AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I saw the Optoma HD 180 at Costco a couple of days back but can hardly find any reviews online. I see it listed on OptomaUsa.com.

Anyone has any feedback or review on this one. Looks very similar to the HD20 in price and features. Any feedback is much appreciated.

-S

·
Registered
935 Posts
It's entirely possible that they are the same projector. Manufacturers will often give a new model number to items sold in warehouse stores.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
These are starting to pop up at Costco's all over; my local one just got a giant pallet of them in.

They appear to be HD20's but there are some subtle differences: For example the published specs on the HD20 give a 4000:1 contrast ratio, for the HD180, 3500:0. I know what manufacturers report and what reality gives often differ however this seems to suggest either the contrast is slightly lower on the HD180, which would mean they are using a different TI chip, or perhaps Optoma just decided to publish specs that better reflect real-world performance, I don't know.

Also published noise levels for the HD20 are 32/34db in regular/bright mode - it's known to be a noisy projector. For the HD180 they claim 29/31, which probably means they are just using a different fan. Still fairly loud.

Other than that most other specs, including dimensions, weight, throw, lumens, etc, look the same. So call it a "HD20 lite" if you like

The thing is, the Costco price I see it for is actually a little more than what you can get the HD20 for online, so unless a couple DB (claimed) noise reduction means that much to you this really isn't that great a deal. Now, if they put these out there for like $799 or something this will be the steal of the year but that isn't looking likely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked one up at Costco out of curiosity wondering if was of any value for home entertainment and my wife and I were both so impressed with the picture quality, size and quality, we are setting up a home theater on a low budget using our existing audio gear. The most surprising thing was that everyone told us we'd have to spend several hundred dollars for a special screen, but it is working amazingly well projecting directly on to an existing wall that has a knockdown texture, Gliden satin traditional tan latex paint and making an image 12.5 feet across! The viewing angle is nearly 180, limited by perspective rather than brightness or color. We are using it only at night in a dark room or with some low light behind the projector. It has electronic keystone (skew) adustment, so it does not have to be centered vertically with the wall or screen. Zoom is limited, size mainly controlled by distance to the screen. Durability unknown, just got it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like all costco stores carry this now. Good thing is Costco has 90 days return policy, costco gives 2 year warranty and if you use amex card to buy, amex gives one more year of warranty in addition to manufacturer's warranty. I guess 90 day return policy + 3 year warranty is a good deal.

Tried this projector, amazing quality. No noise at all, fan turns on only when the projector is turned off and it runs for few seconds. May be 2.5 hours of movie is not enough to heat up the bulb. Did NOT see any rainbow effect even in low quality videos. All thumbs up from me. 100 times better than a LCD flat screen TVs. Occupies no space when mounted on ceiling.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ7 /forum/post/18839558

I found this link

I've looked all over and that's all I can find, must be new.

I looked at the link and found another small difference and it appears that the HD180 has a 1-year lamp warranty over the HD20's 3-month lamp warranty. I guess you could say thats a "comfort" bonus. Same lamp spec-wise though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New to this so pardon my ignorance...

I am looking at projectors too and this one on their site looks good. I want to project from the rear for outdoor movie night and wondered if reverse imaging is pretty standard these days, etc?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlexus /forum/post/18973395

New to this so pardon my ignorance...

I am looking at projectors too and this one on their site looks good. I want to project from the rear for outdoor movie night and wondered if reverse imaging is pretty standard these days, etc?

Thanks for the input!

duh...found my answer!

·
Registered
990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix /forum/post/18900589

...Also published noise levels for the HD20 are 32/34db in regular/bright mode - it's known to be a noisy projector. For the HD180 they claim 29/31, which probably means they are just using a different fan. Still fairly loud....

I have the HD20 and came from the HD70. The HD70 claimed 28db in eco (or normal mode, not bright mode) and the HD20 claims 32db in normal mode. But personally, I used the HD20 with no sound for well over an hour during setup and video/game testing; and the noise was silent. Sounded the same as the HD70 to me, nice and silent. When doing video testing with my laptop, everything was silent. But when I did game testing with the PS3, the PS3 (which I normally thought of as quiet compared to my 360) was the loudest thing in the room.

Anyway, I don't think people will find the HD20 noisy at all in normal mode. Haven't really used the bright mode without sound yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme /forum/post/18988366

Can anyone post the firmware. Might bd the same as the hd20 C07 ?

HD20 C08 Feb 2 2010

8051 FW C03

nice rename to HD180 from HD20 with little tweaks in firmware

I'm returning this to ******

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I buy this Optoma HD180 off Ebay for $620. (Open Box item - Store Return)

When I receive it, the serial/model number sticker had been removed from the bottom of the projector. So It does not say hd180 anywhere on the projector.

It has firmware version C07 and My pc and mac recognize it as an hd20.

Is anyone else's HD180 recognized as an HD20? Or do I actually have an HD20?

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, looking at the chart from that link (thanks very much for that), what's the difference when it says:

Recommended for use: Office vs Home Theatre

They sure do have very very similar specs. I wonder if you put these side by side, if you'd be able to tell any difference. Or is it just "marketing". That's my guess.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Since there is no thread for Optoma HD180, I would post it here.

I have about 35hr on HD180. Does anyone here have a calibration set up for it? Can uou post it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
so can anyone say if this has the bottom row pixel delay as the hd20?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 720p sanyo projector now...it is lcd because I could see rainbow effects in the optoma hd60 720p projector I had...

would there be any new technology in this hd180 that would make me NOT see any rainbow effects? Id like to upgrade to 1080p.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts