AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm just feeling a little froggy because it's 4:30AM and I've not slept yet, however I thought I would leave an dissatisfied review of the 3D-XL on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk sites pointing out the price disparities.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004EBV7LW

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047ZH3CW

Not surprisingly, the review at the uk site is pending for a while since I was a new user over there but hopefully - assuming I'm not the only one who thinks it's a crock-o-silicon that those of us in the Americas have to pay a $100 USD / £64 GBP premium for pre-ordering the product.

---

For me, the 3D-XL was the entire reason I purchased the GT700 but having to pay a surcharge just to get the 110VAC cord to the power brick instead of the 220VAC cord makes me choke. I'm sure it's bad form to rate a product on it's pricing only but so far, that's the only part I can afford to rate.

Maybe if enough squawking is done about it, their sales team will notice the "obvious typo"...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got really fired up at one point and sent an email off to projectors.co.uk to ask if they can export it and how much shipping would be. Yes they can, don't have an answer back on shipping... but in the mean time it made me wonder, am I going to have to ship it back to the Optoma-UK for each firmware update, lol.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah I'm really not quite sure why the manufacturer has suggested an MSRP of $400 and $500 is what Amazon is charging. Hopefully other warehouse retailers will get ahold of these units sooner than later.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
01/04/2011 is the British launch-date, so I would expect the US version to either be the same day or sometime the following week. Which, coincidentally is probably when I'm going to get my GT700 back from the 3D firmware RMA, lol.

I looked at the RMA Status website this morning - which, again coincidentally, remained unpopulated until after I called asking for an update over the phone - and it had the tidbits below contained within the image below. What do you think that means? I'm no HDMI guru but it looks like the firmware update hosed the EDID ROM and it had to be reflashed as part of the process.

Part of me is dying to know how a firmware update pooched the EDID ROM and the other half is really happy he had to send it in for something as trivial as a firmware update. Who knows, maybe they're just breaking it so they can issue me a GT720 like the RMA really wanted.

Oh well, I'll call over there again this afternoon and pester them a little more to find out whatever updates have happened since the last time their RMA info website was updated. Anyone else who had the RMA firmware update notice anything like that on their worklogs?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Why not send an email to Optoma telling them they made a pricing mistake, here look at the amazon uk price Optoma, you converted it wrong. If they actually answer your email they will tell you exactly why the price is set to whatever it is.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark
www.tru3d.com said they will carry it and sell worldwide but no price

Does anyone know a canadian site? i found www.consignia.ca but they don't have a price

and where can i buy 2 more (since 3d-xl comes with 2) dlink shutter glasses? and are there kids sizes?
3d-xl only comes with one pair of glasses, where did you see its two?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee
Why not send an email to Optoma telling them they made a pricing mistake, here look at the amazon uk price Optoma, you converted it wrong. If they actually answer your email they will tell you exactly why the price is set to whatever it is.
When they give me the return shipping tracking number on my projector's RMA, I plan on doing just that. But until they ship me back my equipment, I'm picking my battles carefully.

Speaking of which, I forgot to call them about the status. The website, I've found is only updated after you call them in person to ask but I'm still curious about my EDID having to be flashed twice. :shrug: Not that I'd get any useful information regarding *that* question, lol...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee
I did that right of the bat. Their response was:

0"

We appreciate your interest in the Optoma Brand and would like to foster a better relationship with you. As you may know, Optoma USA and Optoma UK have similarities such as the company name and other operating principles.

On the other hand, the cost of projectors varies due to the exchange rate in the US verses the rate in the UK. "

This was in response to sending them details about the 12-month exchange rate history and pointing out that at no time in that period would the exchange rate have put the US equivalent at more than 399.

Seems to me that this isn't a clerical error, this was a decision made on their part. For what reason I cannot fathom.. but as any of you that have worked in a corporate environment know, once a decision like this is made, it's not likely to be changed without outside influence.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart628 /forum/post/19623814

3d-xl only comes with one pair of glasses, where did you see its two?

Sh$t your right, i misread it. 1 pair of glasses what a rip off..... so this is going to cost me $499 + at least 1 more pair when i really need 4 total. so what.....$800 ? ontop of my $800 projector ..... this is just crazy now

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003Q96CCC

is this the cheapiestfor these glasses? and do they have kids glasses?

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark /forum/post/19627586

Sh$t your right, i misread it. 1 pair of glasses what a rip off..... so this is going to cost me $499 + at least 1 more pair when i really need 4 total. so what.....$800 ? ontop of my $800 projector ..... this is just crazy now

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003Q96CCC

is this the cheapiestfor these glasses? and do they have kids glasses?

Not by a long shot; you can get them for a lot less. Here's a pair for $50-$60 I just stubled on today ($60 for the first, $50 after that). That's almost cheap enough to make me stick with dlp link.

http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/uldlpliwi3dg.html

Haven't seen any dlp link kids' glasses though.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp /forum/post/19628463

Not by a long shot; you can get them for a lot less. Here's a pair for $50-$60 I just stubled on today ($60 for the first, $50 after that). That's almost cheap enough to make me stick with dlp link.

http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/uldlpliwi3dg.html

Haven't seen any dlp link kids' glasses though.

ya someone else pointed that link out.. and i was reading a thread on there emitter IR glasses and someone outside of USA got charged allotfo duties on his purchase. Which leads me (in canada) to think i will to so is it really worth it? I can buy Xpand X102 DLP Link 3D Glasses from tigerdirect.ca locally for $137 ... Now thats no shipping etc ... but are these good glasses?

I see at futureshop and bestbuy they have glasses for kids but i guess these aren't dlp?

unless any good old USA boys wouldn't mindordering somein bulk and shipping to canada as "gift" i have paypal

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have 3 pair of x102's and I like them, but I don't like the battery since you have to order them. So if you get low and don't realize it you may be out of service while you wait on new ones to ship. And the batteries are kindof expensive too. On top of the fact that the x102's themselves are quite expensive...

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp /forum/post/19628874

I have 3 pair of x102's and I like them, but I don't like the battery since you have to order them. So if you get low and don't realize it you may be out of service while you wait on new ones to ship. And the batteries are kindof expensive too. On top of the fact that the x102's themselves are quite expensive...

I didn't know that ... but i have been reading of people having sync loss on the V2's but V1's are fine

thanks for your info "defiancecp" much appreciated

maybe i'll check these $60 glasses out or have you tried the Optoma's BG-ZD101's? The same glasses that come with the 3D-XL

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark /forum/post/0

...have you tried the Optoma's BG-ZD101's? The same glasses that come with the 3D-XL

I have two pairof them currently although I haven't had a chance to test them out I can at least say they're comfortable enough but way oversized for my 3yrld.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts