AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happily enjoying my H31 on an 84" Carada screen at about 11 feet back.

One thing I have started noticing are areas of horizontal lines during bright or fast scenes.

They look like scan lines to me but are only is certain areas of the screen and are not there all the time.

I am considering replacing my older Pioneer DVD megachanger (480i only via component) thinking that the Optoma is having deinterlacing issues but before I get ride of what might be a perfecly good DVD player I thought I would ask what others think might be going on.

Thanks all

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
If it's lines that move up the screen it's a ground loop problem. Test by using a cheat plug that deletes the thrid ground prong.

·
Registered
520 Posts
there's lots of scan lines / tearing issues with the H31 & HTPC use but this is the first I've heard from a player

Tom's right, first try isolating it from your ground and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lines don't move and they don't span the entire length of the screen.

Let's say that someone on screen moves their head quickly or the camera pans quickly you can see faint horizontal lines near the area of movement for a second or two.

It seems pretty consistant with every DVD I play.

Could it be the player?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That sounds like "tearing" or "combing" as described on the HQV DVD. This is similar to the panning artifacts that I saw on the Infocus 4805 and 7205.

Since you're using a 480i component input, the problem is in the PJ. It is associated with the problem of converting a 24fps source signal (film) to the 30fps video frames. I have a Panasonic RP91 DVD player and I can see that artifact on the HQV DVD mixed mode test (30 fps scrolling titles over a 24fps film source) when I'm using progressive scan (the DVD player doing the decoding) but not on 480i (the PJ doing the decoding).

You can get rid of this problem by getting a good (read newer) progressive scan, or up-converting DVD player, see the DVD Player (standard) Forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.