AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a Optoma H78DC3. Will this benefit from an external scalar like a DVDO or Lumagen? I will be watching mostly SD Dish and DVD (via a yet-to-be purchased or decided upon player).

I was previously looking at getting an Infocus 7210 and was told that it would not be necessary.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have a H78DC3 at the moment. I'm not using a scaler as all my sources are HD, so I just send the PJ a 720P signal & be done with it. If I was an SD guy, I would have gone the In-Focus route (7210 or 7205). The Faroudja processing of the In-Focus is much better than the Optoma.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,744 Posts
I am very happy with the Lumagen. No only does it do the scaling well, it does away with the Optoma's annoying slow sync speed. Plus you get a built in DVI swtch if that is of any interest. It has total aspect control and allows perfect 1:1 pixel mapping to the H7x line. No more cropping (unless you want it).

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
The current DVDO will do [email protected] output, but this only works with non-HD sources (like SDI input from a DVD player). There is a new DVDO product mentioned here that will be announced on Monday, and my hope is that it will do the same output from 1080i film sources and work well with this 2:2 pulldown (to avoid the judder of 24Hz sources at 60Hz). If it does, then this with an H78DC3 or H79 could be a killer combination.

--Darin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.