AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that i have ordered my ht1000 , i was hoping fellow ht1000 owners could help me choose the right size screen.

I am trying to decide between a 80" (92" diag)wide and 87" wide(100" diag)

I would prefer 100" diag as i will be sitting between 13-16.5ft away from the screen.

is 100" diag too big as I dont want to lose vital brightness , and I want the most punchy picture as possible, will going up from 92" to 100" lose much brightness ???

so anyway , what do you all use and bear in mind i will most likely be using a draper 1300, or similar 1-1.3 gain material

many thanks in anticipation

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
crump,

I think you'll be fine with the larger screen. I have a 92" wide Grayhawk from about the same seating distance and it's a tad too big. I moved the projector closer and I now project an 85" or so, wide picture on the same screen and it looks much better. Brighter and, biggest for me, no screendoor, even in bright scenes.

Scott

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am using a 106" diagonal draper 1300, and neither brightness nor screendoor are a problem for me. Both the projector and I sit about 13-14' from the screen, and I confine my movie watching to after-dark.

Good luck

Phil

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
scottyb: I have a 92" wide Grayhawk also. I just got my HT1000 and will be setting it up tomorrow night. Was the image just a little dim for you on your Grayhawk screen? Were you running in normal or eco mode with iris open or closed? It also seems that the Black Detail gamma setting makes the image a little brighter. I quickly checked out the image on my screen Tuesday night and thought it looked fine on the Grayhawk in Eco mode with iris open and Natural gamma correction. How does it look projecting the smaller image on your 92" screen. Is the border of unused Grayhawk material distracting? Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
20,749 Posts
I should have mentioned that I'm using Eco mode, iris open. Still trying to decide if I like Guitarmans settings with my D1 or closer to stock ( which is brighter, but I don't have a Hi Power screen ).

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I'm using an 84" wide 16:9 screen with 1.2 gain, so the 1.3 should be fine with iris closed in eco mode.

Gary.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have 92 " wide 16:9 screen of 1 gain. I sit 14 feet from screen and my HT1K is Eco mode with closed iris. This works for me. Also, I have total light control of the room.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Tom,

like your quick trial I run econo mode iris open. Picture looks great, but would like a little more brightness. Still debating on spending the $$ on different screen material for the Stewart frame, just don't know if it would be worth it. As for the unused portion of the screen, I can hardly tell once the picture is running. I do use masking on the top and bottom, but not on the 4"-5" on the sides. Keep me posted, once you get it set-up. Try your own settings though as Tom(guitarmans) are way too red with the grayhawk. If you want, maybe PM me with your phhone # and I'll give you a call within a week and we can try to tweak the HT1000 with the Grayhawk.

Scott

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
I'm still viewing off a nicely, ultra white painted wall in a totally light controlled room. Darker walls and floor, but white ceiling . The image is very nice, could be better with a nice screen, but it's working for me until I can make up my mind.

I don't notice too much difference between a 80" and 87" wide screen sizes. The main difference is screen door performance at the smaller size, and the smaller size is just a tad brighter but nothing to write home about, IMHO.

I'm currently running a 80" screen, watching from 10+ feet, running in econo mode with iris closed. If I open up the iris, the projected black levels get just a tad too bright in a totally dark room environment. But if I ever have company over and we need to have some ambient lighting in the next room and the over heads on low, putting the HT1000 in normal lamp mode and iris open provides a nice kick. Especially for something like watching football.

I am still working thru what screen to install. I'd like to have a screen that takes the projected blacks down just a little more for the total dark room conditions. I have 3 screens on my radar screen... the Grayhawk, the Firehawk, and the Da-Lite HC Cinemavision 1.1.

I need to experiment with some ND filters to see what set up variations I can achieve with a 1.1-1.3 gain screen, with a ND filter on-off.

I'll probably settle on the 92" wide 16:9 screen size.

Good luck with your screen choice and plase keep us posted.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all you advice guys , i think i might stick witha 80" wide just to ensure a bright punchy picture and the ability of using eco mode and iris settings.

once again thanks

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Mr. Biggles,

How high do you have your projector mounted? Do you think I could have it mounted at 8' and still get some of the benefit of the Hi-power? I know it's retro reflective but I'm looking for something with just some gain, say 1.5 to 2.0. If you could test it, that would be great. I'll send you a Scotty B' Restaurant shirt :) :)

Scott

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Scott,

Sounds good. I'll be playing with the HT1000 quite a bit tonight on my Grayhawk. Do you mean Guitarman's posted RGB contrast and brightness settings for the Bravo D1? I'll try them and let you know if they look too red (I have a D1 also). I may be getting a copy of Colorfacts soon, so hopefully I could dial in my HT1000 perfectly to the Grayhawk. I don't really have the option to change my screen material as I have a Luxus Model A Electriscreen. Stewart quoted about $1.5K to change screen material plus 2-way shipping. May as welll sell the screen and buy another if I wanted to make a change. As projectors continue to get brighter I don't think the Grayhawk will be a bad choice long-term. It's probably marginal for the HT1000 at a 92" width, but I'm just looking at the HT1000 as a 1-2 year interim projector. I'll PM you with my contact info.

Tom

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Most will go for the larger screen for greater impact. I'm use to the 92" wide 106diagonal view of my widescreen movies. Wouldn't want to go smaller.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
This is one cool club we have going on the HT1000 and probably the largest in this forum.

Mr. Crumpet almost blew it by getting the infocus 5700. Glad you saw the light. I haven't seen the 5700 but have seen the 7200 and wouldn't trade for that one.

Remember we have the blacks and contrast. That smooth picture you're liking on the HT1000 is special to this model.

I had many people say how smooth the picture is over a couple of HD2's they've seen.

Be happy with your purchase you're in the right club.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Guitarman,

Now that you've run both, do you prefer the Hicontrast screen or the Hipower? Did you have the HT1000 ceiling mounted when you ran the Hipower? Ya I enjoy the "Club" also, but my Mrs. says I'm here too much :)

·
Registered
20,749 Posts
I'm so spun out with excitment watching stuff on my HT1000 I might need a 12 step program for home theater soon. I compared it to my old InFocus LP755 lcd pj last night - not even close - the NEC is soo smooth! I'm afraid of what new devices I may discover on the Home Theater Cruise. It would be both ironic and typical if winning a free cruise winds up costing me a couple of grand in new video gear ( D - VHS anyone ? )! Hell, I'm not really a football fan ( my fiance is ) and I find myself looking forward to MNF on HDTV. This is all NEC's and your guys fault! If NEC ever brings out a much improved newer version of the HT1000 ( if that's possible ), no doubt I'll be calling AVS and reaching for my credit card " Zombie like ".................

Other than that, I love this HT1000 club!

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Scotty, ceiling mounted all the time. HP was bright and looked very good. The lower gain Mat White makes for stronger colors with the darker image. Both are fine but I like where I'm at now.

Craig, I have the same problem the projectors going every night. I'm at 950hrs.

Prospective buyers have to check this PJ out. It's smooth powdery type resolution is perfect for a film like image.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.