AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a Panasonic V10 and trying to decide what is the optimum screen size.


Currently have a 51" Mitsubishi rear projection TV. I sit at 10.5 feet away, and wife sits at 8.5 feet away at a 30-45 degree angle.


Was considering the 50", but am wondering if that might be a tad small - the wife thinks our 51" Mitsu is just fine in size, though at BB it seemed that the 50" Panny was somewhat smaller - maybe it was just perception, but it really did seem a lot smaller.


I think the 54" Panny is about $300+ more in price - don't know if that extra would make a difference and am wondering if going the 50" route would be a good compromise given our different viewing distances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Extra real-estate always comes in handy. You'll be kicking yourself later knowing that you didn't get the larger set. A few weeks into viewing you'll be wondering how much nicer that extra few inches on the tv makes you feel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermad /forum/post/16853435


Extra real-estate always comes in handy. You'll be kicking yourself later knowing that you didn't get the larger set. A few weeks into viewing you'll be wondering how much nicer that extra few inches on the tv makes you feel.

Well, I just don't know if I'm willing to give up the swivel stand of the 50" version (the 54" doesn't come with one) and pay an extra $400-$500 for the larger screen. Our current screen size seems quite large, at least to us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 /forum/post/16854543


Well, I just don't know if I'm willing to give up the swivel stand of the 50" version (the 54" doesn't come with one) and pay an extra $400-$500 for the larger screen. Our current screen size seems quite large, at least to us.

Just get the larger set. I have a Pioneer KRP-500m and sit about 7-8 feet away and I wish I had a 600m. And if I had a 600m I would wish I had a 700m and so on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
^ What he said. I went from a 50" plasma to a 60" 600M at 8.5' distance. I could go to a 70" at my distance no problem.


Something else to consider - a flat panel TV will sit much more flush to the wall than your 51" Mitsubishi rear projection TV. So it may actually end up being close to 12' away if you mount it on the wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,475 Posts
I now sit 7-8 feet from a 63" and it doesn't seem too big at all. I'm not a big believer in the optimal distance charts for close viewing. Manypeople on this forum want a cinema-like experience, and that means the screen should dominate your field of vision (to the extent your wallet and room allow).


Our main TV is in a family room with adjacent breakfast eating area so wile my primary seat is straight on there are many off-axis and much further distance viewing angles. Since we've always had a plasma it has had a great image from off-aixs but there's still no doubt it isn't an ideal experience. To me and the rest of my family the swivel stand on our new 63" is the single most important feature after core PQ. We LOVE it, even more than we thought we would. It gets swiveled to different positions at least several times a day and substantially improves the experience. It's just insane in my opinion that more manufacturers haven't provided that as standard or an option for their larger sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, its funny. Maybe it is because I don't go to movie theaters much, and when I did I always sat closer to the rear. Plus having smaller TV sets for many years, it got me used to not having this huge field of view in front of me. Sometimes, even at my 10 feet distance with our 51" TV I feel like I can't take in all the action and picture - I feel I'm missing things sometimes while watching. I guess that's why I was thinking that the 50" would be optimal for us given our viewing distances, etc. I don't want to end up with something that is too big and becomes distracting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
That is true if the set is too big you might miss the detail in corners that you would normally see but at 10 feet I would go for the largest set you can afford.
I would recommend 58 inches and above for maximum viewing pleasure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 /forum/post/16858737


You know, its funny. Maybe it is because I don't go to movie theaters much, and when I did I always sat closer to the rear. Plus having smaller TV sets for many years, it got me used to not having this huge field of view in front of me. Sometimes, even at my 10 feet distance with our 51" TV I feel like I can't take in all the action and picture - I feel I'm missing things sometimes while watching. I guess that's why I was thinking that the 50" would be optimal for us given our viewing distances, etc. I don't want to end up with something that is too big and becomes distracting.

I usually sit about 3/4th of the way back, so I'm definitely not one who sits up close at the theater. But a decent theater screen from 3/4th of the way back is still at least as large in your field of vision as my 63" from 8 feet in my family room. At 7-8 feet I can still take in the full screen in my vision, plus some to spare, so its not like I'm missing any action. When I sat 8 feet from my 50", the screen took only a fraction of my focus and it didn't feel anything like being at the movies, even from the back row.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top