AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hopefully getting the theater room setup over Thanksgiving weekend. I would really like the GT720, but it seems that it is only available at Best Buy for almost a c-bill more than the GT700 from all kinds of places. I understand they are almost the same, but the 720 has a 3000:1 contrast ratio versus 2500:1. I couldn't care less about the extra 200 lumens as it is a light controlled room but getting better contrast is important to me. I'll be running it in a basement with dark walls, controlled lighting on a dimmer and probably in the neighborhood of a 96" RS-MaxxMudd Retro screen directly on the wall.

The question is twofold. Is Best Buy really the only authorized place to get the 720? Is the extra contrast ratio likely to be noticeable in that environment?

Thanks for any help. We will likely order/buy something Monday unless the weekend gets away from us. The theater room is the next big purchase after the laptop, and needs t happen in thenext couple weeks starting with the projector.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Coincidentially, I'm on the phone with Optoma right now trying to get to the bottom of that very question because I ended up with a GT700 not realizing that there really were two different products (GT700 / GT720)...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo_reich /forum/post/19515417

Coincidentially, I'm on the phone with Optoma right now trying to get to the bottom of that very question because I ended up with a GT700 not realizing that there really were two different products (GT700 / GT720)...

I would love to know what you find out!

·
Registered
331 Posts
:sigh:

You could tell he was quick-scanning the datasheets of both units and just reading off the differences. As for the contrast ratio, however, that is only because the lumens are higher. Contrast is rated as "can you see the pixel turn off and on" make the display brighter and its easier to see them change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts