AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My parents are finally getting around to upgrading their CRT and I've been tasked with picking their new HDTV.

I'm leaning towards plasma over other technologies because of its strength with off center viewing positions.

They need something with an S-Video input. They have a ton of VHS tapes, many of which have never been released on DVD. They completely understand that the PQ of these tapes will be poor, but they just want the ability to view them.

I want them to avoid having to get an AVR. They are not into surround sound (which makes me question if they are really my parents
The extra equipment would just confuse and frustrate them.

From the research I've done it seems that Panasonic is the only major manufacturer to offer an S-video input. It seems that Samsung & Sony (LCDs) don't come with this feature. Is this correct? Are there any other brands or things to consider?

The only alternative I can think of would be for them to get an AVR only for video switching. With a new remote and some macros this might work, but I think it would be wasteful and unnecessarily complicated.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_N /forum/post/18311695

....They need something with an S-Video input. They have a ton of VHS tapes, many of which have never been released on DVD. They completely understand that the PQ of these tapes will be poor, but they just want the ability to view them.

From the research I've done it seems that Panasonic is the only major manufacturer to offer an S-video input. It seems that Samsung & Sony (LCDs) don't come with this feature. Is this correct? Are there any other brands or things to consider?

Bad news, it looks like for 2010 Panasonic has dropped the S-Video input from it's jack packs. Can't they just connect the VCR to the TV using the regular yellow Composite Video instead of S-Video?

Another option would be for them to get a nice upconverting combo DVD and VHS player/recorder and connecting it to the TV with HDMI or Component.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18312703

Can't they just connect the VCR to the TV using the regular yellow Composite Video instead of S-Video?

Another option would be for them to get a nice upconverting combo DVD and VHS player/recorder and connecting it to the TV with HDMI or Component.

I thought the composite video input was phased out on most sets. But that would definitely work. When reading through specs all the focus is on the newer connection options. Shame on all the manufacturers who do not provide adequate images of their products on-line.

Thanks

Tom

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_N /forum/post/18312911

I thought the composite video input was phased out on most sets. But that would definitely work. When reading through specs all the focus is on the newer connection options. Shame on all the manufacturers who do not provide adequate images of their products on-line.

It looks like all of the 2010 Panasonic plasma models still have a yellow Composite Video input on the rear (and another on the side).

Those VHS tapes will degrade over time - it might be a good idea for them to get a combo recorder and create DVD copies of their VHS tapes if they want to keep the content for years to come.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe all the plasma mfrs have done away with s-video this year. Samsung did last year and it appears Panasonic and LG have this year. They all still have composite (yellow) connections which will be ok for VHS. If I were in the market this year the lack of s-video could be an issue for me or anyone else who has DISH SD or Direct SD. I'll upgrade eventually but since I get all the major network HD via antenna upgrading hasn't been a real priority. One way someone with DISH SD can work around it is to run the s-video thru a DVD recorder and output to the TV via component (or HDMI). The only drawback is that you have to have the DVD recorder on to watch TV. This is what I do in my man cave and to my eyes it even produces a better picture than running s-video straight to the TV.

Mike

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ya, S-Video is only a SD connection, and so is kind of pointless on a HDTV. Now you may be able to get a Combo DVD/VHS player with a HDMI connection which would work for BOTH or at the very least Component. Even surround sound Receivers are starting to drop S-Video connections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts