AVS Forum banner

Do you prefer the white or black housing for the Optoma CinemaX P1/P2?

121 - 140 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's possible, even likely, there could be other changes such as a faster (if slightly) core processor to account for the reduced latency as well. I am also not seeing any of the HDMI sync issues I had with the p1 in my setup (Denon 8500, Nvidia Shield Pro, Windows PC with Nvidia 2080ti) all in 4k.
Something may be up with the P1 hdmi ports. Everyone has had issues with various devices. Mine only stopped when I got the HDfury Key to get Dolby true HD and DTS MA to my non arc receiver. Even with its minimal EDID management it solved all my dropout issues. It was a very nice surprise as I just wanted the audio extractor but was amazed that is solved every single one of my dropout issues, completely.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
P2 arrived yesterday, remote control was broken and image flickering on start up, image quality might be minimally better but projector looks cheep and plastic made. Optoma nailed it with the P1 jet space black as it look very elegant and luxurious unit, choosing the shiny white on the P2 was a mistake, P2 goes back!!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
EDIT: Never mind, thought the user manual would indicate a hatch on the left side of the input field but that's probably just the area for the product sticker...

·
Premium Member
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Which projector do you find better in overall quality?
The P2 has the superior image over the P1. Same brightness but higher contrast and better colors due to the 6 vs 8 segment color wheel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Finally got a chance to play around with mine a bit last night, managed a bit of time with No Man's Sky and watched about 15 mins of Ready Player One to try out the 3D. Absolutely amazing and couldn't be happier with the setup.

Does anyone have an idea of where to start with calibration for this (figures to get in the ballpark)?

·
Registered
476 Posts
P2 arrived yesterday, remote control was broken and image flickering on start up, image quality might be minimally better but projector looks cheep and plastic made. Optoma nailed it with the P1 jet space black as it look very elegant and luxurious unit, choosing the shiny white on the P2 was a mistake, P2 goes back!!!
I think the white looks fine over the black. Certainly it doesn't look cheap. It's the same exact enclosure except for color. But I would have also preferred black. White seems to be the trend for some reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally got a chance to play around with mine a bit last night, managed a bit of time with No Man's Sky and watched about 15 mins of Ready Player One to try out the 3D. Absolutely amazing and couldn't be happier with the setup.

Does anyone have an idea of where to start with calibration for this (figures to get in the ballpark)?
Ordered the P2 yesterday to replace my 3yr old Xiaomi Mi laser UST. Am also interested in recommended calibration settings.

·
Registered
462 Posts

@clrad What is your player/source for 3D? 3D on my P2 looks absolutely horrible!!

I'm using Blu-Ray's, MVC's, HSBS etc... and it just looks horrible with wrong colors and a pixelated mess! On the P2 The DLP Link sync color is Purple which I've never seen before; I've only seen Red or Green on past projectors. IIRC Vincent from HDtest mentioned in one of his vids a Xiaomi that was purple too, but the 3D didn't work right either. Maybe it's a bad unit?

I've tried using PowerDVD 19 and MPC-HC with MadVR. I'm tempted to change video drivers for my AMD 5700XT to see if that's the issue.

My Fengmi has a Manual 3D mode and I get a very 4K like ( 3D image via MadVR. If the P2 (or P1 for that matter) had a manual 3D option it would be so much better!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Just out of curiosity: What happens when you change the 3D option from "DLP-Link" to "3D-Sync"?

Page 35 of the user manual: https://www.optoma.com/us/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2020/08/Optoma-P2_UM.pdf

Given the absence of a "3D Sync" 3D VESA port on the P2, it sounds as if the P2 could support compatible 3D-RF glasses using an internal RF emitter (like the Sonys do). I'm probably dreaming here, but it's better to have asked and receive a "No", than not have asked at all.

