AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I recently (June 2020) purchased the Optoma Cinemax P1 based on good reviews.

However, in my settings I have a couple of issues and would like to see if you could help me. I opened a ticket with Optoma support but no answer for more than a week now...

I'm fairly technical and I setup my Home Theater myself.

Im on the latest FW version available online US.

Here is my setup:
  • Apple TV 4 k
  • HDMI 2.0 certified cable (the one from Optoma) to my AVR
  • AVR - Denon AVR-X4700H (2020) model came out in June this year!
  • 25 FT HDMI 2.0 Certified cable - not an active one, but certified.
  • Optoma Cinemax P1 - connected to HDMI 1

Main problem is what looks like a "negotiation" issues. The P1 is fast to show in the HDMI 1 icon (top left) that it's a 2160p @60Hz HDR source but it can take a very very long time to cycle through "snow effect" picture, "connect something" picture, go back to "snow effect", and finally display the Apple TV picture. If I switch sources could be also a similar issue but really unpredictable in performance.

I've asked support from DENON support *very responsive and fast* and they recommended an EDID emulator (I was not convinced) but I tried 2 models (not the most expansive) and nothing better, actually worst (downgrade to 1080p)... So wanted to have your inputs...

Question 1 - should I set my Apple TV 4K to a more suitable Video output format to the P1? Which one is recommended?

Question 2 - the Denon AVR 4700 is not just pass through and do some video manipulation on 4K/8K sources/outputs. Any recommendation here. I tried pass through but didn't see any improvements.

Question 3 - could it be the long HDMI cable? I did rule it out with testing the same setup with my LG 4K TV and no issue... I was thinking to do more test.

Question 4 - when it finally Locked on HDMI Apple TV (2160p @ 60Hz 4.2.2. HDR) I can watch movies and some times during the movies we go again though a "negotiation" cycle (or what looks like one...) - what can it be and what settings to use?

Question 5 - there is nothing in the manual about the HDMI EQ feature (Auto or +/- 11 values). Does it matter?

Question 6 - would you recommend a 25 FT or 30FT Active HDMI cable brand? I got CAT 6 running and could also setup a optical fiber is we need to. Any recommendations?

Second Problem - HDMI CEC - not clear. My Apple TV remote control ON/OFF the Denon AVR when I switch on or put to sleep but looks like nothing is being sent to the P1 and the P1 doesn't react. I will try my old Panasonic P8000 1080p to see if the CEC goes through the AVR.

Thanks in advance.

Guillaume aka G.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The long HDMI cable is always the first suspect. Just because it works with the TV is irrelevant as projectors for some reason tend to be pickier. Trouble shoot by eliminating one component at a time in the HDMI chain. Find a cable someone else has had good luck with using your projector/AVR combo. For 25'+ you need an active cable at least or preferably OPT.

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guillaume—I am having the exact same problem with the exact same setup. Did you find a solution?

Hi there,

I recently (June 2020) purchased the Optoma Cinemax P1 based on good reviews.

However, in my settings I have a couple of issues and would like to see if you could help me. I opened a ticket with Optoma support but no answer for more than a week now...

I'm fairly technical and I setup my Home Theater myself.

Im on the latest FW version available online US.

Here is my setup:
  • Apple TV 4 k
  • HDMI 2.0 certified cable (the one from Optoma) to my AVR
  • AVR - Denon AVR-X4700H (2020) model came out in June this year!
  • 25 FT HDMI 2.0 Certified cable - not an active one, but certified.
  • Optoma Cinemax P1 - connected to HDMI 1
Main problem is what looks like a "negotiation" issues. The P1 is fast to show in the HDMI 1 icon (top left) that it's a 2160p @60Hz HDR source but it can take a very very long time to cycle through "snow effect" picture, "connect something" picture, go back to "snow effect", and finally display the Apple TV picture. If I switch sources could be also a similar issue but really unpredictable in performance.

I've asked support from DENON support very responsive and fast and they recommended an EDID emulator (I was not convinced) but I tried 2 models (not the most expansive) and nothing better, actually worst (downgrade to 1080p)... So wanted to have your inputs...

Question 1 - should I set my Apple TV 4K to a more suitable Video output format to the P1? Which one is recommended?

