AVS Forum banner

Do you prefer the white or black housing for the Optoma CinemaX P1/P2?

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes but many coming from a LED tv might feel different oftentimes

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
Yeah not coming from a led tv. My viewpoint is from a non enthusiast point of view. Not going for the best but from a good enough point of view. I saw a wall size led screen in a restaurant, it was impressive. I thought it was a projector at first but told later it was a $20000 led screen. Yeah led would be better.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like it. It is way better than a regular screen during the daytime. I can enjoy it during the day but yeah P2 performs better at night. They SmartFIT worked great. Not sure if I am losing resolution by doing the smartfit. I didn’t notice any loss of quality. I really like P2 and ALR101e. My experience is limited to only few projectors but I like UST for my setup. The speaker is ok and definitely usable without a sound bar.
With smartfit or Warp Mode you're definitely losing pixels because you're literally cutting them off the screen. That said there are 8.3 million of them so unless you're sitting around 7-9 feet you may not notice.

I think the P2 has a soft image anyway compared to my Fengmi so I think it's best to get as many pixels as you can on the screen. YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With smartfit or Warp Mode you're definitely losing pixels because you're literally cutting them off the screen. That said there are 8.3 million of them so unless you're sitting around 7-9 feet you may not notice.

I think the P2 has a soft image anyway compared to my Fengmi so I think it's best to get as many pixels as you can on the screen. YMMV.

Yeah not sure if the P2 could be any sharper. It looks perfect for sharpness. Maybe my eyes are not that good anymore. Yeah I might rethink my setup but probably not for awhile. Now I am thinking about getting a 120" version of the UST ALR screen. I would have probably even liked an bright 1080P UST projector. The LG1000U was great but only good for night time. Now I can enjoy 100" during the day which is probably worth the extra money.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So, quick follow up. I called Optoma this morning, and they said ANY ALR screen should work; they could not recommend one particular screen or another. I did buy an Insignia screen yesterday to try it out; picture is much better in the dark - but, since not ALR, not very good with lights on.

With all due respect to Optoma, I don't think this projector is right for my application, so it will be going back. Will try a regular projector, since that seems work great with this screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I'm still on the fence about purchasing a P2. One big thing Id like to know is does it have an 'instant on' type of feature? I don't want to wait 30 seconds for the projector to boot up every time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all. I'm still on the fence about purchasing a P2. One big thing Id like to know is does it have an 'instant on' type of feature? I don't want to wait 30 seconds for the projector to boot up every time.
It is not instant. I think less than 10 seconds. PF1000U was instant, and I miss that feature in the P2 but still worth it.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
So, quick follow up. I called Optoma this morning, and they said ANY ALR screen should work; they could not recommend one particular screen or another. I did buy an Insignia screen yesterday to try it out; picture is much better in the dark - but, since not ALR, not very good with lights on.

With all due respect to Optoma, I don't think this projector is right for my application, so it will be going back. Will try a regular projector, since that seems work great with this screen.
Sure, any ALR will work, just a much dimmer picture than the screens specifically designed for UST.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Yeah any screen even the wall will look pretty good in the dark and also work. If you want to watch the P2 in daylight, you need an ALR screen designed for UST projector. ALR101e is designed for P1/P2 and works well. Yeah if you have a dedicated home theater room, probably the extra cost of UST can be used elsewhere. UST provides an easy clean setup that is really portable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just learned that the Samsung Premier is for sale now and the lower price model has instant on feature. This is getting interesting to choose between the Optoma & Samsung...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi everyone - do we know if gaming / input lag has been improved for the P2? I remember the P1 being somewhere at around 110ms input lag while the P2 was rumoured to be around 60ms? Read it somewhere but can't find the original source. Any experience on that front?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi everyone - do we know if gaming / input lag has been improved for the P2? I remember the P1 being somewhere at around 110ms input lag while the P2 was rumoured to be around 60ms? Read it somewhere but can't find the original source. Any experience on that front?
In Game Mode it feels about the same as my rooted Fengmi and that's been tested as low as 32ms.The P2 can accept a 1920x1080 120hz signal, but I couldn't feel any difference gaming at that refresh rate. I'd be interested to see some tests but I didn't detect any lag.

Definitely good enough for non competitive gaming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My son who notices input lag played on the Nintendo switch with the P2 and he said he didn't notice much input lag.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
So, quick follow up. I called Optoma this morning, and they said ANY ALR screen should work; they could not recommend one particular screen or another.
You definitely did not speak to anyone at Optoma who knows what they are talking about. A traditional ALR screen works on a principle of angular reflectivity and will reflect light back at the inverse angle in which it hits it. If you use a screen like this (Black Diamond, Slate, Firehawk, etc) the light coming up from the UST projector will be reflected to the ceiling and not to the audience.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi,
I'm assuming yours is a 120" screen. Do you mind sharing the distance from the laser to the bottom of the screen? Trying to figure out if I have enough height for 120".
Thanks,
Sam
The bottom of the screen is 40.5” from the floor. The top of the shelf the projector is setting on is 22.25” from the floor. He back of the projector to the wall is 16”, front of projector is 30.75”.

yes it’s a 120” screen.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Hi,
I'm assuming yours is a 120" screen. Do you mind sharing the distance from the laser to the bottom of the screen? Trying to figure out if I have enough height for 120".
Thanks,
Sam
These units have a variance for offset, so not every unit will be the same distance beneath the screen for the same screen size.
For a 120, the top of the projector to bottom of screen will fall between 10.609" - 15.61"

·
Registered
14 Posts
These units have a variance for offset, so not every unit will be the same distance beneath the screen for the same screen size.
For a 120, the top of the projector to bottom of screen will fall between 10.609" - 15.61"
View attachment 3044807
This is very helpful. With 8.5' feet of basement wall, I wasn't sure how low to the ground I need to place this device. This provides me with a very good estimate. Thank you!

161 - 180 of 201 Posts