AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

I recently (June 2020) purchased the Optoma Cinemax P1 based on good reviews.

However, in my settings I have a couple of issues and would like to see if you could help me. I opened a ticket with Optoma support but no answer for more than a week now...

I'm fairly technical and I setup my Home Theater myself.

Im on the latest FW version available online US.

Here is my setup:
  • Apple TV 4 k
  • HDMI 2.0 certified cable (the one from Optoma) to my AVR
  • AVR - Denon AVR-X4700H (2020) model came out in June this year!
  • 25 FT HDMI 2.0 Certified cable - not an active one, but certified.
  • Optoma Cinemax P1 - connected to HDMI 1

Main problem is what looks like a "negotiation" issues. The P1 is fast to show in the HDMI 1 icon (top left) that it's a 2160p @60Hz HDR source but it can take a very very long time to cycle through "snow effect" picture, "connect something" picture, go back to "snow effect", and finally display the Apple TV picture. If I switch sources could be also a similar issue but really unpredictable in performance.

I've asked support from DENON support very responsive and fast and they recommended an EDID emulator (I was not convinced) but I tried 2 models (not the most expansive) and nothing better, actually worst (downgrade to 1080p)... So wanted to have your inputs...

Question 1 - should I set my Apple TV 4K to a more suitable Video output format to the P1? Which one is recommended?

Question 2 - the Denon AVR 4700 is not just pass through and do some video manipulation on 4K/8K sources/outputs. Any recommendation here. I tried pass through but didn't see any improvements.

Question 3 - could it be the long HDMI cable? I did rule it out with testing the same setup with my LG 4K TV and no issue... I was thinking to do more test.

Question 4 - when it finally Locked on HDMI Apple TV (2160p @ 60Hz 4.2.2. HDR) I can watch movies and some times during the movies we go again though a "negotiation" cycle (or what looks like one...) - what can it be and what settings to use?

Question 5 - there is nothing in the manual about the HDMI EQ feature (Auto or +/- 11 values). Does it matter?

Question 6 - would you recommend a 25 FT or 30FT Active HDMI cable brand? I got CAT 6 running and could also setup a optical fiber is we need to. Any recommendations?

Second Problem - HDMI CEC - not clear. My Apple TV remote control ON/OFF the Denon AVR when I switch on or put to sleep but looks like nothing is being sent to the P1 and the P1 doesn't react. I will try my old Panasonic P8000 1080p to see if the CEC goes through the AVR.

Thanks in advance.

Guillaume aka G.
Hi Guillaume,
I have the exact problem:
Optoma CinemaX P2
Yamaha RX-V6A (2020 model)
3ft HDMI cable (audioquest vodka) on port 1

when I connect apple tv or 4k bluray player directly to projector, no issue at all, seems like HDMI communication issue between p2 and receiver.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Optoma Cinemax P2 and a 2020 Yamaha RX-V6A as well and have the same issue. When inputs are connected directly to the projector there are no issues at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All, I have the same issue too:

Denon AVC-X4700H
Optoma UHZ65UST

I too have tried a multitude of cables to no avail.

Whilst I have no proof, my hunch is that the issue is either an HDR10 or an HDCP 2.3 issue causing the poor handshaking, nearly all peeps on this thread have a 2.3 HDCP AVR/AVC, those using older HDCP 2.2 devices don't seem to have the issue as much. My reasoning is that I have noticed, Amazon, Disney+, Microsoft Films & TV occasionally moan about the HDCP after a failed handshake. If I switch HDR10 off the issue is much better but still prevalent..

Those suffering seem to be using the same AVRs/AVCs that are affected by the infamous "no current fix" HDMI 2.1 4K/120 HZ bug that affects Denon, Yamaha & Marantz, I wonder if this is connected.

I spent an hour or so with Denon support trying to get the AVC to handshake with the Optoma, they gave up and told me to send it back, which I have not, as I'm unsure if it's not the Optoma or if any HDMI 2.1 fix would solve the issue.

For those that don't know, on the Denon you can switch into HDMI diagnostics mode by pressing for three seconds (depending on model):
ZONE2 SOURCE + TUNDER PRESET CH-
ZONE2 SOURCE + PURE REDIRECT
CUSROR UP + BACK

With the Optoma connected the on the video test I received error V2-02, “Miscommunication with Monitor at output terminal (4K60 output setting error).”
I then ran the cable test, and that gave “CABLE TEST FAILED”, with no other info.

Six cables all different and all great quality changed nothing.

