AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 32" XBR400. Does anybody know what the "optimum" viewing distance for this puppy is for:

a) Standard def 4x3 format

b) HD, "squeezed" into letterbox format

Seems like someone has done these calculations and figured it out...would love to know!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Rule of thumb for 4:3 480i images ... 4 to 6 times picture height. (or 5 to 7 times PH) At this distance , scan lines are not noticeable.

However ... the 32 XBR400 is progressive scan ... the rule for 480P is either 1 to 3 times picture height or as close as possible until you can see the scan line structure.

For HDTV ... 1 to 3 times picture height. Any more and the resolution advantage of a 2 million pixel display over a 1 million pixel display begins to rapidly decrease to a point where both images look the same.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
28,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohmygawd! That's pretty close! Like within 6 feet away, max! What about radiation exposure at that distance? Unfortunately, I'm limited to being about 10 feet away, 8 if I sit on the floor in front of the couch.

I can start to see the scan lines at about 5 or 6 feet away. One thing I've always wondered about is why they look "vertical" to me - I've always heard of them as being "horizontal" scan lines...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy:
Ohmygawd! That's pretty close! Like within 6 feet away, max! What about radiation exposure at that distance? Unfortunately, I'm limited to being about 10 feet away, 8 if I sit on the floor in front of the couch.

I can start to see the scan lines at about 5 or 6 feet away. One thing I've always wondered about is why they look "vertical" to me - I've always heard of them as being "horizontal" scan lines...
They are horizontal. You are not seeing scan lines. You must be talking about the vertical RGB strips.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The vertical stripes you see is a physical limitation of direct view. I've heard what you are seeing as the shadow mask or aperture grill.

I normally sit between 7 and 9 feet from my 32" XBR400 and don't see the vertical lines. If I get closer than 6' I can. It was not an issue with DVDs, but I appreciated the problem once I got an HDTV stb.

BTW the picture size in squeeze mode is about 30".

Tom

[This message has been edited by tombarry (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Registered
98 Posts
The optimum viewing distance for the sony XBR400 series is about 5 or 6 feet - the distance at which you just see the stripe pitch (the fine vertical line pattern visible on the face of the screen). The coarse stripe pitch on the XBR400 series only allows about 600-700 horizontal lines, total, to be displayed. This is far short of the 1200 horizontal lines that good RPTVs display, or the 1900 lines possible with the HD format. The XBR series is just not capable of displaying anything near HD resolution.

If you sit any further than 5 or 6 feet away from an XBR400 you are not even seeing all the detail that the set CAN display (limited as it is).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If you're comfortable sitting 10' away, don't worry about it. While you're losing some resolution due to distance, what pleases YOU is what counts in the end. As far as radiation, relax. The faceplate on the tube is a marvelous x-radiation shield. Unless you're nose up to the face plate for hours on end, it's a non-issue. Since the inverse-square law (the intensity drops by the square of the distance) applies, even at 5' you'll be Ok because the intensity would be 1/25th that at the faceplate - which is already considerably diminished by the lead content of the glass. The rear of the set is another matter, and repair techs do have to watch their exposure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.