AVS Forum banner

Do you prefer the white or black housing for the Optoma CinemaX P1/P2?

341 - 360 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey thanks for the info, would you mind positing a picture of your geometric correction screen? With the green grid? That is where we can really see the distortion. I'm wondering if ours is worse than normal. It's blurry to the point it ruins the picture in the area.

Here you go, not sure how well it shows in the pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey thanks for the info, would you mind positing a picture of your geometric correction screen? With the green grid? That is where we can really see the distortion. I'm wondering if ours is worse than normal. It's blurry to the point it ruins the picture in the area.
The only thing I can say on this topic as that I have not noticed this at all in my viewing so far. I will look at the corners in the next movie I watch today and see if I notice any loss of focus in the corners at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only thing I can say on this topic as that I have not noticed this at all in my viewing so far. I will look at the corners in the next movie I watch today and see if I notice any loss of focus in the corners at all.
Try using the green grid. It's usually not noticeable when viewing a movie.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't even do any focus adjustment as the main menu screen, and all the movies so far, looks sharp out of the box. I'm afraid I may make things worse by trying to change the focus.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With the grid, I see a slight loss of focus on the top right corner. I tried to adjust the focus by clicking to the right X number of items, but I didn't see any changes and to not make things worse, I just clicked on the left on the remote X number of times to set things back. I don't see any indication that focus is even changing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I received the prompt for installing firmware C07. It did explain the light patterns and that the device would remain unresponsive for 30 minutes, however I couldn't see any explanation regarding what it actually does.

Would anyone know what the firmware is supposed to fix/improve?

What I did notice is that the update ruined my geometry and focus. Did anyone else have this? Basically the image is now slightly lower and more towards the right than what it was, and I lost a lot of focus on the upper right corner. Also the two lower corners (left and right) are now bending towards the inside, and I can't fix it using the geometrical correction.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I received the prompt for installing firmware C07. It did explain the light patterns and that the device would remain unresponsive for 30 minutes, however I couldn't see any explanation regarding what it actually does.

Would anyone know what the firmware is supposed to fix/improve?

What I did notice is that the update ruined my geometry and focus. Did anyone else have this? Basically the image is now slightly lower and more towards the right than what it was, and I lost a lot of focus on the upper right corner. Also the two lower corners (left and right) are now bending towards the inside, and I can't fix it using the geometrical correction.
Probably someone bumped the projector? Sounds like something an update cannot do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been searching around trying to see if anyone with a P2 has the same issue I am having with my unit which is the "coil whine/actuator buzzing" sound. I purchased my P2 brand new from amazon and since the very first boot up it makes the continuous buzzing noise which is audible even when content is playing. The only way I have managed to get it to stop is to turn on Game Mode which makes the image quality worse by dropping it to what seems like 1080p so it is not something I am willing to live with. Is this normal for these projectors? Curious if I should just try to get another unit or move to another UST projector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been searching around trying to see if anyone with a P2 has the same issue I am having with my unit which is the "coil whine/actuator buzzing" sound. I purchased my P2 brand new from amazon and since the very first boot up it makes the continuous buzzing noise which is audible even when content is playing. The only way I have managed to get it to stop is to turn on Game Mode which makes the image quality worse by dropping it to what seems like 1080p so it is not something I am willing to live with. Is this normal for these projectors? Curious if I should just try to get another unit or move to another UST projector.
Not normal for the unit. Check the "Altitude setting." Make sure that's set to off. These units run incredibly quiet. Every once in awhile I'll boot up the device and the fan will go nuts, but a simple reboot removes the problem. If nothing else, I'd get a new unit as that isn't normal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Probably someone bumped the projector? Sounds like something an update cannot do.
That would have been my first guess but I left the unit updating over night and I was the first one up, so I'm pretty sure no one bumped the protector. I also checked the screen and it didn't move.

In any case I'm not sure it would explain why the two bottom corners were bent inwards.

Still curious as to what firmware C07 brings, though. I couldn't find any information on Optoma's website.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only way I have managed to get it to stop is to turn on Game Mode which makes the image quality worse by dropping it to what seems like 1080p so it is not something I am willing to live with.
I was about to post for the first time just for this issue, then I found out I wasn't the only one. I first noticed this when playing on my Nintendo Switch, picture seemed horrendous with Gaming Mode on. Then I found out that that's the way the mode is, regardless of the type of input, as it is even being shown like that even when projecting the test pattern.

I really hope they fix "Gaming" Mode in a near-future firmware update, cause the way the image is currenty being displayed is making me more dissapointed as well as frustrated with each passing day. Because in case this isn't fixable, under no circumstances should the word "gaming" be present in the projector's product page or being advertised as having such capabilities.

Off:

On:

Off:

On:

Off:

On:

Photos are taken close to the projection screen so issue can be undoubtedly seen, but believe me, even from a distance it's truly awful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was about to post for the first time just for this issue, then I found out I wasn't the only one. I first noticed this when playing on my Nintendo Switch, picture seemed horrendous with Gaming Mode on. Then I found out that that's the way the mode is, regardless of the type of input, as it is even being shown like that even when projecting the test pattern.

I really hope they fix "Gaming" Mode in a near-future firmware update, cause the way the image is currenty being displayed is making me more dissapointed as well as frustrated with each passing day. Because in case this isn't fixable, under no circumstances should the word "gaming" be present in the projector's product page or being advertised as having such capabilities.

Off:
View attachment 3074504

On:
View attachment 3074505

Off:
View attachment 3074506

On:
View attachment 3074507

Off:
View attachment 3074508

On:
View attachment 3074509

Photos are taken close to the projection screen so issue can be undoubtedly seen, but believe me, even from a distance it's truly awful.
My experience is exactly the same as yours, the image quality of gaming mode is atrocious even from 4m away (120" screen).

Coupled with the fact that it deactivates the geometrical correction, it makes it totally useless for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gaming Mode on P1 had way too high sharpening active, maybe its the same with P2?
Switch looked fine with sharpening of +3 - maybe +4 but everything else looked very ugly - like screenshots above.

Or to be more detailed. Default Gaming Mode picture settings in general were crap. Gamma wrong, color set to cool. etc, washed out colors.
With a bit of tuning everything was fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd be grateful if a P2 owner could provide me with the measurement from the edge of the lens recess to the back of the case as shown by the red arrow. I'm trying to design a furniture layout before I make any actual purchases, and Optoma told me they couldn't provide me with any dimensional/angle info for the beam. I'm trying to figure out how I can mount a center channel above the projector rather than having it sit under the projector at floor level so I'll have to find a speaker with suitable dimensions to not obstruct the beam. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd be grateful if a P2 owner could provide me with the measurement from the edge of the lens recess to the back of the case as shown by the red arrow. I'm trying to design a furniture layout before I make any actual purchases, and Optoma told me they couldn't provide me with any dimensional/angle info for the beam. I'm trying to figure out how I can mount a center channel above the projector rather than having it sit under the projector at floor level so I'll have to find a speaker with suitable dimensions to not obstruct the beam. Thanks!

View attachment 3075024
Heya, I just measured approximately 16cm.

I have my center channel above the P2, between the P2 and the wall, and it's not in the way of the image (120" screen though).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Heya, I just measured approximately 16cm.

I have my center channel above the P2, between the P2 and the wall, and it's not in the way of the image (120" screen though).
Thanks! I will also be doing a 120” screen. Which center channel are you using?

341 - 360 of 376 Posts