Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings :)

Ok so you all know a little about the Optoma Movie Time DV10. You know it's portabilty is unique. Take it outside, take it camping. Show a big screen movie on your garage door for the neighbors kids. Or if you in New York how about "Up on the roof" :)

Very bright projector with it's RGBWRGB color wheel, 850lumens tuned, 1100lumens choosing the game video choice. You'll notice the brightness in the pictures. Projector tuned simply with the AI feature using Avia for blacks whites colors tint. Even though the players in the digital domain like DVI there's color and tint adjusments available. On to the pictures.

enjoy

http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10dvdlogo.jpg
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10top.jpg
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10rear.jpg

http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10contrastratio.jpg

http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10galaxyquest1.jpg
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10galaxyquest2.jpg

http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10gladiator1.jpg
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10gladiator2.jpg
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10gladiator3.jpg
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10gladiator4.jpg

http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10startrek1.jpg
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dv10startrek2.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
When you say tuned to 850 lumens can you expand on that a little, the photos look remarkably blue/green to me. Are there controls for greyscale correction or at least temperature selection? Could you also explain your method of measuring your achieved 2550:1 ansi contrast, that truly is remarkable. Judging solely from the photos it also appears there is significant pixel cropping on the right side, perhaps 20 pixels??

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a basic tune was done, turned down the brights and uped the white level. Very convienent color and tint was availalbe for digital DVD and used colorfacts for a CR measurement. A light meter was used to the lumens test. There are full RGB-contrast and RGB-brightness adjustments in the user area, these already had tuned factory numbers, I didn't use them.

Re pixel crop, what you're seeing there is under zoom on the right side or miss alignment. But good catch I checked deinterlacing and the DV10 did well but didn't look at overscan. They show an aspect of 16.9 1.1 but there is a couple percent of overscan all around, plus there are 5pixels cropped all around. Y/C delay is perfect at zero. Wing is the aspect guy I'll ask why he did that.

Also I took a look at HDTV last night. With this signal since you can't use Avia I used my eye to tune plus needed to use the RGB advanced adjustments. One look at the Comcast INHD tune up conrast pattern showed me I needed to take out a little green and blue. After making the steps of gray real gray, TV images looked excellent.

The projector has very low video noise, much like the fammed NEC HT1000. Buyers of the H27 plus this one will notice this right off. Scaled HDTV and DVD will look smooth and film like. Since someone mentioned they're using the Ti solution for scaling/deinterlacing which the NEC HT510 is using I can understand why the video noise is low and image is film like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking that with its short throw, I can set the unit at the foot of my bed 6 feet from the wall and still get a decent rptv sized image, and I'll be watching it from 14 feet back. For this application, it's a non typical setup, more like watching a 60" rptv from 14 feet back. So I'm trying to feel out how this viewing experience would compare to a rptv since it's still cheaper and far less cumbersome, plus I can move the dv10 to the living room for watching movies on a proper 8 foot screen.

so, how's the internal deinterlacing and scaling for watching stv from a non hdtv satelite reciever as the source ? ie will the dv10 look as good or better than a mid priced rptv for wathing 4:3 ...cnbc, pbs... etc.

and regarding stv, since the 16x9 (854x480) image at 6 feet will be 57"x32" , if I'm watching stv, the dv10 will give me a 4:3, (640x480) 43"x32" screen size. is this correct?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The deinterlacing is very good. I checked it with movies this morning with the classic Star Trek Insurrection. There's a slow panning rooftop angles scene in the very begining and the roof edges were nice and smooth. Plus it played the opening spaceship fly by scene of the Galaxy Quest movie smooth with no jerky effects. For sure the deinterlacing is very good.

SD looks excellent for what it is, you'll have natural 4.3 inside the 16.9 frame with bars on the sides. HDTV looked super, almost like viewing a true HD projector, the high contrast and 3D image plus how clean it was had me fooled. :)

In reading the manual this morning it says 16.9 1.1 aspect is for PAL, 1080i, 720p mainly. For 480p DVD it says the 16.9 aspect s/b used and it's matching 854X480. It says using 16.9 1.1 for the other resolutions will pixel match better for a super clean image. This is what I did for HDTV, probably why it looked so good.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
Just a basic tune was done, turned down the brights and uped the white level. Very convienent color and tint was availalbe for digital DVD and used colorfacts for a CR measurement. A light meter was used to the lumens test. There are full RGB-contrast and RGB-brightness adjustments in the user area, these already had tuned factory numbers, I didn't use them.

Hi,

The colorfacts photo showing the contrast number implies the 2550:1 contrast was an ansi contrast measurement, is that true? Regarding the RGB factory tuned numbers it appears they are tuned specifically with lots of green for added marketed brightness, not sure if you are conducting a review as indicated but if so why you wouldn't use the tools (colorfacts) at hand to properly calibrate before posting shots?

Quote:
Also I took a look at HDTV last night. With this signal since you can't use Avia I used my eye to tune plus needed to use the RGB advanced adjustments. One look at the Comcast INHD tune up conrast pattern showed me I needed to take out a little green and blue. After making the steps of gray real gray, TV images looked excellent.
Ok, this may expain my previous question, are you saying you can't use Avia calibration DVD with this PJ? That seems very odd, what prevents this calibration dvd from being used, is it lack of a menu chapter advance system?

