AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thman /forum/post/20857660

The foam surrounds are finally going, and I thought I would use the opportunity to upgrade the woofers. Anyone have success with this mod?

That woofer is not necessarily dead. You can have the woofer re-foamed. There are places online that can perform the service for you or even send you a kit with instructions so you can try to do it on your own. People have tried to replace the original woofer with drivers on the parts express website, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's your call.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
I wonder how easy it will be to find a 3.6" surround. I'd look on ebay for some original woofers to replace the ones you have.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20858408

I wonder how easy it will be to find a 3.6" surround. I'd look on ebay for some original woofers to replace the ones you have.

As easy as googling 'speaker refoaming':

Here is just one link to a company who can test and refoam the speaker for $25. (You'll probably have to pay for shipping).
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-refoaming.html

Here is an actual re-foam kit intended specifically for that original woofer. (Notice though, it's price isn't any different than it would cost just to have that company I linked earlier do it for you AND they will test the woofer's functionality.)
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/optimu...it-fsk-5l.html

And for your enjoyment, a link to a thread discussing the LX-5 and replacing the midrange. Even though they think the results are 'great', you must understand that whatever replacement woofer you use, the crossover may not operate with it correctly and the output could either be too soft or too loud for the tweeter. This is why I really don't recommend just popping in a replacement driver as it's not going to correctly match the tweeter without a new passive crossover being designed. (Although, if you have a receiver which auto-calibrates the sound, it "might" correct the response issues you will likely encounter, which is probably why the guys in that thread seem to think it sounds 'great'.)

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=198111

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the "successful" replacements I've seen online appear use drivers with a Qts way wrong for this size speaker. There seems to be no solid science in upgrading the woofers in these things. Refoaming may be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thman
Most of the "successful" replacements I've seen online appear use drivers with a Qts way wrong for this size speaker. There seems to be no solid science in upgrading the woofers in these things. Refoaming may be the way to go.
You are wise.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thman
Which is why I recommended the original replacement and not just something that fits. What is special about that speaker is the tweeter - an unusual design that seems to work very well. The Linaeum tweeter is/was a very good design - nothing special about the woofer or RS would have had a real winner. Been a long time since they had one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.