AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to jump on board the mass storage and back up of my dvds and blurays but cannot seem to find a reasonably prices rack for alot of harddrives. I would like to have at least 8 bays but preferrably 10-12 and also room for a bluray drive. Any suggestions. It is very hard to find names here on the forums.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
"Reasonably priced" and "server rack" are mutually exclusive. Most people use Norco cases, which are the least expensive ($300-$350) 16-24 bay cases, but they don't have room for a full size BD-ROM drive.

If you can live without rack-mount and hot-swap, this case is the cheapest, big case you're likely to find. It has room for 9 internal HDDs right of the bat, plus you could add another 10 (with two 5-in-3 drive cages like this ) and still have room for a full sized BD-ROM.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/17018907

I am ready to jump on board the mass storage and back up of my dvds and blurays but cannot seem to find a reasonably prices rack for alot of harddrives. I would like to have at least 8 bays but preferrably 10-12 and also room for a bluray drive. Any suggestions. It is very hard to find names here on the forums.

Thanks,

Adam

If you can live without BD Drive. This is a popular choice....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811219021

if you need BD Drive then there is this.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811219030

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I decided to go with this monster Chenbro Case. It has 9 5.25" bays and a separate spot internally for a 3.5' HDD for the O/S. I ordered 3 5-3 HDD cages which will give me a total of 15 HDDs. You can also use one of the 5.25" bays for a BR rom drive. As another posted mentioned though, "reasonably priced" is subject to interpretation. You can also take a look at the guide here , Renethx has other options being:

Cooler Master Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP (9 x 5.25″ bay), $56 with:

Athena Power BP-SATA3051B 5-in-3 backplane (turns 3 x 5.25″ bay into 5 x 3.5″ bay) x 3, $330.

or

Antec Twelve Hundred (12 x 5.25″ bay), $149 with:

Lian Li EX-23NB Internal HDD Kit (turns 2 x 5.25″ bay into 3 x 3.5″ bay) x 6, $138.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. What a lot of info. My head is about to explode. LOL I was hoping for a rack mount option but the towers seem to be so much quiter and that may be an issue for me as Im not sure where it will be mounted yet. Plus I saw that the tower one that was suggested is supposed to be super quite which is a plus. On the opposite end the front load ones look really cool.

..??????..confusion...?????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.