AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently helping an associate build his new theater and was wondering if the H79 is worth the extra substantial cost over the H78. He really wants one of the new 'dark chip' projectors. Any savings is always a plus. Anyone out there who can really substantiate the differences would really be a big help. :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Optoma has published different specs for the projectors but I would think it would be hard to tell the difference. Nonetheless Optoma claims superior performance for the H79 in areas of brightness, contrast and lamplife. The H79 has a much stronger warranty which is probably worth about $400 in my opinion. It would be worth even more if after 2 years there was a problem with the H78. Warranties are very important for projectors as opposed to many other types of electronics. Projectors generate a lot of heat so the possibility of heat related damage is real plus it is never a shocker when someone reports problems with their color wheel. Unfortunately projector repairs are very expensive and a 1200-1500 repair bills are not uncommon.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
404 Posts
I highly doubt an H79 makes any sense for someone who is aware of the existence of the H78DC3. Even if there's any difference between the two as Optoma claims that difference is gone with your first bulb change. BTW, I bought an H79 2 weeks before the H78DC3 was announced!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherman
I highly doubt an H79 makes any sense for someone who is aware of the existence of the H78DC3. Even if there's any difference between the two as Optoma claims that difference is gone with your first bulb change. BTW, I bought an H79 2 weeks before the H78DC3 was announced!
I think now that the Optoma H79 price has gone back up it makes it a harder decision. It kind of like should I spend a fortune on cables - is it going to make a difference. The extra year warranty and 1 year advanced replacement is worth something.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys. I really appreciate the input. The H78 sounds like such a bargain for the close if not almost equal performance compared to the H79. To pay 3 times the price for the H79, I would expect at least something extraordinary in its performance. I have no experience at all with optoma projectors so input from our great forum members is very valuable to me. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Three times the price? What are you talking about?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Noah, whoa! I know the H79 was being discounted, but the latest info I have on that is that it was at least a 50% surchage on the H78. Or, put another way, the H79 costs at least 1.5x the H78 (though some dealers are still selling the H79 for 3x the cost). I have heard this 10% difference in another thread, but thought there was only one vendor who was doing this. Definitely not typical and I do not know of anybody who bought the H78 from that dealer, so can't verify if they are truly authorized or not.

So the question is: Is the H79 worth 50% over the H78? What do you get for your money? a) an additional 1 year warranty, b) slight improvement of PQ. Is this worth it? Depends on whether you can throw $1 to $2k away on those above items. I have not heard of anybody saying that the H79 is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the H78. Projectorreviews even compared the H78 favorably to the Marantz S4 (which IS 3x the cost).

Everything comes down to price vs performance in my book. If $ was no object, then we would all be buying Sony Qualias, right? And I am sure the S4 is better than the H78 - but how much of this is discernable by the naked eye? Perhaps for some it may be noticeable and worth it.

All I can say is the H78, Oppo w/DVI and Graywolf on non-HD DVD looks incredible. When HD DVD comes out I am sure it will even be better. If I never buy another PJ as long as I live, I can be happy with my purchase.

But I understand for others who want the absolute best and can afford it, the H78 may not be enough for them.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jkirby is right about the limited 'low' price offer that was being advertised. This of course was just a temporary issue that has now extinguished itself.

Thuan 98 verified what I already knew to be true. Thanks thuan98.

I believe the H78 to be the best single chip DLP projector out there at the price it is bringing. I absolutely love it. I am the 'DLP CHALLENGED' minority who has to have LCD projectors not because they are better but because of my eye strain sensitivity to DLP products. I am very sad about this but what else can I do? :(

I am getting off track here a little bit as the projector I am inquiring about will be put in someone elses theater as I am just the helper on this one.

The H78 up here in canada is actually a little over 3x the price. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuan98
It's true!

H79 is 3x the price of HT78DC3 from ProjectorPeople

Thuan
hmmm... well, it's more like 2.5x and the H79 is listed as MSRP. Methinks that that wil not hold up. On the other hand, maybe it will.

chris

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Allot of speculation on the H78 vs the H79. First testor showed some significant lumens difference. I've had PM's from someone seeing a soft image (the optics). There may be a difference. I've asked Optoma to send me an H78 so we can get to the bottom of it, not yet but I'd expect they will send me one. They are sending me the DV10 so the relationship is still good.

Hope the end the debate sometime soon.

My guess is the H78 will at least be 75% of the H79. High end hand picked parts do matter.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
My guess is the H78 will at least be 75% of the H79. High end hand picked part do matter.
With all due respect, it better be substantially better than 75% of the H79, otherwise they have a serious QA problem (considering you are only talking about variations within parts from the same production runs).

R.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
I've asked Optoma to send me an H78 so we can get to the bottom of it, not yet but I'd expect they will send me one. They are sending me the DV10 so the relationship is still good.

Hope the end the debate sometime soon.
I am anxiously awaiting this one. I realistically have 2-3 months before I begin working on my HT, as the Honey-do list of the new home is HUGE!

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Key things being a lumens and contrast ratio test. Interesting but I got 585lumens in econo and 2900.1 with the H79 tuned to D65k, exactly what WSR got.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I received quotes on both the 78 and 79. The prices were about 12% different. No where near 50% upcharge on the 79. (78 selling at MAP)

As ALL projectors go down in price with time, it would seem very unlikely that they can now raise the price of the 79 as some suggest.

But, if I'm wrong, it wont be the first time. LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
The H79 is only available to CEDIA installers at this time. There *may* be a handful of product still out with internet dealers, but it would be very rare to find one. Anyone can advertise a certain product, but can they deliver ? Since one can't visually tell the difference between the H78 and the H79, the only way one can be sure is to ask for the serial number, and then call Optoma to verify.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.