If anyone solves this please do tell!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Hello All, I have the same issue too:

Denon AVC-X4700H
Optoma UHZ65UST

I too have tried a multitude of cables to no avail.

Whilst I have no proof, my hunch is that the issue is either an HDR10 or an HDCP 2.3 issue causing the poor handshaking, nearly all peeps on this thread have a 2.3 HDCP AVR/AVC, those using older HDCP 2.2 devices don't seem to have the issue as much. My reasoning is that I have noticed, Amazon, Disney+, Microsoft Films & TV occasionally moan about the HDCP after a failed handshake. If I switch HDR10 off the issue is much better but still prevalent..

Those suffering seem to be using the same AVRs/AVCs that are affected by the infamous "no current fix" HDMI 2.1 4K/120 HZ bug that affects Denon, Yamaha & Marantz, I wonder if this is connected.

I spent an hour or so with Denon support trying to get the AVC to handshake with the Optoma, they gave up and told me to send it back, which I have not, as I'm unsure if it's not the Optoma or if any HDMI 2.1 fix would solve the issue.

For those that don't know, on the Denon you can switch into HDMI diagnostics mode by pressing for three seconds (depending on model):
ZONE2 SOURCE + TUNDER PRESET CH-
ZONE2 SOURCE + PURE REDIRECT
CUSROR UP + BACK

With the Optoma connected the on the video test I received error V2-02, “Miscommunication with Monitor at output terminal (4K60 output setting error).”
I then ran the cable test, and that gave “CABLE TEST FAILED”, with no other info.

Six cables all different and all great quality changed nothing.

If anyone solves this please do tell!
I'd suggest using an HDMI switch with ARC/eARC output and using it to bypass the receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Denon customer support has suggested that it might be an EDID issue and that an EDID emulator may help to overcome the issue. They recommended trying either the Atlona UHD Sync or Key Digital HDFIX22. I ordered the Atlona EDID Emulator for 4K HDR HDMI Signals. Will repost upon arrival and install

·
Registered
16 Posts
I try to fix that same problem for weeks already...

Denon x3700H - handshake... That strange snowflakes...

Yamaha RX V6A - that same Problem...

I alredy tried HD Fury Dr. HDMI 4k without sucess. Maybe your solution will work. at leas I Hope so.

The next and last idea is HD Fury vertex for really nice price in consideration as something what should do projector on his own...

I won't buy any new projectors from Optoma
.... I am so dissapointed...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem!

Optoma CinemaX P2 with Denon AVC-X4700H. 1,5m HDMI 2.1 cable, no 4K source is working.

I also opened a case at Optoma. @dgbob @hacman17 Were you able to solve the problem together with the Optoma support? Maybe we should share our ticket IDs so that we can refer to it?

@Guillaume Le Mener Could you rename this thread to "Optoma CinemaX P1/P2 HDMI (handshake) issues - help appreciated!" 🙂

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are right about 2.1 HDMI. I think that is what causes us problems with optoma. Maybe we need to wait only for new firmware update?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I raised it with Optoma and they said below:

If the snowy & flickering picture only appears when you're connecting via the Denon / any Amp but not when you connect directly to the Projector, this would be an issue with the Amp rather than the Projector.

If the Projector has a fault then you will experience the issue running directly from source to the Projector, and as the issue only arises when the Amp is added to the middle of the setup then this would be where the issue is. You would need to contact the manufacturer of the Amp(s) to see if they are aware of why this might be happening.

So not really getting anywhere with either company.

I raised it with Denon and they don't know what's the cause is with Optoma, they've not experienced this with other manufactures.
So neither company can be bothered to actually investigate properly :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased an Optoma P1 in May of 2020. Like all of you here this device will not sync properly using an AVR and cable. I have tried three different receivers (Denon AVR-X3600H, Yamaha RX-V6A, and now a Denon AVR-S960h) and a multitude of cables at 25 feet with varying results. Active cables did not work. Full optic cables did not work. Again like all of you it will eventually sync after sometime 2-3 minutes and sometimes after turning it off and back on. With some cables including one optical it would never sync.

And I tried all of this same setup with a new Epson 5050 UB 4k and NOT ONE PROBLEM.

If you want this projector to sync like it should set the HDMI port EDID to 1.4 and this projector is then a FINE WORKING 1080P projector!

MAKE NO MISTAKE this is an OPTOMA problem. NEVER buying or recommending a product from them again.

Spoke to tech support and they suggested I send it in to them. Acting like they don't know what is going on and passing blame. So that is what is going to happen. Will see what they send back.

