AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered an Optoma H79 from an online vendor. They told me it comes with Optoma's standard 1 year warranty. I understand that they have just changed to a 3 year warranty for the H79 with overnight exchange. Will this warranty be included, do you think? Also, wasn't the prior H79 warranty for 2 years? Maybe the sales guy didn't remember correctely. He didn't sound very convinced.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
Mine came with a 2 year warranty ( that was 6 months ago - it may be 3 years now ), and I added 2 years of warranty service for $ 295.00. I plan on keeping mine for quite a while! Check the Optoma website.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spoke with a rep at Optoma. The minimum advertised price on this unit is $7,999. That means any dealer advertising it for less is not authorized. Many places are using bait and swich tactics too. Optoma has been working to dry up the inventory supply to the unauthorized sources. Most online vendors offer a unit without any warranty - that is the bottom line. Will Optoma authorize warranty work if something goes wrong....according to the rep - NO. It will be interesting to see what happens with so many people just trying to get the cheapest price even if it means no warranty or piece of mind.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Optoma prominently features a 3-year warranty logo on the H79 web site and nowhere do they mention anything about authorized/non-authorized resellers and warranty implications. If they do refuse to honor the 3-year warranty then they are engaging in false advertising. It looks like Optoma likes to make the rules as they go, until they get a call or two from a lawyer that is. Besides, they didn't mind selling all that stock to the "unauthorized dealers", did they?

When I first got my H79 I sent this to optoma via email:

" I noticed the web page for the H79 lists a 3 year warranty and 1 year advance replacement-yet the paperwork in the box says 2 year warranty and no mention of advanced replacement. If I keep the H79 which do I have the 3/1 year or the 2 year warranty? If it's the 3/1, how is that established, if I need service in the third year or need advance replacement, since my paperwork says 2 years? "

This is the reply from a "Jamie Do" at Optoma: "all h79 has 3 year warranty with 1 year swap period."

I am saving THAT email!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brotherman, that's the way I see it as well. These are warranted products from authorized dealers and Optoma can't really change their warranty policy as it suits them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherman
Optoma prominently features a 3-year warranty logo on the H79 web site and nowhere do they mention anything about authorized/non-authorized resellers and warranty implications. If they do refuse to honor the 3-year warranty then they are engaging in false advertising. It looks like Optoma likes to make the rules as they go, until they get a call or two from a lawyer that is. Besides, they didn't mind selling all that stock to the "unauthorized dealers", did they?

When I first got my H79 I sent this to optoma via email:

" I noticed the web page for the H79 lists a 3 year warranty and 1 year advance replacement-yet the paperwork in the box says 2 year warranty and no mention of advanced replacement. If I keep the H79 which do I have the 3/1 year or the 2 year warranty? If it's the 3/1, how is that established, if I need service in the third year or need advance replacement, since my paperwork says 2 years? "
Hmm...interesting. What do they mean by "1-year advance replacement..."

Does the 3-year warranty cover both labour and parts plus return shipping?

Is there also a warranty for dead pixels (mirrors) in the paperwork in the box?

If there is, what do the small prints say? --- Only when the dead pixels are in the center of the panel or they could be any where on the panel?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I understand it, Optoma has a zero dead pixel warranty for this projector, anywhere on the screen. It's not so likely with DLP though, but nice nonetheless.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The current warranty is 3 years with the first year as a replacement. I haven't had to take advantage of it too many times with my customers fortunately, but a couple instances I did, and it was taken care of very quickly.

Pertaining to online vendors. This is a custom installer piece. There are indeed a lot of online dealers advertising it and saying they are legit, even though they aren't. There are also legit dealers out there. It's sort of hard to weed through them. My suggestion is get it from someone reputable you know of. If they advertise on ebay for instance, almost guaranteed they are not authorized. Also, Optoma does not allow online pricing to be posted (below MAP). If you see a place with a price lower than MAP posted, chances are they are not legit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"It looks like Optoma likes to make the rules as they go, until they get a call or two from a lawyer that is. Besides, they didn't mind selling all that stock to the "unauthorized dealers", did they?"

Actually, Optoma didn't sell them any of those units, hence the "unauthorized dealer" line. If it's a gray market product, the warranty *may* be voided.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Jason,

I do not know about that. I've been dealing with you on trying to get a replacement and you told me you are out of stock, and for me to deal with the warranty people. I'm still trying to get a response from them. This is from a brand new unit which was received with a problem from the start. It has now been over 2 months.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Optoma was whoring out the H79 like a $5 toothless streetwalker only a few months ago. Once the price bottomed out and "legit" dealers started complaining, they scrambled to release the H78DC3 and promote the identical (please prove otherwise) H79 to protected status. For them to claim the H79 is now a "boutique" piece is absurd.

The cows are already out roaming the pasture. Way too late to close the barn doors.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls-eye
Hey Jason,

I do not know about that. I've been dealing with you on trying to get a replacement and you told me you are out of stock, and for me to deal with the warranty people. I'm still trying to get a response from them. This is from a brand new unit which was received with a problem from the start. It has now been over 2 months.
2months, I don't get it. You have a problem you call the Tech area, right then and there you get an RMA. More details?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just spoke with someone at Optoma. They said if I purchased the H79 from a "non-authorized" dealer, that they would likely only warranty it for 2 years without the 1 year swap out. Not warrantying it was never a question, according to the customer service guy I spoke with. As it turns out, I cancelled the order and got it from Jason at A/V Science. Just so you all know, Those guys (at A/V Science) are the best!

By the way, I asked if all you guys who bought H79's through authorized dealers prior to August would retroactively get the 3 year warranty with 1 year swap out. He said this question has not yet been decided, but the longer warranty would likely not be honored.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem is with a flashing orange temperature light that comes on when the unit is shut down. I am still able to watch and use the projector, so I have not needed to push for an answer. At this time I have been in touch with Optoma and am waiting for a tracking number. I have been told that the turn around time will be quick. We will see. Having calls returned has been slow from Optoma and AVS.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Sounds like you're ok. In the future I'd keep calling and not leave a mesg waiting for a call back, or go to a higher up. Raymond Mar is the cust service Mgr. he's more likely to pick up the phone. He did when I called last week. What you do is get to his direct number from the phone directory voice system.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls-eye
The problem is with a flashing orange temperature light that comes on when the unit is shut down. I am still able to watch and use the projector, so I have not needed to push for an answer. At this time I have been in touch with Optoma and am waiting for a tracking number. I have been told that the turn around time will be quick. We will see. Having calls returned has been slow from Optoma and AVS.

Wow, I just received my H78 last Thursday and I have the same problem. The blue light flashes for 2 minutes, goes off, and then the orange temp lights flashes for another minute before the unit finally shuts down.

With warranty issues such as this, will Optoma reimburse shipping charges? Paying $36.00 to ship a 5 day old projector back to them does not make me a happy camper.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jason T(or anyone else from AVS),

Can you comment on how bulls-eye's situation can be avoided/resolved? I am myself interested in purchasing a H-79 from AVS, but this is a little concerning.(I do understand that every situation has two sides!)

thanks!

Austin

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.