Question 2 - the Denon AVR 4700 is not just pass through and do some video manipulation on 4K/8K sources/outputs. Any recommendation here. I tried pass through but didn't see any improvements.

Question 3 - could it be the long HDMI cable? I did rule it out with testing the same setup with my LG 4K TV and no issue... I was thinking to do more test.

Question 4 - when it finally Locked on HDMI Apple TV (2160p @ 60Hz 4.2.2. HDR) I can watch movies and some times during the movies we go again though a "negotiation" cycle (or what looks like one...) - what can it be and what settings to use?

Question 5 - there is nothing in the manual about the HDMI EQ feature (Auto or +/- 11 values). Does it matter?

Question 6 - would you recommend a 25 FT or 30FT Active HDMI cable brand? I got CAT 6 running and could also setup a optical fiber is we need to. Any recommendations?

Second Problem - HDMI CEC - not clear. My Apple TV remote control ON/OFF the Denon AVR when I switch on or put to sleep but looks like nothing is being sent to the P1 and the P1 doesn't react. I will try my old Panasonic P8000 1080p to see if the CEC goes through the AVR.

Thanks in advance.

Guillaume aka G.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Same setup but with Denon 3700 any solutions found? I am using a 6’ HDMI 8k spec cable from Denon to Optoma. Seems to work better but not like should in HDMI 2 instead of ARC port.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem here, but my setup includes a Nvidia Shield Pro, Denon AVR-X6700H, and Optoma Cinemax P1. Has anyone tried using an HDMI audio extractor device like this one - Orei HDA-925? It splits the video into one cable that goes directly into the projector and the audio into another cable that goes directly into the AVR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same problem here, but my setup includes a Nvidia Shield Pro, Denon AVR-X6700H, and Optoma Cinemax P1. Has anyone tried using an HDMI audio extractor device like this one - Orei HDA-925? It splits the video into one cable that goes directly into the projector and the audio into another cable that goes directly into the AVR.
Hi @hacman17 - I have not try that strategy but I think it's a great idea. I tried this new cable and it does improve somehow the time to "negotiate" but I'm still not completely satisfied. Now that I know others like you, @th8ter and @Electricityguy have the same problem, I will do more tests and report back here on my findings. Maybe the 4 of us can find a solution to this problem, or document enough to make sure Denon and Optoma look at it seriously.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same setup but with Denon 3700 any solutions found? I am using a 6’ HDMI 8k spec cable from Denon to Optoma. Seems to work better but not like should in HDMI 2 instead of ARC port.
Hi @th8ter - I tried this new cable and it's a direct connection now from the Optoma HDMI 2 port to the Denon AVR Monitor 2 port. I did that to eliminate any ARC/eARC interferences at this point. Now, by doing so I lost the HDMI controls (ON/OFF of the Optoma from Apple TV/Denon AVR). I don't know which HDMI port is responsible for that yet (Denon AVR or Optoma). I will do some permutation to check. There is a slight improvement I believe but again not as good as I expect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guillaume—I am having the exact same problem with the exact same setup. Did you find a solution?
Hi @Electricityguy - I'm now using this new cable and getting some level of improvements. But I'm not satisfied yet. Looking to partner with you and the rest of the people on this thread to find a solution. I did some interesting test, like using Optoma HDMI Port 2 and Denon AVR Monitor 2 to remove the ARC/eARC piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi @hacman17 - I have not try that strategy but I think it's a great idea. I tried this new cable and it does improve somehow the time to "negotiate" but I'm still not completely satisfied. Now that I know others like you, @th8ter and @Electricityguy have the same problem, I will do more tests and report back here on my findings. Maybe the 4 of us can find a solution to this problem, or document enough to make sure Denon and Optoma look at it seriously.
Hi @Electricityguy - I'm now using this new cable and getting some level of improvements. But I'm not satisfied yet. Looking to partner with you and the rest of the people on this thread to find a solution. I did some interesting test, like using Optoma HDMI Port 2 and Denon AVR Monitor 2 to remove the ARC/eARC piece.