GOOD LUCK. P2 is apparently no better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Optoma Support responded to my ticket. They gave me some solutions, but nothing new. They wrote too, that it may be HDMI chip problem from AV Receiver. Maybe projector is incomatibile with HDMI from AV. Sadly Yamaha, marantz and Denon use that same HDMI interface producer..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sent the Optoma P2 back to the reseller. Because the bill was not older than 14 days I'll get the money back. Now I ordered another one from a reseller who is not a pure "online shop" and ask them to test this Optoma P2 with a Denon AVC-X4700H before they send it to me. I'm curious what they will tell me..

Lately I spoke to an employee of HEIMKINORAUM (german home cinema outfitter) who said that he is 99% sure that the cables are causing the problem. He said also that I have to use active HDMI fiber optic cables, so I bought two of these: MOSHOU - HDMI 2.1 Glasfaser Kabel 2m – 8k 120Hz HDR 10+- 3D - eARC - 48 Gbit/s – HDCP 2.2 -Dolby Vision - Optisches Kabel High Speed - vergoldete Kontakte – Aluminiumstecker – Knickschutz: Amazon.de: Gewerbe, Industrie & Wissenschaft ..they don't work. The picture comes a little bit earlier.. maybe after 25 secs instead of 90. But not everytime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried an active fiber optic cable from Bifale with a P1 and both the new Denon and Yamaha receivers with the supposed bad HDMI chips. Does not work. I also tried with an OLDER Yamaha receiver I had picked up at Costco last year. And I tried the same whole setup with an Epson 4k projector. With the Epson all is fine. MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT--THIS IS AN OPTOMA PROBLEM. DO NOT BUY THESE PROJECTORS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried an active fiber optic cable from Bifale with a P1 and both the new Denon and Yamaha receivers with the supposed bad HDMI chips. Does not work. I also tried with an OLDER Yamaha receiver I had picked up at Costco last year. And I tried the same whole setup with an Epson 4k projector. With the Epson all is fine. MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT--THIS IS AN OPTOMA PROBLEM. DO NOT BUY THESE PROJECTORS.
Have you tested at least one non-HDMI-2.1 AVR without the buggy Panasonic chip together with the Optoma P1/2? If not, why are you so sure about Optoma is causing this problems? Only because the Epson works?

Has anyone looked in to it being the HDMI 2.1 chip in the AVR? Attached video talks about a buggy Panasonic chip being supplied.
I was not aware of this! :oops: I would say it's not too unlikely that this buggy chips could cause also problems like we all have. Especially because it seems that we all have this problem with 2020 HDMI 2.1 receivers. Maybe I can tell you if this is true.. because I asked HEIMKINORAUM to test the Optoma P2 with the Denon AVC-X4700H at their place. And if they are able to reproduce this problem, then I think they will test the Optoma with other HDMI 2.1 receivers, too. Then we will know if there's a general problem with the Optoma P2 and those new 2020 receivers with the buggy panasonic chip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: I was able to borrow a Yamaha TSR 7850 and a BenQ HT3550, working combination, and test my Yamaha RX V6A and Optoma Cinemax P2. In doing so I found that the RX V6A worked with the BenQ 3550 and the TSR 7850 worked with the Optoma P2. It was only when the RX V6A and the Optoma P2 were put together that there was an issue of grabbing the input and flashing static or recognizing any input.
Since then I have gotten a Marantz SR5014 (2019 Model) and everything is working great, only a couple days running it. Whether it is the 2020 model AVR that is the issue or if it is that the Optoma P2 is not fully compatible with the 2020 model AVRs or not I am not sure since the RX V6A worked with the BenQ 3550. Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
That confirms my assumption. HEIMKINORAUM said that they were not able to reproduce the problem together with a Denon AVC-X4700H, but I don't believe they actually tested it. They just sent me the Optoma P2 and I tested the new one with my X4700H: the same problem.

Now I ordered a Yamaha RX-A2080, because it's a 9.2 Channel AVR without HDMI 2.1. I'll test it with the Optoma and report.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whether it is the 2020 model AVR that is the issue or if it is that the Optoma P2 is not fully compatible with the 2020 model AVRs or not I am not sure since the RX V6A worked with the BenQ 3550. Hope this helps
You made a good test there. So it leads us to one conclusion atm. HDMI 2.1 seems to be somehow problem for optoma, even when we only need HDMI 2.0 to work perfectly...

I hope that optoma will make new software update to fix it.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts