i or 720p source.

Azanon

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by berkthomas
I recently purchased a Sony 32HS510. Anyway, I currently have the DVD player set to Progressive. My understanding is that this send a 480p signal to the tv which displays it unchanged. Is this a fact? or does it convert it?
Correct ... a 'progressive scan' DVD player sends 480p to the TV (when in progressive mode). Your 32HS510 displays 480p as 480p.
Quote:
Would it be better to set the DVD player to Interlace and let the TV convert it to 1080i (I believe this is the TV's native format)? Would the TV do this convertion or just display 480p anyway?
The Sony TVs can display 480p, 960i, or 1080i. The Sony TV's with 'adjustable' DRC modes convert 480i to another format based on the DRC mode. I think it's:

CineMotion - 480i -> 480p w/ 3:2 pulldown

Progressive - 480i -> 480p straight line doubling

Interlaced - 480i -> 960i

I'm not sure what the Sony TVs w/o the 'adjustable' DRC mode (like your 32HS510) do with 480i ... but it would be one of the above. My guess is that they are always locked into 'CineMotion' (or perhaps they try to automagically switch).
Quote:
Would it be better to set the DVD player to Interlace and let the TV convert it to 1080i (I believe this is the TV's native format)? There was a thread on this forum that mentioned some DVD players do this converting better than TV's. It isn't any of the fancy DVD players listed there. As I mentioned it is a Sony DVD w/ Progressive Scan. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd model from their top of the line a year ago.
The guts of your question ...

It's almost always better to let the DVD player send the progressive signal to your set. This has nothing to do with fancy DVD players ... it's just basic signal path issues.

When your TV is doing the scaling:

Digital source (DVD) -> D/A conversion -> TV -> A/D conversion -> scaling -> D/A conversion -> display

When your DVD player is doing the scaling:

Digital source (DVD) -> scaling -> D/A conversion -> TV -> display

Those extra A/D D/A conversions come at the price of picture quality.

Note ... the above is the 'optimal' signal path. It's possible certain equipment does some extra funky stuff (there are some very long threads here where people have traced down exactly what is happening inside their equipment).

Another advantage the DVD player has when scaling is that ... working in an all digital domain ... the DVD player can often pick up flags the TV may miss / not recognize. For example, the TV may improperly apply 3:2 pulldown to a video source (which looks awfull) while the DVD player may recognize it as a video source and (correctly) not apply 3:2 pulldown.

This brings up one of the few times I let the TV do the scaling ... I have seen some video based DVDs (often in extras too) that my DVD player incorrectly applies 3:2 reverse pulldown on. My DVD player has no manual override so ... in this case ... I flip off the DVDs progressive switch and let the TV do the scaling (usually in 'Interlaced' DRC mode').

The actual circuitry in your DVD player and TV that performs the scaling is probably very similar. Don't think that only high-end DVD players are going to provide a better picture. It's the extra A/D D/A conversions and incorrect flag recognition that make the TVs scaling suffer.

You may want to check to make sure that your DVD player performs 3:2 reverse pulldown (or 'CineMotion' as Sony often calls it). It should but if not ... hmm ... you may want to let your TV do the scaling ... that would be a close call.

There's always the old fall-back. Compare and let your eyes be the judge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your replay. It was very helpful. I will check into the DVD player a little more to insure that 3:2 is taking place.

Unfortunately they put the progress/interlace switch on the back of the DVD player so switching back and forth is not particularly easy.

Thanks again.

Joel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.