AVS Forum banner

Do you prefer the white or black housing for the Optoma CinemaX P1/P2?

201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I currently have the Dell S718QL projector. I'm looking into the P2 as an upgrade. The Dell projector was never able to handle dark scenes well. I had a hard time watching movies on it. I have it paired with a ALR screen as well with only one window which is normally closed. Ambient light isn't much of an issue. I'm just wondering if anyone can give any insight to this projector who might've done a similar upgrade path. I tried looking at the specs, but I don't understand most of it. Thank you!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally I was looking at the Sony 295ES but now this Optoma P2 is a real contender, but:
  • Does Optoma P2 have something similar to Sony's amazing "Reality Creation" feature?
  • Is 80% DCI-P3 on P2 really a lot worse than 100% DCI-P3 on Sony 295ES?
Looking forward to some feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just subjectively speaking, I’ve had two previous 3D capable projectors, the JVC DLA X500 and the Xiaomi Mi Laser. I find the Optoma P2 to be just as good at 3D. The glasses I used with the Xiaomi work with the Optoma.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It has 3D but it's not very good. I suspect the P1 was the same unless something drastic changed.

Was there a purple DLP Sync color on your P1? What color does your Vava use?
3D on P1 was way better than on Vava thanks to Brilliant Color which helped make 3D picture through glasses look vibrant and punchy. In all honesty 3D on P1 was my favorite feature and less of a headache than its 4K picture.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
3D on P1 was way better than on Vava thanks to Brilliant Color which helped make 3D picture through glasses look vibrant and punchy. In all honesty 3D on P1 was my favorite feature and less of a headache than its 4K picture.

Xiaomi/Fengmi/Appotronics have a setting called Dynamic Color which in theory should be DLP's Brilliant Color, but it actually works even better and is like a 3dlut--which is awesome! Since VAVA is based on Xiaomi/Fengmi/Appotronics I figured it would have the same.

So when I say 3D is not very good on P2 I was comparing it to my Fengmi which is brighter in 3D, better color, and higher resolution when fed an SBS signal upscaled to 4k via Madvr. P2 won't work with a signal like that..It's the same with the P1.

Anyway I found out VAVA has a green DLP link signal which should help it's overall brightness. I still haven't confirmed what color the P1 has.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Xiaomi/Fengmi/Appotronics have a setting called Dynamic Color which in theory should be DLP's Brilliant Color, but it actually works even better and is like a 3dlut--which is awesome! Since VAVA is based on Xiaomi/Fengmi/Appotronics I figured it would have the same.

So when I say 3D is not very good on P2 I was comparing it to my Fengmi which is brighter in 3D, better color, and higher resolution when fed an SBS signal upscaled to 4k via Madvr. P2 won't work with a signal like that..It's the same with the P1.

Anyway I found out VAVA has a green DLP link signal which should help it's overall brightness. I still haven't confirmed what color the P1 has.
I had a 1080p Xiaomi Mi UST projector and dynamic color was nothing as Brilliant Color on the P1. All dynamic color did on my Xiaomi was oversaturate blue and red, that's all.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had a 1080p Xiaomi Mi UST projector and dynamic color was nothing as Brilliant Color on the P1. All dynamic color did on my Xiaomi was oversaturate blue and red, that's all.

1080p Xiaomi doesn't have the same DLP chip as the P1/P2 or any of the 4k projectors.

My understanding is that Brilliant Color is used to restore color accuracy when a color wheel with yellow or white is used. It basically makes the color look better and more accurate at higher lumens.

·
Registered
455 Posts
1080p Xiaomi doesn't have the same DLP chip as the P1/P2 or any of the 4k projectors.

My understanding is that Brilliant Color is used to restore color accuracy when a color wheel with yellow or white is used. It basically makes the color look better and more accurate at higher lumens.
Brilliant Color on P1? Yes.
Dynamic Color on Xiaomi Mi? Not even close

·
Registered
462 Posts
Brilliant Color on P1? Yes.
Dynamic Color on Xiaomi Mi? Not even close

Again you're talking about the old model..what's your point again?

I've compared the P2 and the color is better in Rec709/SDR with the Fengmi

In addition I compared a 3Dlut in Madvr with Dynamic Color and Dynamic Color did the same thing as the 3Dlut but better.

I get that you love Brillant Color, but you're comparing it to what you've seen on a projector that is 2 years older than the one I'm comparing it to.

I'll post pics showing just how much better 3D is with the Fengmi than the P2 so you can see what you're missing.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I thought Xiaomi and Fengmi were the same. I just know that I miss 3D on P1 and I never missed 3D on Xiaomi or even my peevious Sony standard projector

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also the VAVA is on-sale for $1999 on amazon right now. is the P2 $1200 better or is the CinemaX Pro the better buy at $3700 right now?

·
Registered
462 Posts
The short answer is no to both. Go with the Vava at that price if you're looking for bang for the buck. Of course the Xiaomi 1s or Fengmi Pro is better and cheaper.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The Vava is based on the 2019 Xiaomi Mijia and Fengmi's. Initially VAVA didn't have 3D or HDR, but now it does so likely the only major differences are the $1000+up charge and the Xiaomi and Fengmi are smaller. The 2019 versions and the 2020 1s can also be rooted to lower their input lag to as low as 32ms and include additional picture profiles that switch automatically depending on the content (HDR, SDR, etc...) and input.

The other differences are the calibrated lumens and contrast are bested by those 2019 versions. On the 2020 versions the difference is even greater. In fact the the 2020 versions have the best Native contrast of any DLP .47 or .66 projector to date at ~3500:1 versus a meager ~1000:1 on the P2 and 2500:1 on the VAVA (no slouch) and 2019 versions.

And this is just for you @USTGuy You know how you weren't able to get the P1's blacks as dark as the VAVA's---it's the Native Contrast ratio that helped the VAVA then and with the 2020 Xiaomi and Feingmi (1s and Pro) it's even better But don't just take my word for it.....

Xiaom 1s

VAVA

Optoma P2

As you can see the VAVA and P2 both advertise well north of 2000+ lumens, but not a lot of point to that if they shed the lumens when calibrated. The Xiaomi/Fengmi/Appotronics projectors hold their water when calibrated and have much better contrast!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
The Vava is based on the 2019 Xiaomi Mijia and Fengmi's. Initially VAVA didn't have 3D or HDR, but now it does so likely the only major differences are the $1000+up charge and the Xiaomi and Fengmi are smaller. The 2019 versions and the 2020 1s can also be rooted to lower their input lag to as low as 32ms and include additional picture profiles that switch automatically depending on the content (HDR, SDR, etc...) and input.

The other differences are the calibrated lumens and contrast are bested by those 2019 versions. On the 2020 versions the difference is even greater. In fact the the 2020 versions have the best Native contrast of any DLP .47 or .66 projector to date at ~3500:1 versus a meager ~1000:1 on the P2 and 2500:1 on the VAVA (no slouch) and 2019 versions.

And this is just for you @USTGuy You know how you weren't able to get the P1's blacks as dark as the VAVA's---it's the Native Contrast ratio that helped the VAVA then and with the 2020 Xiaomi and Feingmi (1s and Pro) it's even better But don't just take my word for it.....

View attachment 3052895

Xiaom 1s

View attachment 3052902

VAVA

View attachment 3052904

Optoma P2
View attachment 3052905

As you can see the VAVA and P2 both advertise well north of 2000+ lumens, but not a lot of point to that if they shed the lumens when calibrated. The Xiaomi/Fengmi/Appotronics projectors hold their water when calibrated and have much better contrast!!!
I guess I was left with a bad taste in my mouth when I owned the Xiaomi Mi 1080p with 4K compatibility. Regardless, I made my choice going with Vava and I don't find myself messing with the pictute settings as much as I did with either Xiaomi or Optoma P1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I returned a Vava projector last year after I found out I couldn’t get it to work with a universal remote.

Anyone know if that part has been fixed? Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

201 - 220 of 251 Posts