AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to TX from CA and had to get DirecTV because they have the most NHL CI in HD and I get just about every Sharks game in HD.

Only problem is the lame DirecTV/Versus dispute and San Jose Sharks playoffs games. My best option is looking like going with Time Warner Cable in addition to DirecTV for those few months because I won't get stuck with a contract and can cancel when I don't need it. Cheaper than adding FIOS for a few months (I do FIOS internet only right now)

Can't suspend DirecTV because, for rounds 1 and 2, most Sharks playoffs games will be on NHL CI - HD (feed from CSN-CA HD). But some will be on Versus HD and I refuse to miss one and I refuse to get one off an illegal streaming feed because PQ and AQ is so poor and not reliable. If the Sharks finally stop choking and advances to conf finals and cup finals, most games will be on Versus HD (no NHL CI at that point, so by then I could suspend DirecTV for a month or two and connect cable to coax, so at most this is a question to solve a problem that will last for 2-3 weeks, but I need to solve it).

Problem is the new house is wired for coax and it looks like if I wanted to have cable even in one room I'd need to run additional coax. That simply isn't happening at all. It's completely out of the question. Even drilling a hole to get coax directly into the living room is problematic because in Texas most of the new homes have brick exteriors and I don't want to mess with that. So I am thinking that I run cable into the garage and hook up the HD-DVR STB there and somehow get the video/audio to the living room TV (or dedicated HT projector and AV system).

Is my best wireless option to use a Slingbox Pro HD and Slingcatcher? What I don't like is that the Slingcatcher doesn't do HD, at best it is 1280 x 540. Ridiculous.

What about Slingbox Pro HD and using my Macbook Pro as the slingbox client and then connecting the MBP to my TV? Will that give me HD resolution? (I would do it over my 802.11n 5 GHZ lan or set up a separate 802.11n 5 Ghz LAN just for Slingbox) Probably screw me over on sound, but I can probably live with the compromise. Also SlingBox Pro HD could have other applications for us once we dump cable (avoiding the soon to come MRV fee from DirecTV).

Money isn't as much of an issue as much as hassle (Cannot just run physical cable, please do not suggest that). As it is I am greatly disturbed by how much money I have to spend to take care one channel I absolutely need from April to June, but even worse is that no matter what I do, I may not get the ideal situation of having Versus HD with good PQ with DD 5.1 sound in my living room or dedicated HT. While money per se isn't an issue, it is ridiculous to spend say $1000 for a solution to this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide for my predicament.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think the real issue is do you really want to go through all this only to see the Sharks get swept by the Wings in the first round

Just kidding...well, not really I am a Wings fan, but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpwaman /forum/post/18184551

I think the real issue is do you really want to go through all this only to see the Sharks get swept by the Wings in the first round

Just kidding...well, not really I am a Wings fan, but you know what I mean.

Haha, I want no part of Detroit in the first round that's for sure. Except for 1994, the playoff history is one sided.

But I do need to come up with a solution. Or at least options for now. Seeing the Versus games at a bar (even Buffalo Wild Wings) in Texas is probably not possible unless the Sharks are playing the Stars, and of course most sports bars in the country have DirecTV (for Sunday ticket), so they won't have Versus on anyways. I just want Versus HD in my living room and/or HT room. I don't think that is too much to ask.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts