AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to buy ? I have a infoucs in 76 and a infocus x9 I like the extra brightness of the x9 but i think the in76 has a more refinded picture, I want to get a 1080p what would be the best upgrade Optoma hd 20 or infocus x10 thanks for your thoughts. I use a 120in wide screen

·
Registered
200 Posts
This member makes a comparison of the X10 with their IN76.

The X10 in low power mode with the iris opened up was brighter than my 700hr IN76. Not sure how it would stack up to the X9. However, I'm really liking the overall picture with the iris stopped down to 36 and the bulb broken in. Picture wise, the X10 improves on the IN76 in all aspects. Most notably resolution. Some Blu Rays the difference is subtle. On others it is very noticeable. It all depends on the quality of the master.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=668

I'm also looking at the X10 and HD20. I am concerned about the sharpness/lense quality of the HD20 because of it's introduced pricing so I am waiting for a review

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too am curious to hear what the professional reviews have to say about these new $1k 1080p projectors. I'm really close to pulling the trigger but trying to wait for some reviews as well as seeing what happens in mid to late september.

I'm new to the projector world, typically how much delay is there between a new projector being released for retail and professional reviews coming out? Just curious when I can start expecting the first round of reviews (days, weeks, months??).

·
Registered
875 Posts
It seems to be worth waiting for the Benq w1000 (August 24) which is bringing the "Unishape" technology down to this price point and possibly the new vivitek (if it's not a copy of the hd20) There appears to be enough critical mass for some shoot-outs in short order - if you can wait until the opening weekend of football season you should have a better picture.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wanted to start a thread like this but after reading all over here Ive finally convinced myself to wait til after CEDIA even if I still get a HD20 or X10, maybe we will see a price drop after new models hit the streets.

Its hard waiting especially since I am projector-less at this time. Sold my IN76 2 days ago, now waiting to upgrade. Sucks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
The X10 has the following advantages over other cheaper models (from spec and experience with other Optoma PJs)

1. Onboard Manual IRIS

This is the biggest advantage. Once you start using a manual IRIS based projector you understand the flexibility it can bring in viewing different kind of materials.

I moved from the HD65 to Infocus IN80(X10 variant) and now to IN81 and all I can say is for movie watching the IRIS can help you achieve a real film like appearance with nice blacks and lot of depth to image compared to a big TV like appearance from the HD65 or any other high lumen PJ without IRIS. My movie watching has changed after I had the IN80.

While watching sports you can open up the IRIS to enjoy it in full glory.

The advantage the IRIS brings cannot be achieved by increasing or decreasing brightnes / contrast or gamma setting. You have to see it to blv it.

2. Better Lens and sharpness - It is a all glass lens and not a plastic lens. The same lens is used by the high end Infocu models. The HD65 lens was not so good. Not sure what the HD20 uses. Hope they have started using good lens.

3. Color - I hasve used 2 Optomas (H27 and HD65) and 3 Infocus (IN72, IN80 and IN81) till date and even though I liked the H27 and HD65, the Infocus is way ahead in terms of colors in terms of out of box and calibrated. I hope the HD20 offers better color than previous models.

4. Advanced features like ISF Day Night.

Downsides of X10

1. Throw ratio. Needs bigger room to get a bigger picture

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirbana /forum/post/16998118

The X10 has the following advantages over other cheaper models (from spec and experience with other Optoma PJs)

1. Onboard Manual IRIS

This is the biggest advantage. Once you start using a manual IRIS based projector you understand the flexibility it can bring in viewing different kind of materials.

I moved from the HD65 to Infocus IN80(X10 variant) and now to IN81 and all I can say is for movie watching the IRIS can help you achieve a real film like appearance with nice blacks and lot of depth to image compared to a big TV like appearance from the HD65 or any other high lumen PJ without IRIS. My movie watching has changed after I had the IN80.

While watching sports you can open up the IRIS to enjoy it in full glory.

The advantage the IRIS brings cannot be achieved by increasing or decreasing brightnes / contrast or gamma setting. You have to see it to blv it.

2. Better Lens and sharpness - It is a all glass lens and not a plastic lens. The same lens is used by the high end Infocu models. The HD65 lens was not so good. Not sure what the HD20 uses. Hope they have started using good lens.

3. Color - I hasve used 2 Optomas (H27 and HD65) and 3 Infocus (IN72, IN80 and IN81) till date and even though I liked the H27 and HD65, the Infocus is way ahead in terms of colors in terms of out of box and calibrated. I hope the HD20 offers better color than previous models.

4. Advanced features like ISF Day Night.

Downsides of X10

1. Throw ratio. Needs bigger room to get a bigger picture

A bit bias towards infocus? What about the cons of

Mediocore blacks

Bulb life will cost ya a fortune

Its huge!!!

No buttons on unit no remote no work :p

And so on....

Just had to toss some truth in there on the negative side of things.

It is a good projector and looks nice. But my friend wished he never bought it. Bulbs are killing him. If ya gonna use for movies only sure. Movies, TV, and gaming the hours rack up way to fast.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah optoma bulb goes for 2hundred and something while the infocus is closer to $400. Plus the infous is $200 more expensive and is being dicontinued. I think the whole point of the optomahd20 is it is one of the first 1080p projectors to break the $1000 barrier. I have owned both an infocus 4805and optoma dv10 (480p) in the past and both were nice projectors. All of the past reviews of optma and infocus projectors have been pretty favorable over the years so I would be surprised if the Optoma HD20 is a dud. My hd20 is arriving today and I have a Panasonic ae2000, Samsung 710 and Panasonic ax200 to compare it to and will post my opinion.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix2 /forum/post/16998217

A bit bias towards infocus? What about the cons of

Mediocore blacks

Its huge!!!

And so on....

It is a good projector and looks nice. But my friend wished he never bought it. Bulbs are killing him. If ya gonna use for movies only sure. Movies, TV, and gaming the hours rack up way to fast.

The blacks are actually pretty good if you are willing to use the iris and sacrifice some lumens. I use low power with the iris stopped down (36) and am very pleased with the black level. The picture is still quite bright. I actually emailed Art asking if he used the iris and if so what settings. I never got a response and his article never mentions it's use. So I can only speculate that he did not experiment with this feature.

Honestly I don't understand why a projectors size is an issue. Once it's mounted why would it ever matter again?

Bulb cost seems to be about what the IN76 would be. I haven't looked at Optoma's cost closely. A quick search looks like the Optoma is cheaper by about $100. If you for whatever reason go through a large number of bulbs, that may be a genuine concern. Of the 3 friends I have with projectors, none have replaced their bulbs with normal viewing over the last 3 years. I did not replace the bulb in my IN76 after owning it for about 3 years (1000 hrs on it). So, again, whether this is a relevant concern will depend on usage habits.

The X10 is not without negatives. A couple of people have reported issues with the remotes. The projector could be considered a bit noisy if you are sitting right under it (though it is quieter then the IN76 it replaced). It's color wheel speed may cause issues with people who suffer from DLP rainbows. It's offset is very steep which limits it's placement flexibility.

I haven't seen the HD20, so it's not really possible for me to make a direct comparison. I can speculate the the X10 with it's iris settings can allow for a better a black level (again with the sacrifice of brightness). The X10 has nearly perfect calibration out of the box. The X10 is likely to have a higher quality lens due it's higher initial price (it was not originally priced to be in this bracket). The HD20, on the other hand, is less expensive. Is supposed to support 3D. Is physically smaller (if for some reason you have ceiling space issues). It is probably quieter than the X10.

The HD20 hasn't had any professional reviews, but I would bet it does quite well. If I were buying today with the information I have, I would say that the X10 would still be my choice. I think it's optics will give it a slightly sharper picture. It will be pretty much perfectly calibrated out of the box. It's iris will allow me to control the black level and adjust it as the bulb ages. And I'm not terribly interested in 3D at this point. The HD20 is a great product and I think it will be making a huge splash at its price point. In fact I have a friend with an apartment that wants a projector and I recommend this unit based on the X10's placement issues and my positive experiences with the HD70.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Quote:

A bit bias towards infocus?

What reason would I have?

My first PJ was a Optoma H27 which I loved and bought after comparing with the Infocus 4805 and found it better for blacks.

Replaced the H27 with Infocus IN72 as it was superior to H27 and was my best 480p PJ.

Replaced IN72 with Optoma HD65 as it offered more value for money. It was then only I started understanding the color advantage of Infocus.

Replaced HD65 with IN80 and it was a machine in a different league. I have the IN81 now.

I don't see any reason for biasness. As a consumer I am sharing what I have seen and buy what I like. And I do not work for Infocus for records.

If you care to read my post I did not mention that X10 is better. I just stated some advantages which some buyer should keep in mind before buying.

I have not seen the HD20 but being a budget model it is only speculation that components are compromised to some extent. As a consumer I will be happy if that is not the case and would welcome such a change.

The X10 is not a budget model. The chip is the only item that is budget. The rest are same as the high end siblings. That makes it more value for money.

It will be great if the HD20 is better than the X10 as we should see new models that rea better than old models.

Quote:

What about the cons of

Mediocore blacks

Have you seen the X10 with IRIS engaged? You won't comment on black levels if you see the IRIS working. I have used 4 DC2 chips and 1 DC1 chip and from my experience if I have to rank the black levels

1. IN81 DC2 has the best black level

2. X10/IN80 (DC1 with IRIS)

3. Optoma H27 DC2

4. Optoma HD65 / IN72 DC2

Quote:

True. But if I have to choose between good claibrated color and good sharpness against average sharpness and color I would buy an expensive lamp anyday. If the HD20 offers same color ad sharpness, one should buy the HD20 staright away.

Quote:

Its huge!!!

Most other HD PJs are huge as well. Small is good but have you ever thought what is inside that makes it weigh more. Most full HD PJs even in DLP are more than 4 kg in weight. I have no idea why but could be due to quality components. I could be wrong but just a guess

Quote:

This is not a must have requirement. The IN8X range is meant for custom install and most ppl do not use the top buttons anyway. But I agree buttons should have been provided. Does it affect picture quality ? NO.

Quote:

Appreciate that

·
Registered
520 Posts
My HD20 just arrived!!!
My initial impressions are the thing is pretty light especially compared to my samsung and panny ae2000 and the lens cover is Very very cheap piece of plastic. Almost like a yogurt cover lid. I guess they were trying to save money and put as little money as possible towards the lens cover. I hope they didnt cut corners when it comes to the most important thang...Picture quality...Will keep everyone posted unfortunately dont have x10 to compare it to but have samsung and pannys as comparison.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder /forum/post/17000482

My HD20 just arrived!!!
My initial impressions are the thing is pretty light especially compared to my samsung and panny ae2000 and the lens cover is Very very cheap piece of plastic. Almost like a yogurt cover lid. I guess they were trying to save money and put as little money as possible towards the lens cover. I hope they didnt cut corners when it comes to the most important thang...Picture quality...Will keep everyone posted unfortunately dont have x10 to compare it to but have samsung and pannys as comparison.

Subbed for your review. I am very close to pulling the trigger for the HD20. I just want to see a few more reviews.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wow hooked it up and all I have to say what a POS...Honestly I think my unit may be defective...It is really LOUD. It is also not behaving normally..I can hear the fan speed up and slow down and the screen colors and brightness blink intermittently like something is wrong. I think I have a defective projector...Gonna cycle it down and try again later but so far very unimpressed. Colors off...not sharp and LOUD!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have in 72 over 3000 hrs in76 just over 3000 hr just bought new bulb put in the in 76 was expecting it to be way brighter it was not much brighter than the old bulb, bulbs for infocus 400 ver 250 for opt hd 20 I have had good luck with bulb hrs, but how do opt bulbs last ver infocus

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder /forum/post/17001026

Wow hooked it up and all I have to say what a POS...Honestly I think my unit may be defective...It is really LOUD. It is also not behaving normally..I can hear the fan speed up and slow down and the screen colors and brightness blink intermittently like something is wrong. I think I have a defective projector...Gonna cycle it down and try again later but so far very unimpressed. Colors off...not sharp and LOUD!!!

The HD20 fan noise is 32/34db according to the specs, I'm not suprised it's loud. I will wait for offcial reviews but your post doesn't fill me with confidence, the X10 is looking better and better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts