1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, here is my current setup:

Display: Samsung PN58C7000 3d Plasma

BD: Samsung BD-c6900

audio: Sony STR-DE835 (about 12 years old), matched with Sony SS-MS5 satellite speakers and SA-WMS5 subwoofer

I've been using the USB on the BD player to watch movies/tv from a thumbdrive after transferring the file from my PC to the thumbdrive.

I have Cat5e drops at my PC (downstairs) and the media room (upstairs), but I have not been happy with Samsung's DLNA method of playing my files from my PC. That PC is a Windows XP box with external hard drives connected via USB.

The first thing I'd like to do is to be able to view the files from my PC in my media room without having to transfer files to a thumbdrive or moving the external HD upstairs when I want to watch something. I have an Apple TV2 (jailbroke and with XBMC) and really like the interface but don't like the random crashes, and I don't want to convert all my media to iTunes.

Should I focus on getting a better media server like a NAS (which I want to do eventually) or should I first get a better streamer (PCH or WD, or is ATV2 good enough). Which should I get first?

I plan to upgrade my audio as well, but I'll do that after I get all my media stuff taken care of.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Quote:
Options?
One option that comes to my mind is to edit the title of this thread to something that describes your problem. That being said, it all depends on what you want to spend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as budget goes, let's say $1,000

Obviously a NAS would take a significant portion of that and I am willing to spend $$ on something like a synology or building an unRAID. But I am not willing to spend $1k on a streaming media device (do they even make one like that?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK
Build an HTPC!!!! Well within your budget and all problems would be solved.
Seems like that's the route to take...however, would that be limited by my downstairs xp box with external usb hard drives?

I currently have two 2TB drives (one for movies, one for TV) that are constantly being updated, and I do that work in my office not in the media room. So I don't want my HTPC to be my ripping box, just my playing box, if that makes sense...

But if the USB connection on the xp box will be too limiting, does that mean I need to go the NAS/unRAID route first?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
It really all comes down to priorities and how you currently use your system. Try and identify the current systems shortcomings as they apply to you and then develop a list of all the things you actually need in a whole house media network scenario. I did this a while ago before purchasing anything and wound up with an all Apple network fed by a windows PC and controlled by an iPad and iTouch. Developing an iTunes library was certainly time consuming but now that it's tagged, organized and complete i wouldn't have it any other way. The GUI and relaibility of a stock ATV2 is just what my family needed. No tinkering, tweeks, or crashes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.