Thanks,

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's an on/off CR level. The coloring looked very good and I saw punched in numbers in the RGB area. Figure I'd just show how good it looks at stock.

HDTV is a different signal level that needs it's own tuning, the RGB adjustments needed to be used to make best grays.

Avia was just used for the internal DVD player.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Arggh!, It's getting close to the time I have to return the instant HT Movie Time. I'm going to miss it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My early impression with this unit, so far, is very good.

It was setup with an 80†wide white parkland sheet screen and from 1.6x screen width viewing distance. User mode on the display menu was chosen with color settings toggled down to 50. Unfortunately, I don’t have any calibration tool to measure it with nor the experience. :eek:

I noticed details were excellent, due to the overall control balance of sharpness, color, contrast, black level, and brightness levels. Compared with my Sony HS20, the DV10 bested the same images in almost every aspect, not by a wide margin though. As for brightness they were both equally bright but the slight edge goes to the DV10 for a wider option mode in brightness. Where it fell short was in having a lesser fine look due to its lower resolution.

I used Star Wars: AOTC disc to see how the built-in DVD player fares with other up-conversion players, such as Zenith and Oppo (recently bought last week). Of the 3 players tested, the built-in player gave me the most positive impression, especially details during the star field scenes in the movie. However, it wouldn’t be fair to count the other 2 out b/c they were attached to my HS20 at that time.

Color again seems more accurate than my Sony but you may want to toggle the settings down a bit to produce a more film-like image. Picture looks great; matched against the Infocus 4805, which I saw many months ago, I prefer the natural look of this DV10. Also, it delivered better contrast and darker shadow details as well than the 4805. And Image sharpness is nothing to complain about as they never looked soft in any way. I even calibrated my Sony well enough to match it closely with the DV10.

Some minor quirks though, during dark scenes. I found some irregularities, a not so smooth black, but some kind of pixelations that produce a rainy effect. Also, sde at times were quite noticeable unless you sit 1.7x screen width and beyond. But the nice overall picture quality overshadows such minor flaws. In fact, I recall being bothered so much with sde in the 4805 but not so much with this unit.

There is a feature called Image AI that works effectively but not as dramatically expected. It improves contrasts by controlling the light output during brighter or darker scenes to make background details more defined. There were some scenes in the movie where background areas, during brighter or darker scenes, couldn’t be very well compromised. However, with the AI feature on, the same exact areas were somewhat enhanced but not quite as dramatic. And the reason I say not quite, b/c I was able to calibrate my Sony to look almost similarly the same as with the Image AI on, during brighter and darker scenes. Probably when time permits, I might be able show comparison screenshots off, instead, so you can see what I’m really talking about.

All things considered, you really can’t go wrong with this projector. It is superior to other budget projectors in terms of picture quality and features, and also pretty much succeeded with having the complete home theater portability in mind. Add the Graywolf screen and you definitely have a killer HT to scare off others in the competition going for twice the price.

Tom, have you ever tried the subwoofer with this puppy? I agree with you -- audio sounds better than expected. :)

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good, Subwoofer not yet. Stereo mini pin adaptor is needed. Any mosquito noise could be helped by lowering brightness. Use the Avia brightness pattern, go up to the screen till you can barely see the dithering of the left moving bar. Take a look at sRGB it looked very natural on my DV10.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Hi Tom!

My father in law to be is interested in this after seeing my h57. While it has a headphone jack which is GREAT, is there any CC?? He will want to enable that for cable TV when he hooks that in.

If not, how DOES one use CC with projectors? Thanx! d

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He can get captions from the DVD's but with TV the STB would hv to do it. Not many co's set up for CC with their cable boxes, none that I know of really.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Colors are great and if you like very bright this is the one. I measured 25.5ft candles which makes it 850lumens in econo mode. I got 11.5ft candles with the H31 and 17.5 ft candles with the H79. Man it's bright. Black level is still low at 0.06 contrast ratio was 2550.1.

So by the numbers it would appear to be very nice. :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good, Subwoofer not yet. Stereo mini pin adaptor is needed. Any mosquito noise could be helped by lowering brightness. Use the Avia brightness pattern, go up to the screen till you can barely see the dithering of the left moving bar. Take a look at sRGB it looked very natural on my DV10.
after spending more time w/ it last night I ended up using the sRGB mode -- w/c is the most natural.

I don't have any Avia disc but I know there's a way to get rid of that mosquito noise...just need more time. thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is the preferred way to get HDTV content into the DV10? I just got digital cable from Cox locally, and I know it includes some HDTV channels. Will I need an adapter for the VGA-in port on the projector?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It comes with a VGA to component adaptor. Or you could use a long component to VGA cable. HD looks awesome on this machine.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Hey Tom, always the first again. Did you get a chance to form an opinion about its absolute black levels vs the H31? IE, how black was black?

Cheers

Steve

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.