AVS Forum banner

Do you prefer the white or black housing for the Optoma CinemaX P1/P2?

361 - 376 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks! I will also be doing a 120” screen. Which center channel are you using?
I'm using a Focal CC700v. Attached a picture of how it's sitting on its temporary stand.

I don't remember how much I could raise it before it would start getting in the way of the image, but I think it wasn't much higher than that. The speaker is quite high though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gaming Mode on P1 had way too high sharpening active, maybe its the same with P2?
Switch looked fine with sharpening of +3 - maybe +4 but everything else looked very ugly - like screenshots above.
Thank you for this - it really does help make the image produced bearable. @Grazed, make sure to test it out as well. For me, I'd say that the sweet spot lies at +3. Upon extensive testing today, I found out that the image looks bad with Gaming Mode on, when the initial source is 1080p. Doesn't look that bad when the initial source is 4k.

Random info I found out - the projector stores any settings you change while in Gaming Mode, per type of pixel format. Eg if Nintendo Switch is my input source, and I toggle of Gaming Mode, sharpening +3 (and possibly other changed settings) kicks in. Switch is RGB. If I toogle it on from my HTPC, which is currently 4:2:2, the respective settings I have set for 4:2:2 kick in. Could replicate it again as well.

Coupled with the fact that it deactivates the geometrical correction, it makes it totally useless for me.
Sorry - that sucks big time. Gaming Mode toggled off makes most game categories unplayable. They really should have been more clear that turning it on disables even the manual geometrical correction, and not that it just disables the "SmartFIT" feature and PureMotion.

I'd be grateful if a P2 owner could provide me with the measurement from the edge of the lens recess to the back of the case as shown by the red arrow. I'm trying to design a furniture layout before I make any actual purchases, and Optoma told me they couldn't provide me with any dimensional/angle info for the beam. I'm trying to figure out how I can mount a center channel above the projector rather than having it sit under the projector at floor level so I'll have to find a speaker with suitable dimensions to not obstruct the beam. Thanks!
Heya, I just measured approximately 16cm.
I would add just in case that while the distance you asked for may be 16cm, as correctly pointed out by @Spekuloos, from arrow's starting point till completely back of projector is 17,5cm - mind the pointy part at it's middle. Will the furniture go all the way back to the wall? If yes, I don't think you'll have any issue with any normal size of a center channel, as projector needs quite a lot a space far from the screen to project eg 120'', as well as height from bottom of projector to lower side of screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm good here, but i have a question that you might already know the answer to!

I just bought a cinemax p2 and I'm very happy with the huge thing!
Also I bought 2 DLP HI-Shock 3d glasses for some 3D action!
The app plex (through 1gb network) doesn't support 3d on its own, it needs to be forced into 3D or the beamer needs to be set to 3D <- issue there is that the movie (3D SBS/OU) cant be forced? and the beamers 3D menu stays grey/unusable.

I don't have a blu-ray player, ps4 or xbox one.
All i have is a pretty ok PC (AMD 3700, 32gb mem, 500gb m2, RTX 2060 super (HDMI 2.0, DP)
I downloaded VLC, Plex(server and client) and what ever 3D program i could find...
Non of them i had luck with until i found a way to force the SBS/OU option in Kodi!
3D works, but somehow it's presented wrong, SBS would be just 2x 2D, OU would be also 2x 2D, then Interlaced gives me the 3D but in a SBS/OU way that makes my head spin.

Now i have an 11 year old laptop with a NVIDIA video card and then with Kodi i get the option to use "hardware based" this gives me the same weird SBS/OU view

I emailed Optoma, and they responded that the beamer is 3D capable but even with the specs of my PC they had no clue if my PC was capable of 3D...some knowledge they have....

Also tried a raspberry PI 4b, 2D works great over network/Kodi no 3D support though. (Would Nvidia shield work?)

Did anyone tried to play a fully 3d blu-ray ISO from a PC and succeeded or do i need a dedicated device?

/Edit/
Can i sideload Kodi and how?
/Edit/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not normal for the unit. Check the "Altitude setting." Make sure that's set to off. These units run incredibly quiet. Every once in awhile I'll boot up the device and the fan will go nuts, but a simple reboot removes the problem. If nothing else, I'd get a new unit as that isn't normal.
I just got my second Optoma P2 from amazon and it does not have the buzzing sound that my first unit had. Its a breath of fresh air since that noise was driving me insane. Glad to know it was just a defective unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got my second Optoma P2 from amazon and it does not have the buzzing sound that my first unit had. Its a breath of fresh air since that noise was driving me insane. Glad to know it was just a defective unit.
All newer UHZ65UST models seems to be affected by the buzzing - first gen production batches are fine tho. I hope your defective P2 (UHZ60UST) was just fluke ....
Optoma said about UHZ65UST buzzing that is inside "tolerance"...yeah right...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm good here, but i have a question that you might already know the answer to!