I've replaced all of my HDMI cables with 3 ft 8K 48Gbps cables and still no difference on Denon monitor 1 or 2 ports. Video works correctly on Denon monitor zone 2 out, but it limits the audio formats since I have to run Main zone and zone 2 simultaneously. I received and installed the Orei HDA-925 HDMI splitter audio extractor and it works great. Just needed to adjust the audio delay to sync it with the video. It passes all audio formats to my Denon and all video resolutions, refresh rates, and even HDR to my Optoma.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've replaced all of my HDMI cables with 3 ft 8K 48Gbps cables and still no difference on Denon monitor 1 or 2 ports. Video works correctly on Denon monitor zone 2 out, but it limits the audio formats since I have to run Main zone and zone 2 simultaneously. I received and installed the Orei HDA-925 HDMI splitter audio extractor and it works great. Just needed to adjust the audio delay to sync it with the video. It passes all audio formats to my Denon and all video resolutions, refresh rates, and even HDR to my Optoma.
Which brand of cable (model) are you using? I will try the Monitor Zone 2 out to see what happens.
Re: the Orei HDA-925, does it support also Dolby Atmos? Where do you adjust the delay, on the Denon?
What do you suspect to be the culprit in this issue, Denon or Optoma? I tried plugin my LG 4K TV, instead of the Optoma and there was no issue. It appears to me it could be the Optoma but not easy to prove, and not sure they will fix it soon...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which resolution are you using on the Nvidia Shield Pro to send to the Optoma?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which resolution are you using on the Nvidia Shield Pro to send to the Optoma?
Not sure if problem is with Optoma or Denon or both. My cables: Zeskit. I don't think the cables are the issue unless you have a very long run. Orei is working with my old cables also. Watching 4K HDR movie in Dolby Atmos right now through the Orei. It just passes through whatever audio I send from my Shield TV to Denon. I adjusted the audio delay in the Nvidia Shield TV settings, not in the Denon. However, in the Denon you can also adjust through Setup > Audio > Audio Delay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with a cinemax pro and Marantz sr8015. I've tried short Zeskit cables and different combinations of ports, all to no avail. Did splitting the audio and video signals solve the problem or just shorten the time to complete the handshake?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem with a cinemax pro and Marantz sr8015. I've tried short Zeskit cables and different combinations of ports, all to no avail. Did splitting the audio and video signals solve the problem or just shorten the time to complete the handshake?
It solved the problem for me. However, the splitter does glitch every once in a while when turning on the projector. Cycling the power on the splitter fixes the glitches every time for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchase the Optoma Cinemax P2 and having same issue. Pioneer receiver HDMI ARC output going to Optoma HDMI 1. on powerup seems to trying to sync and keeps flashing. Gave up and connected Chromecast directly to Optoma P2 HDMI1 and use optical audio between Optoma and receiver for sound system. Never had issue with previous Epson projector and I had 20 ft cable to that guy. This sure seems to be an Optoma issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it's safe to say now that the issue is with the Optoma Cinemax projectors since the issue is occurring with multiple receiver brands and replacing HDMI cables didn't fix things either. I submitted a technical support ticket to Optoma. I recommend everyone else do the same to increase the visibility and priority of this issue to Optoma Support so they can fix it.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Just purchase the Optoma Cinemax P2 and having same issue. Pioneer receiver HDMI ARC output going to Optoma HDMI 1. on powerup seems to trying to sync and keeps flashing. Gave up and connected Chromecast directly to Optoma P2 HDMI1 and use optical audio between Optoma and receiver for sound system. Never had issue with previous Epson projector and I had 20 ft cable to that guy. This sure seems to be an Optoma issue.
Older 20ft cables, not guaranteed and tested for 18gbps bandwidth are always suspect when trying to pass a 4K 18gbps signal. HDMI ARC is for passing audio only signals.

4K HDR data rates (18gbps) are much higher than older 1080P HD signals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I upgraded my Pioneer VSX-530 with a new Sony receiver and this issue is resolved. There must be some issue with older receivers and HDMI implementation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same issue with an Optoma CinemaX P2 and AVR-X3700H. The HDCP handshake is taking upwards of 2 minutes to solidify. I've tried Audio Quest Ocean, Pearl and Monster HDMI700HD4M Fiber Optic HDMI Cables. The Monster cable is the only one that will even allow for the handshake to complete. All cables are 15' or less. Is there any official word on a fix as of yet?

Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts