AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the optimum screen size for G70. The room size is 23 * 16 feet and ceiling height is 7.75 feet.

I am thinking of going with 104" * 58" DaLite Cinemavision screen. I have used 96" * 56" custom made DaLite Pearlesent screen in the past with 1252Q.

Any sugestions?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Greetings,

With a G-70 I would reommend no bigger than an 84" wide 16x9 screen. The reason for this is light output. You will want to use a smaller screen than what you are suggesting because the picture will get a lot dimmer. Also, you will want to run a scalar and use the projector efficiently, but lighting up more of the phosphor area on each CRT you will achieve a higher light output and a higher perceived resolution. Look for a scalar that will run around 840p for that unit - should work out nicely.

Good luck,

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Well I'm going to jump in both feet and a lot of folks here won't agree with what I am about to say, but here goes my opinion anyway.

If you want the absolute ultimate in punch, the smaller the screen the better.

We have set up many, many G-70's in perfectly light controlled rooms on 92 x 52 and 96 x 54 1.3 gain screens and they presented a beautiful picture that had lots of contrast, depth and punch. I think the 92 x 52 is the optimum.

I ran a G-70 for a long time in my theatre on a 106 x 60 1.3 gain VuTec screen and felt it had plenty of brightness. Did it have as much punch as the 92 x 52...no, but it was Very useable and produced a great HD picture.

I know, the numbers don't indicate that this is correct. But my eyes sure do.

Terry

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am using an XG110 on Dalite Pearlescent (2.0 according to the box) at 97" X 72" and the pic is quite good. I would however like to try it on an 84" wide screen just to see how much brighter it would be. It seems good now but you never know...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree with Churchuf

I run a 16.9 screen and the image is Beautiful there is plenty of contrast and Brightness smaller is better but hey this is an 8 inch I have yet to try it on HD but no doubt the outcome would be the same

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
HD is awesome on a big 16:9 Gatherer.

But if you think you want big, really big and bright, build a Torus.

I just rolled in an 808S and filled most of the screen on my 106W x 60H Torus and had to turn the Contrast down to 70. It was just to bright.....lol

Terry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have decided to go with DaLite CinemaVision 104" * 58". Placed the order with projectorspecs yesterday. I think they offer the best price.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use a 96" screen with my G70 and it seems plenty bright to me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only reason that I am going with a 119 (104 * 58) inch diag screen is because Sony has already setup G70 at 120". I believe Sony already figured out the optimal size of the screen to be 120".

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
461 Posts
The 7" 1272, or 1252 are factory set for 120" diagonal too, but it is too big screen. 100" diagonal is more logical.

BTW, I have a G70 with less than 400 hrs on a 100" screen. Fantastic!

CH Yeow

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CH Yeow
The 7" 1272, or 1252 are factory set for 120" diagonal too, but it is too big screen. 100" diagonal is more logical.

BTW, I have a G70 with less than 400 hrs on a 100" screen. Fantastic!

CH Yeow
Hallo CH Yeow,

Where do you buy this G70?Do you buy it in Singapore?

Please help me, I want buy this G70 too.

Hope you can give me the information about this seller.

Maybe the seller in Singapore can give me reasonable price.

Sorry for jumping off the topic.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.