Given the fact that flatscreen manufacturers no longer support 3D, I've always considered it a very smart move that front projector manufacturers still support 3D, but - of course - they should see to it that it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is my quick review of the P2. I had it for 4 days. I was upgrading from LG PF1000U that I gave to my son for his dorm living room. My first impression was it was very quiet. My first impression of the image quality was ok. It was definitely brighter but was it worth 3x the price. It was not the same wow factor when I first got the LG PF1000U. I had low expectations for the 1000U and I was impressed for the price point. As I started to understand the settings for Apple TV 4K outputs and started to actively seek out 4K HDR material on Netflix, Disney +, Amazon and youtube, I started to really appreciate the P2 more. I watched Pandora in 4k HDR last night and I was wowed. It took me a few days for that to happen. I also ordered the optoma alr101e screen that will be arriving today. My concept is to have an extra screen in the living room for daytime viewing. Not sure how that will work out because the P2 is bigger and heavier than my first imagination of moving the projector back and forth from the bedroom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is my quick review of the P2. I had it for 4 days. I was upgrading from LG PF1000U that I gave to my son for his dorm living room. My first impression was it was very quiet. My first impression of the image quality was ok. It was definitely brighter but was it worth 3x the price. It was not the same wow factor when I first got the LG PF1000U. I had low expectations for the 1000U and I was impressed for the price point. As I started to understand the settings for Apple TV 4K outputs and started to actively seek out 4K HDR material on Netflix, Disney +, Amazon and youtube, I started to really appreciate the P2 more. I watched Avatar in 4k HDR last night and I was wowed. It took me a few days for that to happen. I also ordered the optoma alr101e screen that will be arriving today. My concept is to have an extra screen in the living room for daytime viewing. Not sure how that will work out because the P2 is bigger and heavier than my first imagination of moving the projector back and forth from the bedroom.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is my quick review of the P2. I had it for 4 days. I was upgrading from LG PF1000U that I gave to my son for his dorm living room. My first impression was it was very quiet. My first impression of the image quality was ok. It was definitely brighter but was it worth 3x the price. It was not the same wow factor when I first got the LG PF1000U. I had low expectations for the 1000U and I was impressed for the price point. As I started to understand the settings for Apple TV 4K outputs and started to actively seek out 4K HDR material on Netflix, Disney +, Amazon and youtube, I started to really appreciate the P2 more. I watched Pandora in 4k HDR last night and I was wowed. It took me a few days for that to happen. I also ordered the optoma alr101e screen that will be arriving today. My concept is to have an extra screen in the living room for daytime viewing. Not sure how that will work out because the P2 is bigger and heavier than my first imagination of moving the projector back and forth from the bedroom.
How was the Optoma ALR101e? Saw it went on sale for $499. It seems to go on/off sale quite often.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
How was the Optoma ALR101e? Saw it went on sale for $499. It seems to go on/off sale quite often.
It is OK, but it mainly reduce ambient light from above and not from other direction. UST projectors are promoted as "big screen TV" and some even listed under TV section, however, daytime viewing is disappointed with P2 and ALR 101e combo. My UHZ65 with regular ALR perform better with ambient light on, so I am really not sure the benefit of UST except the placement benefit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’ve had the p2 with the 120” Grandview screen up now for a week or so. It’s OK, but I’m a little disappointed. This is my 4th projector, my last was a Sony 1080p in a light controlled room. i moved and did not have a place for a theater room, so I placed this in the family room. While there is no direct light on the screen, during the day its kind of hard to watch. Definatly not a TV replacement.

it is better than the Sony it replaced, just expected a little better. Maybe I should have gone with a smaller screen. Also my Grandville screen had a few marks in it, I’m probably the only one that will notice, but at $1600 I would expect better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looking for some help, so would appreciate it if you steered me in the right direction. So far, I feel the projector is just OK - I actually think my Benq 4K projector at half the cost is better at this point (unfortunately, I don't have access to that projector at the moment).

Purchased a Cinema X P2; picture looks dim with room lights on; image is OK with lights out. The screen is an Elite Screens 120" Cinegray 3D ALR screen. Picture with my older Epson HD projector looks fine with both room lights on and off, so I don't think its the screen.

Is it the settings on the P2? Is it the UST with the screen? Do I have a lemon? I have about 2 weeks to return the Cinema X, so need to make a decision soon on keep versus return.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Looking for some help, so would appreciate it if you steered me in the right direction. So far, I feel the projector is just OK - I actually think my Benq 4K projector at half the cost is better at this point (unfortunately, I don't have access to that projector at the moment).

Purchased a Cinema X P2; picture looks dim with room lights on; image is OK with lights out. The screen is an Elite Screens 120" Cinegray 3D ALR screen. Picture with my older Epson HD projector looks fine with both room lights on and off, so I don't think its the screen.

Is it the settings on the P2? Is it the UST with the screen? Do I have a lemon? I have about 2 weeks to return the Cinema X, so need to make a decision soon on keep versus return.

Thanks in advance.
your screen is not for UST projector.

121 - 140 of 251 Posts