AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in a thread somewhere that either the Optoma H78 with DC3 or the Optoma H79 had sufficient zoom that it could be mounted in such a way that one could watch a 16:9 image that fills the screen (left to right), then when a 4:3 movie is on, hit the zoom and now the image completely / exactly fills the 4:3 format screen, so there are no black bars on the left and right.

Which of these projectors allows this? Both?

How do I figure out where that magic point (or range of points) is in the room? My screen will be 96" wide (if 16:9, 110" diagonal, 96" wide, 54" tall).

Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Confused.. Either you have a 16:9 or a 4:3 screen and watching one format on the other will have black bars unless you want to crop the image which normally does not work real well with 4:3 because yoy lose to much of the image. In reality your image height should stay the same and you should simply widen the image for widescreen HDTV/movies. Not to mention the 4:3 images are generally going to have less quality and then to stretch it out even further and lose more quality.. I would just get a 16:9 screen and deal with the side black bars or use some drapes for masking..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use a motor 4:3 screen and you could fill the whole width and height with the screen fully extended using the zoom at maximum. The optoma would then project black on both sides of the screen. Displaying 16:9 one could lower the screen about 2/3s "unzooming" the picture smaller again. Again filling the whole screen in the width and visible height of screen.

I think there is an article on projectorcentral that covers the topic in detail.

Another thing I guess on ecould do is have a 1:2.35 screen. Filling the whole width with max zoom and 16:9 material with min zoom. Of course using drapes on the sides like in a real cinema :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.