AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Optoma H31 projectors (one for standby -- just in case).

Love these and because I reall never watch HD, they're perfect for DVD's.

(Even better maybe than an HD displaying SD?) (Is that possible?)

Anyway --

I set up an HTPC with the a good Geforce 512mb video card with DVI out and

have beeb browsing some internet content as well lately.

The problem I'm having is with the text that is displayed over the net (very blurry -- but of course, to be expected for a projector image size).

I was wondering if I would see an improvement in text resolution if I went to a 720 or 1080 dpi preojector. (I mean a real noticeable improvement).

If not, I'll just stick with my H31 as this is the only flaw I'd like to improve on.

THANKS for any help.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You WILL be blown away by the difference and sharpness of the higher resolutions. A 720p image will be like looking at your computer screen's text at a resolution of 1280x720 (standard laptop screen size+/-). Most people unfortunately have their pc's monitors set at a low default like 1024x768. I'm betting you are only getting about an 800x600 image resolution off your current H31/HTPC setup. (Right click on your desktop, select properties, then go to the settings tab). If you really plan on using your projector for computer tasks (like web surfing), then perhaps you should consider upgrading to the 1080p projectors. HD20 has a lot of promise for a sub $1000 projector as well as the IN-X10. 1080p will increase your resolution to 1920×1080. At that resolution, your text will be as sharp as any magazines printed text. ... of course this is all pending your screen size as well. As long as you are not to far over 100", you shouldn't have to worry to much about that.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcramdon /forum/post/17048021

I have a pair of Optoma H31 projectors (one for standby -- just in case).

Love these and because I reall never watch HD, they're perfect for DVD's.

(Even better maybe than an HD displaying SD?) (Is that possible?)

Anyway --

I set up an HTPC with the a good Geforce 512mb video card with DVI out and

have beeb browsing some internet content as well lately.

The problem I'm having is with the text that is displayed over the net (very blurry -- but of course, to be expected for a projector image size).

I was wondering if I would see an improvement in text resolution if I went to a 720 or 1080 dpi preojector. (I mean a real noticeable improvement).

If not, I'll just stick with my H31 as this is the only flaw I'd like to improve on.

THANKS for any help.

It was time to upgrade 3 yrs ago

Just kidding.

Text and HDM do however tax an H31. For your intended purpose, a 1080 signal on a 1080 PJ will provide a "real" improvement.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcramdon /forum/post/17048021

I have a pair of Optoma H31 projectors (one for standby -- just in case).Love these and because I reall never watch HD, they're perfect for DVD's.(Even better maybe than an HD displaying SD?) (Is that possible?)nyway --I set up an HTPC with the a good Geforce 512mb video card with DVI out andhave beeb browsing some internet content as well lately.

The problem I'm having is with the text that is displayed over the net (very blurry -- but of course, to be expected for a projector image size).I was wondering if I would see an improvement in text resolution if I went to a 720 or 1080 dpi preojector. (I mean a real noticeable improvement).If not, I'll just stick with my H31 as this is the only flaw I'd like to improve on.

I have an old H31 and it shows an amazing picture - even better when fed HD material. The main advantage of higher projector resolution is the ability to sit closer and not see SD. Of course print is clearer but it really depends on your source.

How is text when viewed directly as compared to off the Net? If the local text is clear enough for you, it is unlikely that the Net will improve. It's most likely a problem with the text generated by the Net sited or the way the graphics card interprets the text commands.

Getting a new projector just to read text isn't the best reason to upgrade, especially when you have a nice projector now. Of course if the cash is burning a hole, then HD resolution is certainly nice to have. It is only incrementally better though; I don't find it astounding. In fact I found it astounding how good 480p really is.

Oh, and I just calibrated and watched a movie on my H31 a few weeks ago, it was great. In fact, I am keeping that projector and selling my 720p instead - because the 720p is huge and the h31 is small and convenient and I really didn't see that big a difference between them when showing high quality material. I need the H31 to be portable for the cabin, and it fits the bill.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my desktop text doesn't look much different than my browser text on the H31.

I would imagine, just like an increase in any PC monitor resolution's that I may see better text on a 720 or 1080 -- just how much improvement on a 60" wide screen is the question. Unlike a monitor, that's damn big.

The fuzzy text can almost hurt your eyes.

I did change the text properties in my desktop but really, arial is the way to go -- a different font or going bold doesn't help.

The video on the other hand looks great and 480 for internet looks very good.

I'll have to try it sometime -- I do have this spare H31 I could sell and maybe get a used 720.

HD65? HD70? or?

If I didn't like to read so much off the net, I wouldn't care.

I love online magazines and news etc.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something I wasn't even aware of that made a substantial improvement --

right click display>properties>appearance>effects

"clear type"

Crap, I didn't know they even had font smoothing !

Big difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.