AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going with a Stewart Firehawk - Ambient light issues.

My debate is 16x9 or 4x3 - I read the Optoma does not do well with 4x3 on a 16x9 screen.

Is that the same with the NEC?

Ideally I want a 16x9 92H Firehawk but may go with a 100V so I can watch both formats on one screen.

Any suggestions? Perhaps a projector around 5K MSRP that can handle both?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I haven't seen a US release date, but the Mistubishi LVP-1208 is 1024x576 and might be one for you to consider. It was released in Japan maybe a month ago at a price point lower than the HT1000 or H56. Reports are that it has a 5x wheel, but just 550 lumens. That would compare to 750 lumens for the 16x9 portion of the HT1000 and H56, but there is at least one other case of lower lumens ratings in Japan than in the US, even for the same projector. It would seem like they should release the 1208 in the US at some point here.

I think the 4x3 issue with the H56 that you are referring to might be a discussion that some of us had about 4x3 on a 16x9 screen with an anamorphic lens.

Maybe some Optoma owners or people familiar with it can comment on whether it has a 16x9 mode that would put 4x3 in the center of that, when no using an anamorphic lens.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Just curious, why would you go with a 16:9 screen if you are buying a 4:3 projector? Are you planning on zooming to make the 4:3 image fit the 16:9 screen? Have you considered a 4:3 screen and masking?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked into masking - too much for me though. Will a 16x9 projector and 16x9 screen display regular 4x3 images with little distortion.

I have a 34W Panasonic HDTV CRT and the people are fatter in widescreen mode...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You can always build your own masking system rather than shelling out the $5K Stewart, et al. expect you to pay for a couple of pieces of fabric and a few $20 electric motors.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
Just curious, why would you go with a 16:9 screen if you are buying a 4:3 projector?
Most people want to maximize screen width for widescreen sources because that's what they care about the most. So let's say you go 96" wide. A 4:3 screen would have to be 72" tall. With the NEC, you'd have to put the screen on the floor to account for the offset. Other projectors aren't so bad but you still have little room to raise the screen above the coffee table, fit a center channel speaker, etc.

Other reasons are a 16:9 screen is a more cinematic experience if you don't want to fuss with masking. Most 4:3 sources are lower quality and look better if they aren't blown up too large.

Those are the reasons I did it. Certainly some people have different priorties and constraints so they choose 4:3 screens.

-Dylan

·
Registered
216 Posts
Both the NEC and Optoma H56 put 4:3 in the middle of a 16:9 screen. There are no problems. I've used the Optoma this way and plan on using the HT1000 this way when it arrives this week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tim,

Do you have grey bars on the sides when using 4x3?

I think I'm going with the Firehawk - 100D.

That will allow me to run 4x3 and 16x9 with no size limitations.

Don

·
Registered
216 Posts
It depends what you call "grey". The bars are as black as the 12 degree mirrors can achieve in their off position.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read on projector central that one of their main complaints with 4x3 on a 16x9 screen is the grey bars you get to the left and right of the image.

Of course I don't know if this is the case with the Optoma or the NEC. I also don't know if it is as noticeable with the Firehawk.

Tim,

What size screen do you have and why are you going with the NEC if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Currently I have a small screen (60" wide). We sit fairly close to the screen so I wanted to be no closer than 2 times screen width. With the new, better performing projector, I will go to a larger screen - probably 72" wide.

I chose the NEC HT1000 over the Optoma H56 mainly because of the throw distance. The short throw of the NEC works better in this room. I also experienced some problems with the Optoma like a faulty deinterlacer and problems working with my HD decoder. Since my existing NEC LT150 works fine with my decoder, I thought I would have better success with the HT1000. The Optoma had a very good sharp picture though, so I hope the NEC can compete with that.

One other advantage of the NEC is that fact that it is popular on this forum which will allow me to exchange information with many other users.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya,

I've read that the H56 some problems. I might look into the HT1000, originally I was going to go with that but the price was 5K more and Projector Central said the 2 projectors are pretty close statistically speaking.

I have to find out if the NEC has a ceiling mount that drops the projector a foot since I have a beam to clear in my media room.

Good Info Tim - I appreciate it.

I'm thinking of going with a 16x9 92D Screen, still a toss up with the 100D 4x3.

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.