AVS Forum banner

Do you prefer the white or black housing for the Optoma CinemaX P1/P2?

181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
The bottom of the screen is 40.5” from the floor. The top of the shelf the projector is setting on is 22.25” from the floor. He back of the projector to the wall is 16”, front of projector is 30.75”.

yes it’s a 120” screen.
Thanks, I have been trying to find this information. I really wanted to try this unit, but the vava can be placed on a higher stand and closer to the wall. 30" from the wall is a lot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just installed the P2 and a Grandview Dynamique 110" ALR UST screen. I ordered the Vava first, but I cancelled my order after doing more extensive research comparing it to the Optoma. The Vava does throw a tighter image to the wall, but the projector seemed limited by the software.

My one question is how to get rid of the splash screen every time you turn the projector on. I can't find a setting to turn it off. Also, the red blinking light when the projector is supposed to be off is annoying. Any ideas?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Projector Central review is up:

Reactions: shanedowley

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just installed the P2 and a Grandview Dynamique 110" ALR UST screen. I ordered the Vava first, but I cancelled my order after doing more extensive research comparing it to the Optoma. The Vava does throw a tighter image to the wall, but the projector seemed limited by the software.

My one question is how to get rid of the splash screen every time you turn the projector on. I can't find a setting to turn it off. Also, the red blinking light when the projector is supposed to be off is annoying. Any ideas?
What made you select that screen over the AEON CLR?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
What made you select that screen over the AEON CLR?
I can't speak for @PillPu$her but the Grandview will provide a sharper image over the Elite (Grandview can replicate a 4k pixel grid without distortion; we have not been able to recreate on Elite's CLR) as well as rejects more ambient light. It is more expensive than the Elite CLR but much less than Elite's "Legit" 4K UST ALR, the DarkStar UST.
The Elite CLR is still a good bang for your buck and produces a good image.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@ProjectionHead I bought the grandview dynamique based on your recommendation. My question do you think that in living room with ambient light the P2 will be better over the P1 with my screen ? And furthermore did you had the chance to test this screen with the Xiaomi 1s 4k in an ambient light room ?

Thank you

·
Registered
425 Posts
I can't speak for @PillPu$her but the Grandview will provide a sharper image over the Elite (Grandview can replicate a 4k pixel grid without distortion; we have not been able to recreate on Elite's CLR) as well as rejects more ambient light. It is more expensive than the Elite CLR but much less than Elite's "Legit" 4K UST ALR, the DarkStar UST.
The Elite CLR is still a good bang for your buck and produces a good image.
Why so many negatively criticize the Grandview Dynamique screen for being 0.4 gain? I heard that unless you use your projector in a totally light-controlled bat cave 0.4 gain will wipe away a lot of details in dark areas of the image

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
The Grandview used to be listed at 0.6 gain, then the spec changed to 0.4. I honestly cannot see any difference in brightness between the two versions. I believe they may be understating the gain with the current spec and have asked them for some insight to share.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The Grandview used to be listed at 0.6 gain, then the spec changed to 0.4. I honestly cannot see any difference in brightness between the two versions. I believe they may be understating the gain with the current spec and have asked them for some insight to share.
I honestly don't even see a difference in brighthess between 1.1 gain and 0.4 gain

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
@ProjectionHead I bought the grandview dynamique based on your recommendation. My question do you think that in living room with ambient light the P2 will be better over the P1 with my screen ? And furthermore did you had the chance to test this screen with the Xiaomi 1s 4k in an ambient light room ?

Thank you
I have never seen the Xiaomi in person. I do think you will prefer the P2 to the P1 as it has higher contrast and better color. The only "advantage" the P1 has over the P2 is the black case color vs white, if that is something that matters to you.
Congrats on the new screen!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I setup my P2 with the Elite Aeon CLR 120 and the image looks bright and colorful, however when watching a 3D movie, the colors are extremely washed out. They aren't just darker, like I expected, but colors are completely washed out. The 3D effect is working fine, just the colors of the movie. I've tried watching them with two different Blu-ray players and multiple discs with the same result, so I'm thinking it's the projector. Have I missed something in the projector configuration or maybe a 3D setting? I've seen posts here praising the 3D with the P2, so either I'm missing something or there's an issue with the projector.... Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I setup my P2 with the Elite Aeon CLR 120 and the image looks bright and colorful, however when watching a 3D movie, the colors are extremely washed out. They aren't just darker, like I expected, but colors are completely washed out. The 3D effect is working fine, just the colors of the movie. I've tried watching them with two different Blu-ray players and multiple discs with the same result, so I'm thinking it's the projector. Have I missed something in the projector configuration or maybe a 3D setting? I've seen posts here praising the 3D with the P2, so either I'm missing something or there's an issue with the projector.... Thanks!
Check the picture settings when switching to 3D mode

·
Registered
670 Posts
real quick: what are the key differences between the P1 and P2 ? also, has anyone used either p1orp2 to go larger than 120 inches? like would it go up to 135 or so and still be fine? could it go up to 150 in a dark room? thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone been experiencing a noticeable line/difference between the left and right half of the image? Switching on/off game mode or power cycling the projector solves the issue but it is rather annoying and an additional 30 seconds to the power on/startup time occasionally. I noticed this a week or two into using the projector daily and it seems to be happening more frequently. Primary input is an Xbox One X through a Denon receiver, brand new HDMI 1.4 cables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. I have. And it’s a known issue with the P1 also. Surprised Optoma hasn’t issued a firmware update to correct it. I find toggling between SDR-HDR and other display presets gets ride of it. But it’s annoying.
Also I’ve noticed that the device can ‘hold on ‘ to image display presets when I change between them. For example I’ve calibrated Reference for dark SDR viewing and Cinema for daytime SDR viewing. The P2 sometimes holds on to the setting of one whilst saying it’s on the other. Same thing can happen between HDR material and switching back to SDR, the P2 holds on to HDR settings even though it’s showing in the menus that it’s in SDR Reference or Cinema. A reboot of the device sorts it. But it’s dead annoying.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes. I have. And it’s a known issue with the P1 also. Surprised Optoma hasn’t issued a firmware update to correct it. I find toggling between SDR-HDR and other display presets gets ride of it. But it’s annoying.
Also I’ve noticed that the device can ‘hold on ‘ to image display presets when I change between them. For example I’ve calibrated Reference for dark SDR viewing and Cinema for daytime SDR viewing. The P2 sometimes holds on to the setting of one whilst saying it’s on the other. Same thing can happen between HDR material and switching back to SDR, the P2 holds on to HDR settings even though it’s showing in the menus that it’s in SDR Reference or Cinema. A reboot of the device sorts it. But it’s dead annoying.
Yep I noticed the same with C07. It's got a lot of the same bugs from the P1, but at least Dynamic Black works.

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out Shane, hope Optoma fixes those problems.

181 - 200 of 201 Posts