I just bought a cinemax p2 and I'm very happy with the huge thing!
Also I bought 2 DLP HI-Shock 3d glasses for some 3D action!
The app plex (through 1gb network) doesn't support 3d on its own, it needs to be forced into 3D or the beamer needs to be set to 3D <- issue there is that the movie (3D SBS/OU) cant be forced? and the beamers 3D menu stays grey/unusable.

I don't have a blu-ray player, ps4 or xbox one.
All i have is a pretty ok PC (AMD 3700, 32gb mem, 500gb m2, RTX 2060 super (HDMI 2.0, DP)
I downloaded VLC, Plex(server and client) and what ever 3D program i could find...
Non of them i had luck with until i found a way to force the SBS/OU option in Kodi!
3D works, but somehow it's presented wrong, SBS would be just 2x 2D, OU would be also 2x 2D, then Interlaced gives me the 3D but in a SBS/OU way that makes my head spin.

Now i have an 11 year old laptop with a NVIDIA video card and then with Kodi i get the option to use "hardware based" this gives me the same weird SBS/OU view

I emailed Optoma, and they responded that the beamer is 3D capable but even with the specs of my PC they had no clue if my PC was capable of 3D...some knowledge they have....

Also tried a raspberry PI 4b, 2D works great over network/Kodi no 3D support though. (Would Nvidia shield work?)

Did anyone tried to play a fully 3d blu-ray ISO from a PC and succeeded or do i need a dedicated device?

/Edit/
/Edit/
NVIDIA removed 3D TV features in their graphic cards some time ago.
I would suggest getting a dedicated media player such as NVIDIA SHIELD for viewing 3D contents, files.
It also has KODI on android TV apps without even sideloading.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only problem I'm left with is that occassionally when starting a new Blu Ray Disc, the image would be brighter on the right side of the screen compared to the left side and this break is exactly in the middle of the screen (almost as if there's a vertical line in the exact middle of the screen). Then somehow, by fiddling with the 3D settings (and I'm not watching 3D), it would correct itself and be fine for the entire viewing. I don't know if this is the HDMI cable (which I can't determine if it's ultra-fast or not) or the EDID 1.4 setting (I can't seem to get the 2.0 setting to work, which may be an indicator of the cable).
I have the same issue with the right side being brighter than the left. I have not been able to resolve it. For some reason I cannot get into the 3D setting to fiddle with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
/Edit/
/Edit/
Yes, and it's extremely easy. I'd say the easiest way would be to download the .apk from kodi.tv on your phone, and provided that you have set up TapCast, click on the "Upload AKP" icon (yeah, they mistitled the button) to upload the .apk to the projector.

It would be so damn awesome if P2 could actually output Atmos and HDR from it's apps. That way I personally wouldn't need to buy any other device as I intend to do, as I'd play anything straight from P2's Kodi. I'd create an SMB network and just throw any movie at it this way.

Regarding Atmos, unfortunately I've found the statement below to be plainly false :/

And regarding HDR, the native "Media" app is the only one that toggles the projector in HDR mode when HDR content is recognized (or even HLG only from media app + only from usb stick).

Generally it's a great projector, but I'd really like for them to be in contact with their customers more. Active reddit presence? An official Optoma forum? Something. Way too ideal, I know.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
NVIDIA removed 3D TV features in their graphic cards some time ago.
I would suggest getting a dedicated media player such as NVIDIA SHIELD for viewing 3D contents, files.
It also has KODI on android TV apps without even sideloading.
Nvidia shield doesn't support 3D frame packing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi. Would like some pics or suggestions for cabinetry setup of PJ with center channel, Aerial Aoustics CC3, so pretty big speaker. Also, how do you disable the inboard speakers and set up for 5.1? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi. Would like some pics or suggestions for cabinetry setup of PJ with center channel, Aerial Aoustics CC3, so pretty big speaker. Also, how do you disable the inboard speakers and set up for 5.1? Thanks.
Heya, to disable the P2's speaker and use your 5.1 system instead you just open the menu, go to sound settings and there is a button for that.

The sound doesn't seem to be totally disabled since it still makes noise when turning on/off, but it's definitely disabled when playing content.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Heya, to disable the P2's speaker and use your 5.1 system instead you just open the menu, go to sound settings and there is a button for that.

The sound doesn't seem to be totally disabled since it still makes noise when turning on/off, but it's definitely disabled when playing content.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, first time here. I had this P2 for three months now, currently hook up with Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 - no ALR just BEHR paint Pencil Sketch color grey wall eggshell on a 9 feet tall wall. P2 is calibrated with color maxed 50. I have no 5.1 system due I am living in an apartment - so it's just the 2.0 built-in soundbar + stereo jack to a standalone 200w Klipsh subwoofer. Works well and not as immersive as true 5.1 setup.

I am amazed and happy with this projector. Below photos are shot on my iphone 12 mini with accurate exposure what I see in real life so you get the idea of the image quality of this projector.

361 - 376 of 376 Posts