AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I purchased a 106" pull down screen as a temporary solution, until I finish my basement. I was hoping the forum could give me some ideas/pictures on how to build a structure I can use to hang the screen, without attaching it to the wall or ceiling. I need to be able to take down the screen and move it out of the room, or to a different room, as needed.

What have you done to get around not being able to hang a pull down?

·
Banned
960 Posts
The 106" diagonal is not too heavy so you have a few options or at least a little wiggle room to try to get creative. No need for some heavy duty stand to make it work.

Depending on how handy you are. I've assisted with some pretty cool on the spot creations at different trade shows. In one situation, we put together some T stands using aluminum extrusion. Just imagine an upside down "T" that comes apart at the feet. Using some custom L brackets on the case that bolt down on top of the T. Only bad part is that the image will be a little low but might not be a problem for a temporary solution.

A little more work can get you something similar but using more support. You can build something that would when you look at sideways, resembles an "A" with the screen at the top of the A. That way the top of the structure is heavily supported. Only problem is that it would be stored instead of broken down.

These are just ideas, i'm sure others will come in here and give better more reasonable solutions.

Benito

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I never thought of a tripod screen, although I am not sure I would have gotten a size I wanted in that. My temporary situation might last 6 months or a little longer, so I wanted a little bit larger size.

I don't mind having to take time to put something together and take it apart, when we decide to watch a movie. So if anyone has any suggestions, or ideas, that they have done - I sure would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
just build "boxes" out of 1X2's ... basically two columns as tall as needed eg... 7 foot tall by 2X2 foot square. Then build a "trellis" ("littler box") across the top to "stabilize" the columns and hang the screen from. IF you choose your hardware and overall dimensions wisely, the columns can stay together and moved out after detaching each from the other. Spray with black paint, and it will look like aluminum "truss work" that they use outdoors for temporary displays/shows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.