AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Toshiba 50H81 from 2001, which supports 1080i but not 720p. I currently use a Samsung SIR-T150 to decode OTA HDTV, and it's able to upconvert 720p signals to 1080i, or just pass through 1080i signals.

I'm considering buying a Playstation 3, but since it doesn't natively support upscaling of 720p content to 1080i, I would need an external scaling solution if I didn't want to be stuck playing 720p games in downscaled 480p. I've read that some HD receivers (e.g. the Samsung SIR-T360) can actually take external component video input and cross-convert from any standard source (480p, 720p, 1080i) to 720p or 1080i. If this is true, then it would seem to solve the PS3 resolution issue for my TV set, and it could also serve as a replacement for my current OTA HD receiver.

So, what receivers are capable of both OTA HD decoding and upscaling of external component (or HDMI) video sources to 1080i? Are there meaningful differences in the upscaling quality between these devices? And what's the best way to get one of these devices on the cheap while being reasonably sure that it will work properly? (I've seen SIR-T360s in quantity on eBay for $30 + $18 s/h from power sellers, but I don't know how much of a gamble I'd be taking by going that route...)

Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.