AVS Forum banner

Which is better for Dual Projector Stereo 3D setup

• HD20 (1080p, All out for dual projector system)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HD66 (720p, cheaper, 3D Ready, resale value)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dying!!!

This is very difficult right now for me to chose.

Need: Demo 3D footage in front of investors to fund 3D movie. Most likely live, by plugging in output from each of the 2 Stereo 3D cameras into each projector. We will use Circular Polarization (same as RealD 3D, actually, using their glasses.
) then later after we complete the movie, we will need to show it to people, so we want high quality.

Comparison:

HD20

Pros: native 1080p. 720p is old and resale value lower (not taking HD66 being 3D ready into account). 1080p much higher quality and can be used to show the movie after we are done. we will be shooting it using 1080p cameras (Canon 7D's.) Great reviews, in depth and a clear solid value buy.

Cons: not 3D ready, so harder to use separately later, or even resale value. $2k for two, when we are trying to minimize budget

HD66

Pros: ~$300 less (a piece) than the HD20. 3D Ready!! awesome resale value later on when we are done with them, or even keep them for ourselves for active-shutter 3D later on.

Cons: not 1080p and thus much lower quality for professional demo/showing of film. Also no good/extensive review of product and capabilities including the 120Hz 720p, etc.

Please help! I need to figure out which one to go with based on our needs.

Reason for needing 2 projectors: there is a reason IMAX 3D and RealD 3D technologies use 2 projectors (for the most part) and that is passive stereo system. you can have 100 viewers, all with cheap glasses (

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I bought the HD66 to save $600 and at least try out the tech and see whether it will work or not. I ordered the projectors from BeachCamera and received them the next day with standard shipping--they shipped from NJ, I live in DC, short trip. Anyway, I'm still building my screen frame so I setup a temp screen on the wall with some tape and attempted to try out the polarization for the silver screen I had. Plugged in one projector, tested it out, and it wasn't bad. around 60-70% efficiency. I simply used 2 pairs of IMAX 3D glasses (linearly polarized) as well as 2 pairs of RealD 3D (circularly polarized). Took me a minute or two to test and things went well. So I plugged in the second projector, aligned them as best I could since it was close range--I'm betting I'll have much better luck when I test the 120" (5ft x 9ft) screen setup. Continuing on, I put both polarizers on the lenses, started trying things out and i suddenly hear popping! OUCH, "what's going on!?" I'm thinking. I look at the cheap plasticy RealD lenses and the projector is burning a hole through them.

So I immediately took them off and started testing a new pair, but putting them as far out as I can. Still, very visible that the projector is simply too hot for the small plastic lenses. I am in the process of looking online for a solid alternative.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts